Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #1126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
especially if the sensor uses more current up-to date technology with full 16 bit RAW and High DR
But, as a studio photographer, with controlled lighting, you won't get any benefit from wide DR and 16-bit raw.

A replacement sensor for the 645D would probably be CMOS and have a much higher QE (due to a better fill factor). At that time, 16-bit raw may become desirable, but I don't think 16-bit raw in any current MF back is warranted at the moment because the noise floor is above the LSB.

I'd like to see an intelligent lossy raw format (like Nikon uses) for these large MF camera files. (Realy should be an option for all high MP cameras.) It's a waste of disk space to linearly encode high level signals when the shot noise is greater than the quantisation step size. See the "aside on lossy NEF compression" section on this page: Noise, Dynamic Range and Bit Depth in Digital SLRs -- page 3

Dan.

01-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #1127
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Pentax is about to get squeezed out even more if it does not produce a $2,000 full frame that can compete. Sony has been trying for several years to break through in this market.
Why can't it be a high performing and feature rich FF with WR and SR priced at $2,500-$2,700? Sony has been trying with FF products that have unfavourable UIs for photographers and clunky body designs. These things matter, and I think Pentax, being a company for photographers, not just an electronics company like Sony, can do very well in this way.
01-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #1128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
But, as a studio photographer, with controlled lighting, you won't get any benefit from wide DR and 16-bit raw.

A replacement sensor for the 645D would probably be CMOS and have a much higher QE (due to a better fill factor). At that time, 16-bit raw may become desirable, but I don't think 16-bit raw in any current MF back is warranted at the moment because the noise floor is above the LSB.

I'd like to see an intelligent lossy raw format (like Nikon uses) for these large MF camera files. (Realy should be an option for all high MP cameras.) It's a waste of disk space to linearly encode high level signals when the shot noise is greater than the quantisation step size. See the "aside on lossy NEF compression" section on this page: Noise, Dynamic Range and Bit Depth in Digital SLRs -- page 3

Dan.
Good point, however my work isn't solely studio based - many of my portraiture assignments are on-location and that is where extended DR and and extended ISO range would be most welcome. On the subject of on location shoots I would like to see future lenses for the 645D with a return to the use of leaf shutters - I use a 75mm f/2.8 LS for a majority of my on-location work being able to synch with flash at 1/500th is rather liberating, though competing hasselblad Leaf shutter lenses for the H series cameras can synch faster than that 1/800th - and Schneider leaf shutter lenses can achieve 1/1650th - If pentax could produce a 150mm f/2 APO SR lens with a Leaf shutter what synchs at 1/1000th - i'm sold. Most studio flash heads have output that spans about 8 stops - even a K10D can handle that range,but there is the issue of how clean the shadows* are and tonal gradations (extremely important for skin tones) that have to be taken into consideration - not that I really have any complaints about the current 645D's rendering of skin tones.

*even at low ISO settings some cameras do produce amounts of chrominance noise in the deep shadows that will show up at larger print sizes.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-03-2013 at 08:46 PM.
01-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #1129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Why can't it be a high performing and feature rich FF with WR and SR priced at $2,500-$2,700? Sony has been trying with FF products that have unfavourable UIs for photographers and clunky body designs. These things matter, and I think Pentax, being a company for photographers, not just an electronics company like Sony, can do very well in this way.
I would love for that to be the case. I would love to see Pentax release a 36MP FF w/o AA filter in an up scaled K-5 body (2 card slots) and the A900 view finder. The only thing that I would worry about is the AF. If Pentax can nail the AF performance then they have a strong market competitor. A new flash system would help, but I wont be picky.

01-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #1130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would love for that to be the case. I would love to see Pentax release a 36MP FF w/o AA filter in an up scaled K-5 body (2 card slots) and the A900 view finder. The only thing that I would worry about is the AF. If Pentax can nail the AF performance then they have a strong market competitor. A new flash system would help, but I wont be picky.
If i am paying the equivalent of two months rent for something, I am going to be picky

11 BIG AF points is OK (I guess) for something that costs as much as a K-5...but it would be unacceptable for something that costs twice as much.
As for the flash system, I am a flash Neophyte so I can't speak intelligently enough to complain about the Pentax system. But I do read a lot of complaints about it, and it is something that should be addressed with something that expensive.
01-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #1131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If pros start using MILC they will most likely keep their DSLR gear. But they might find that MILC gives enough unique advantages over DSLR that they want to use dual systems.

In the longer run, some pros might start using MILC gear from the start, and never find any reason for using DSLR.
Pros are using mirrorless systems so they can leave their pro gear behind, even they shoot for their themselves at times and a D3 or D4 is not a fun camera to take for a hike or when travelling with the family.
01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #1132

Even just slight improvements over the K5IIs will be nice. 20-24 MP, Improve AF, Improve High ISO performance.

And please add a second memory card slot.

And don't price it at $3500 lol.

Do this and I'd be very happy.

01-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #1133

That would be REALLY great.

