Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #346

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
A 50mm is called a 50mm because that is the focal length of the lens, and it doesn't change. If you never put it on any camera at all, it is still a 50mm.
Yep.

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
I'll say it in stupid terms for you so you can understand. A 50 is only called a 50 because it's a 50 on 35mm, but put it on an APS-C it zooms forward, on a medium format it zooms backwards, this called crop factor and this crop factor is measured by 35mm... I don't think I can say it any simple than that...
Nope. Hey look, I made a tutorial for you! I'm the nicest guy that I know.

10-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #347
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jake, you explained that well, but APS-C lenses are often optically identical to FF lenses of previous generations, no? So in those cases it is the exact same lens that uses the "fullframe" standard, right? Only the sensor is smaller.
10-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #348
Pentaxian

Then, take the first situation/diagram (24x36mm) and imagine you'd take the negative, develop it then cut its edges with a pair of scissors to APS-C. It's exactly the same thing, except the cutting takes part in the camera - and the only difference between an APS-C only, "full frame" or medium format 50mm lens is the ability to cover the respective format without mechanical vignetting.

Every capture is a crop from the image circle, but the lens has no idea how much you'd crop.
10-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #349

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Then, take the first situation/diagram (24x36mm) and imagine you'd take the negative, develop it then cut its edges with a pair of scissors to APS-C. It's exactly the same thing, except the cutting takes part in the camera - and the only difference between an APS-C only, "full frame" or medium format 50mm lens is the ability to cover the respective format without mechanical vignetting.

Every capture is a crop from the image circle, but the lens has no idea how much you'd crop.
yep.

10-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #350
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the issue is more what you are used to. If you are used to a certain field of view with a certain focal length, then anything different seems different. I think people who have used lots of different formats don't get nearly as perturbed by the different formats. It just isn't that big a deal.

The biggest problem is that for a long time the camera companies sold APS-C as giving extra length to your lenses (which it doesn't, except if pixel density is higher). Although, it was probably more true in the past when, for instance, there were APS-C with 18 megapixel sensors and most of Nikon's full frames were just 12 megapixels.
10-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #351

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the issue is more what you are used to.
I actually completely agree.

I hate shooting APS-C because of the small viewfinders. However, I was shooting a sony alpha NEX 5 the other day and LOVED it. The big screen on the back gave me more of the familiar feel that I was used to - basically a big (electronic) viewfinder. Felt just like home.
10-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #352
Pentaxian

I don't know about you guys... it doesn't matter what lens it is , what format it is, what the name of the camera is, you look though the viewfinder and you see what you've got.

QuoteQuote:
basically a big (electronic) viewfinder. Felt just like home.
You mean like on a point and shoot? Two words for you "live view."

10-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #353
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Think of the focal length as a size 'L' t-shirt.

Whether its worn by a short guy who swims in it, a big guy who it fits well, or a big fat sumo wrestler who splits the seams trying to put it on, it is still a size L shirt. The shirt never changes, its what its being used on that changes.
10-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Whether its worn by a short guy who swims in it, a big guy who it fits well, or a big fat sumo wrestler who splits the seams trying to put it on, it is still a size L shirt. The shirt never changes, its what its being used on that changes.
that's a good comparison (or at least to me)
11-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #355
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I wonder if Pentax is worried that you guys will drop a giant can of Foster's on the lens?
Foster's has never really been all that popular here In Australia, at least since the Barry McKenzie days. Much better beers to be had like Cooper's for instance
11-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jakeblues Quote
I actually completely agree.

I hate shooting APS-C because of the small viewfinders. However, I was shooting a sony alpha NEX 5 the other day and LOVED it. The big screen on the back gave me more of the familiar feel that I was used to - basically a big (electronic) viewfinder. Felt just like home.

Funny, I'd chose the exact opposite
11-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #357
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One potential advantage of crop sensors is avoiding vignetting found in some FF lenses. Or, if an older FF lens was kinda crappy around the perimiter, this should automatically be cropped by the sensor. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
I'm using a couple FF lenses now - the FA 100mm macro is very nice on my K-5 (and the K-10 before it). I hope it will be as nice on the mythical Pentax FF camera.
11-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #358
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markac Quote
Foster's has never really been all that popular here In Australia, at least since the Barry McKenzie days. Much better beers to be had like Cooper's for instance
See, this is why I love this site! Thanks for the heads-up Now I know what to order when I make a trip down there
11-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
One potential advantage of crop sensors is avoiding vignetting found in some FF lenses. Or, if an older FF lens was kinda crappy around the perimiter, this should automatically be cropped by the sensor. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
I'm using a couple FF lenses now - the FA 100mm macro is very nice on my K-5 (and the K-10 before it). I hope it will be as nice on the mythical Pentax FF camera.
Vignetting - yes. Crappy around the outside - I've yet to see a FF lens that has worse LP/PH values in FF than in APS-C, when comparing reasonable FF and APS-C cameras.
11-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #360
Veteran Member

A Pentax FF .... ... is it April fools day again ...