Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I personally was tired of waiting. Too many rumors for too long for a Pentax FF. I went ahead and bought a D600.

Will I regret it IF Pentax ever comes out with a FF camera? No, no I will not. I will have been shooting with a great FF camera for at least a year if not longer by the time the Pentax is released (if ever). It is better to shoot with a FF camera now than wait for a year (or more) for Pentax to get on the ball, especially for the low (relative) price and outstanding IQ of the D600.

10-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I personally was tired of waiting. Too many rumors for too long for a Pentax FF. I went ahead and bought a D600.

Will I regret it IF Pentax ever comes out with a FF camera? No, no I will not. I will have been shooting with a great FF camera for at least a year if not longer by the time the Pentax is released (if ever). It is better to shoot with a FF camera now than wait for a year (or more) for Pentax to get on the ball, especially for the low (relative) price and outstanding IQ of the D600.
Not a Canon so you can use your m42s? Tair for sale?
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #63
Veteran Member

There are many of you and there will be many more.
10-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Not a Canon so you can use your m42s? Tair for sale?
Yeah, I can't use my awesome Takumars or any other M42's. I've begun to sell off some of the Taks but I am keeping a few (and the Tair) for now as I have a Nex 5n that works great with them.

I may still keep my K20D since it is an excellent camera and I would probably miss it if I sold it. Although it will more than likely be collecting dust since I now have a full frame, so not sure yet. The K-x will be on the auction block though. I need to raise some funds for some Nikon glass.

10-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I don't know, but isn't this a 2011 rumor? Pentax is working on a mirrorless full frame and medium format cameras? | Photo Rumors
Good find there. Could be coincidence, yes, but the same person and almost the same entitlement ("a known photographer") and other things. But like someone else posted before me, Pentax is holding tours in places, and for me that's a good move. They're also bringing in their reps from Japan too (not just the country heads holding demo's). We'll be having one of such tours in Manila on the 13th of October, and hopefully we might get to ask the same FF question too =)) or uh, whatever Pentax is planning for the near future

Hopefully they bring the peep booth SAFOX X testing tent too!
10-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
This was leading up to Sony investing significantly in Olympus, Sony now has a direct stake in its health. An exclusive fab run was surely part of the mutually-incented deal.
OM-D was in development before the Olympus scandal broke. The Olympus story broke Oct 2011. The OM-D was announced and on display at CP+ in Feb 2012.

The time line of events does not work for your theory.
10-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
What sensor does the K-5 and D7000 use. Same Sony sensor?
Like I said A99 sensor and Pentax body not too far fetched.
Add in K-5 II -3EV SAFOX= win.
Sony can make far more APS-C sensors than they can 135FF. Even if they advance the technology to make more FF sensors, they will still be able to make more APS-C sensors than FF.

10-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
OM-D was in development before the Olympus scandal broke. The Olympus story broke Oct 2011. The OM-D was announced and on display at CP+ in Feb 2012.
These kind of talks take years (and so do corporate scandals being exposed publicly). they likely started while Olympus was looking for a new sensor supplier for the OM-D and Sony saw it as a opportunity to stick it to one of their biggest consumer electronic rivals (Panasonic). Olympus still needed money and a supplier regardless of the public outing of the scandal.

Last edited by illdefined; 10-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.
10-08-2012, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
Add in K-5 II -3EV SAFOX= win.
Yeah, I'd love a -3EV AF system so I could mis-focus in even less light.
10-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I need to raise some funds for some Nikon glass.
As I am sure you are aware, there are plenty of excellent used glass for Nikons and golly gee, a lot of them can autofocus as well
The myth that always circulates around here is that you have to pay a lot to get good FF glass for Nikons...not true at all.
10-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
These kind of talks take years (and so do corporate scandals being exposed publicly). they likely started while Olympus was looking for a new sensor supplier for the OM-D and Sony saw it as a opportunity to stick it to one of their biggest consumer electronic rivals (Panasonic). Olympus still needed money and a supplier regardless of the public outing of the scandal.
You need to read up on the Olympus scandal. By all accounts Fuji had first opportunity to invest in Olympus after the scandal broke. They have a long history of working together in the medical arena. Fuji and Olympus were in talks in the Spring after the show and several people thought it would be done deal. Fuji joined the Micro 4/3 consortium in 2009 and people had expected to see the Fuji EXR adopted by Olympus at that time, but it never happened.

You're conspiracy theory is completely off base. If you have some facts I would love to see them. There is no indication what so ever that Sony knew that Michael Woodford was about to break the story or that any deal was negotiated before the story broke in the U.K.
10-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You're conspiracy theory is completely off base. If you have some facts I would love to see them. There is no indication what so ever that Sony knew that Michael Woodford was about to break the story or that any deal was negotiated before the story broke in the U.K.
And you insist the investment was only a result of the scandal. Do you have proof of that? The decision to go with Sony sensors preceded the scandal as you know, who's to say what talks started when? even Woodford couldn't break through Japanese corporate dealings, how can you be so sure? Olympus likely couldn't pay off its debts to Sony and they had to step in but unless you were there who really knows? my point is, they are and have been tied to each other for a while now - they have a unique relationship, more intimate than just contractor/contractee of the other camera manufacturers.
10-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Hmm, another FF thread. How many more such threads are we gonna have before Pentax really releases a FF dSLR/EVIL camera?
10-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Yeah, me too. I'm getting tired of being patient and having my hopes up for Full Frame Pentax. I'm planning to get a D600 too. Yeah, Pentax have that good K5lls, but I needed a bigger sensor. The good thing in Nikon too is that it can accept Nikon's old lenses too just like Pentax.
10-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #75

If it took five years to make the 645 DSLR, the mergers and implementing new corporate philosophies probably had a lot to do with it. But it is a medium format camera, so I'm sure that was a factor too.

Full Frame is inevitable, there is no getting around that. If Pentax/Ricoh can show more cooperation with independent glass makers like Tamron and Tokina, then the FF can really take off once it gets here.