I want to K5 iis but as of yet, I don't have enough of a NEED for a 4th body. Someday, either they will come out with a FF and I'll be all over that, or I'll get a iis.

A girl can dream.
01-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #1134

Good news for Pentax users, and other users as well!
Because other brand will do better to be more competitive.
01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #1135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
If i am paying the equivalent of two months rent for something, I am going to be picky

11 BIG AF points is OK (I guess) for something that costs as much as a K-5...but it would be unacceptable for something that costs twice as much.
As for the flash system, I am a flash Neophyte so I can't speak intelligently enough to complain about the Pentax system. But I do read a lot of complaints about it, and it is something that should be addressed with something that expensive.
With the next generation of sensors having PDAF built in, MILC are going to be just as fast as the current DSLRs and will have better accuracy and wont require AF micro-adjustment. Hopefully Pentax knows that the next AF system had better be significantly better if it has any chance to compete.

I think 21 smaller points in a minimum and Pentax probably needs 51 small points with a better pattern/spread. The OVF had better be big, bright, & beautiful.
01-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #1136
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by synergylizz Quote
That would be REALLY great.

I want to K5 iis but as of yet, I don't have enough of a NEED for a 4th body. Someday, either they will come out with a FF and I'll be all over that, or I'll get a iis.

A girl can dream.
Just interested from a woman's point of view what about a FF camera attracts you to it. Naturally it would have to be heavier and larger than an APS-C camera, even if slightly. Does this bother you to lug around extra weight? What would you be using it for mainly?
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #1137

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Why can't it be a high performing and feature rich FF with WR and SR priced at $2,500-$2,700? Sony has been trying with FF products that have unfavourable .
I guess the problem is that Pentax uses Sony's sensors. including FF ( I believe)
So it seems there are some issues about using these technlogies by third-party partners
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #1138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rubeushagrid Quote
Even just slight improvements over the K5IIs will be nice. 20-24 MP, Improve AF, Improve High ISO performance.

And please add a second memory card slot.

And don't price it at $3500 lol.

Do this and I'd be very happy.
QuoteOriginally posted by rubeushagrid Quote
And what about LOW ISO performance? How about a camera that can get down to 25 ISO (less need for ND filters on those landscape shots). And the addition of the second car slot, even on an auxiliary battery attachment, would be VERY nice!

And to do something different, like the Japanese management has said, pull from the 645 lenses and give us two or three leaf shutter lenses (C/U, portrait (70 or 77mm) and moderate telephoto (100mm?). Now THAT would be something different!

Regards,

DA
01-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #1139

I feel Pentax should be competing in the $2.200 range, not with the 5dm/d800, simply because at $3000 most people will seriously question Pentax as a brand rather than the actual camera. I want to see a nice 100% pentaprism and dual sd card slots, with a better processing engine and slightly bigger battery, 6fps shooting, and a body designed like the k-5 and as small as possible. Also the control layout should be similar to the K-5, as this is one of the strengths of it. SR and WR should feature, as well as 50ISO-51kISO and noise performance that competes with some of the higher up ffs. I would probably be willing to pay $2500 for all of this, but as long as there is a k-5 like body, dual sd slots, good vf, and 6fps, I would buy it any day. A low mp count is my main priority. I would prefer around 20MP but no more than 24, otherwise noise performance would suffer and the price would go up

About the lenses, Pentax has loads of M, F, FA, A, and FA limited lenses as well as other third-party ff lenses available. Sure, they should release two or three lenses with it, two "pro" ~$1500 zooms and a "consumer" $750 lens, or a kit lens like a 24-75 f2.8. I think that if people are willing to commit to pentax ff they can live with old fa lenses for a year until pentax gets around to producing a range of about six or seven ff lenses
01-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #1140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
I feel Pentax should be competing in the $2.200 range, not with the 5dm/d800, simply because at $3000 most people will seriously question Pentax as a brand rather than the actual camera. I want to see a nice 100% pentaprism and dual sd card slots, with a better processing engine and slightly bigger battery, 6fps shooting, and a body designed like the k-5 and as small as possible. Also the control layout should be similar to the K-5, as this is one of the strengths of it. SR and WR should feature, as well as 50ISO-51kISO and noise performance that competes with some of the higher up ffs. I would probably be willing to pay $2500 for all of this, but as long as there is a k-5 like body, dual sd slots, good vf, and 6fps, I would buy it any day. A low mp count is my main priority. I would prefer around 20MP but no more than 24, otherwise noise performance would suffer and the price would go up

About the lenses, Pentax has loads of M, F, FA, A, and FA limited lenses as well as other third-party ff lenses available. Sure, they should release two or three lenses with it, two "pro" ~$1500 zooms and a "consumer" $750 lens, or a kit lens like a 24-75 f2.8. I think that if people are willing to commit to pentax ff they can live with old fa lenses for a year until pentax gets around to producing a range of about six or seven ff lenses
They have 9 or 10 (depending on if you count the 60-250) full frame lenses now.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/183420-current...me-lenses.html