Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #1276
Forum Member

just curious do we have a good comparison between D800 and IIs' focusing performance somewhere yet?

02-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #1277
Pentaxian

I don't know too much about D800 or D600, but will the new Pentax FF have focus peaking, at least in its Live View mode???

I have a Nex camera (along with my K5), and when you adjust the focus, one sees this CLOUD of shimmering yellow, red or white sparkles moving farther away or closer. Its very DOF informative to the operator. I suppose the answer is that the FF OVF is so superior that focus peaking is unnecessary. But i wonder if that premise is really true.

The focus peaking color that is chosen, quickly informs the operator of where the focus field is. I'm not sure that an optical field would be as quickly read. If one hasn't experienced focus peaking with the K01 or a Nex, it may be difficult to imagine the advantage of this feature.
02-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #1278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't know too much about D800 or D600, but will the new Pentax FF have focus peaking, at least in its Live View mode???

I have a Nex camera (along with my K5), and when you adjust the focus, one sees this CLOUD of shimmering yellow, red or white sparkles moving farther away or closer. Its very DOF informative to the operator. I suppose the answer is that the FF OVF is so superior that focus peaking is unnecessary. But i wonder if that premise is really true.

The focus peaking color that is chosen, quickly informs the operator of where the focus field is. I'm not sure that an optical field would be as quickly read. If one hasn't experienced focus peaking with the K01 or a Nex, it may be difficult to imagine the advantage of this feature.
Yeah, although it is better than nothing, I'd don't really like the white on the Pentax FP -- it is much nicer on the NEX with the red and yellow -- you can really see the outlines. With the white I can't always tell what is real and what is focus peaking. Ideally, you'd be able to choose the colors and switch them as needed for different subjects. I would be surprised if focus peaking is not included with all models going forward...
02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #1279
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh stock is telling a story .....

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
....... snip ......
But what's sad...

Even if Pentax would never have plans for a fullframe -why not come out and admit it. Or better yet give the PK license to someone for fullframe and watch where it goes
Marketing, engineering, legal - all these departments kneel in supplication to the Finance Guys. Finance Guys forced the sale to Hoya. Finance Guys at Hoya allowed just enough investment to keep the company saleable, but not enough to stay competitive. Finance Guys forced the marketing strategy of a Marc Newson (really cheap, supposedly viral marketing) onto what could have been a technology breakthrough - and set Pentax apart. We should all hope Ricoh's Finance Guys are different than Hoya's.

FWIW, the investment community is pretty excited about Ricoh, post-restructuring, and especially about the DigiCam division and the strategy to double market share and revenue twice in the next 5-7 years. The stock price has doubled since August.

02-03-2013, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #1280
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
NO, the FF OVF is not that superior. I use a NEX camera, next to my Pentax K5, Canon 5DmkII and new Fuji. I prefer the EVF of the NEX vastly, over the OVF of the Full Frame 5DmkII.
02-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #1281
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
NO, the FF OVF is not that superior. I use a NEX camera, next to my Pentax K5, Canon 5DmkII and new Fuji. I prefer the EVF of the NEX vastly, over the OVF of the Full Frame 5DmkII.
The key to your statement is you prefer the EVF it does not mean it is superior there are many many people that still prefer optical over any EVF on the market right now.
02-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #1282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
The key to your statement is you prefer the EVF it does not mean it is superior
Technicality, I prefer it because it is superior, of course. Why else?

there are many many people that still prefer optical over any EVF on the market right now.
True, there are many people that prefer OVF. There are also any people who still prefer film.
02-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #1283
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Technicality, I prefer it because it is superior, of course. Why else?
You can't just decide that your preferences are superior to ours.

02-03-2013, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #1284
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You can't just decide that your preferences are superior to ours.
Sure he can. Then again, so can you - and you do it every day with your purchase decisions. Clavius has made his purchase decisions quite clear on these Forums, and I enjoy reading his opinions.

The fact that he hasn't any use for subjunctive conditional is completely irrelevant.
02-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #1285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

FWIW, the investment community is pretty excited about Ricoh, post-restructuring, and especially about the DigiCam division and the strategy to double market share and revenue twice in the next 5-7 years. The stock price has doubled since August.

Now, after all these years of waiting, and money saving, instead of FF cameras, smarter move would be buying Ricoh shares.
02-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #1286
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Now, after all these years of waiting, and money saving, instead of FF cameras, smarter move would be buying Ricoh shares.
It certainly would have been last July!
02-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #1287
Pentaxian

Sure he can. Then again, so can you - and you do it every day with your purchase decisions. Clavius has made his purchase decisions quite clear on these Forums, and I enjoy reading his opinions.

The fact that he hasn't any use for subjunctive conditional is completely irrelevant.
Haha... Exactly. And don't get me wrong. I'm probably going to be one of the first ones to press the pre-order button. No matter DSLR FF Pentax or mirrorless FF Pentax. I don't let my dreams about the ideal equipment get in the way of my Gear Buying Addiction.

Maybe Pentax will do the DSLR FF K-mount, and Ricoh the mirrorless FF K-mount? After all, they did say they have multiple prototypes.
02-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #1288
Pentaxian

The key to your statement is you prefer the EVF it does not mean it is superior there are many many people that still prefer optical over any EVF on the market right now.

Some people cannot help but raise confirmation bias to an art form over technological differences, you know people are still arguing over Transistors Vs Vacuum tubes.
02-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #1289
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you know people are still arguing over Transistors Vs Vacuum tubes.
But the hipsters can't tell the difference 'cause they're listening to cassettes now
02-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #1290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Some people cannot help but raise confirmation bias to an art form over technological differences, you know people are still arguing over Transistors Vs Vacuum tubes.
Not to mention analogue versus digital (even here). Thankfully, the VHS vs Beta argument is largely academic now, although that one at least was capable of objective conclusion. The rest is, in my view, highly subjective. Science can point out the technical differences, but a judgment on overall superiority is in the realm of personal preferences.