Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
What indication do you have that Pentax can't buy FF sensors from Sony? They manage to sell their 16mp APS-C sensor for multiple models of Nikon and Pentax cameras plus they put them their own bodies. That 16mp sensor probably won't be in production for much longer which will open up production resources. If Sony has a customer waiting to give them money, I'm sure they'll find a way to sell them their wares. It doesn't make sense for Sony to turn away profitable business. There might be a delay of some sort but I seriously doubt that would be a real reason for Pentax to have to source sensors from someone other than Sony. The D800 isn't going to maintain the kind of volume sales that it has, they will surely tapper off and settle down soon if they haven't already.
Pentax will always be third in line for sensors from Sony and there will always be more APS-C sensors than 135FF.

10-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'll bet they learned quite a lot of useful information engineering the K-01. They redeveloped IBIS engineering, for instance. So Hoya marketing made an unpopular decision, BFD. Everyone here who breaks down and actually BUYS a K-01 seems to like the camera. Same goes for the Q.
Oh I'm sure they learned some things, not all of them technical. i'm not saying they are bad cameras, Pentax doesnt really make bad cameras, they just weren't what the market wanted or asked for. customers shouldn't have to "break down" and buy new cameras at deep discounts, it means the company is doing something wrong.
10-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #48

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony A99 Full frame sensor in Pentax body with dual PRIME processors, you can call it a K-3 if you like. Thanks.
10-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax will always be third in line for sensors from Sony and there will always be more APS-C sensors than 135FF.
Being last in line is different, and better, than not being in line at all.

10-08-2012, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
Sony A99 Full frame sensor in Pentax body with dual PRIME processors, you can call it a K-3 if you like. Thanks.
Yeah, no, that would make too much sense now wouldn't it?

Pentax can still do this and avoid being called "late" or "me too" if its small, fully weathersealed, and built like a tank (as we'd all expect) and announced early to mid next year. fingers crossed.
10-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not when there's not enough for those in line ahead of you.
10-08-2012, 07:34 PM - 2 Likes   #52

Seems everyone on the planet already has FF. IMHO, it seems that historically, Pentax is usually the last horse out of the barn. But once it does leave the barn the quality is generally much higher than any of it's competitors.

10-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
If they made a K-Mount version, I would already be ordering it.
10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leonsroar Quote
Pentax Japan is currently conducting touch & try tour in Osaka (last week), Tokyo (6th/7th), and Nagoya (next week).
At Tokyo session on 7th, Mr. Mikio Tanaka, a professional photographer mentioned that Pentax is currently developing FF.
In addition, after the seminar with Mr. Tanaka, several pentaxian over there have confirmed with Pentax reps that what Mr. Tanaka talked about is nothing inappropriate and/or confidential.
Per those reps, they also have just been notified from top management about that right before the seminar in Tokyo (morning on 6th).
The other pentaxian at the seminar with his D800E was regretfully told by a rep that he could wait for a more while.

Additional note, those pentaxians were surprised at II's AF in dark.
Some with D800 is saying it is better than D800 while the other also with D800 is saying D800 is still better than that.

As no mention about ETA at this time, I will be getting K-5IIs anyway then would add the FF if it turned out true...
Hope to have financial struggles.
I don't know, but isn't this a 2011 rumor?
Pentax is working on a mirrorless full frame and medium format cameras? | Photo Rumors

"Mikio Tanaka (well known photographer in Japan) posted on his blog that a Japanese magazine recently interviewed Mr. Kitazawa (head of Pentax camera R&D department) who claimed that Pentax is working on a mirrorless 35mm full frame camera and is even considering a mirrorless medium format camera with the sensor used in the 645D. The magazine will be published on December 19th."
10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I don't know, but isn't this a 2011 rumor?
Pentax is working on a mirrorless full frame and medium format cameras? | Photo Rumors

"Mikio Tanaka (well known photographer in Japan) posted on his blog that a Japanese magazine recently interviewed Mr. Kitazawa (head of Pentax camera R&D department) who claimed that Pentax is working on a mirrorless 35mm full frame camera and is even considering a mirrorless medium format camera with the sensor used in the 645D. The magazine will be published on December 19th."
Maybe? Depends on the source of the OPs information. It is true, however, that Pentax is holding a tour to let people play with the K-5 II/IIs on the weekends for the next few weeks.

Sounds a bit weird for an old rumour to pop up with a current event?
10-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No one will buy a FF camera for $3000.00 and another 5 or 6 thousand for a couple of lenses. So I don't believe that Pentax is even considering a FF camera. We been hearing this crap for years and the prices are getting to high for the economy nowdays.
10-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
No one will buy a FF camera for $3000.00 and another 5 or 6 thousand for a couple of lenses. So I don't believe that Pentax is even considering a FF camera. We been hearing this crap for years and the prices are getting to high for the economy nowdays.
Nobody's established those prices for Pentax FF, they're completely imaginary (like the camera itself), why believe them?

Do you know how many cheap AF FF K-mount lenses are available online as we speak? I have a whole set, less than $1000..
10-08-2012, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

But there is no real evidence that Pentax is in fact "last in line". It seems to be one of those things that if enough people repeat it, it must be true.

Olympus is using a Sony sensor that would scale to a 27MP APS-C.... I don't see anyone else using that technology. The 24MP sensor landed while Pentax was in mid-cycle and had no new body to put it in. Waiting actually allowed Pentax to see how the market reacted to a sensor with that density.

Sony is whore when it comes to selling sensors or even EVF technology (Fuji X-E1 a direct competitor). Sony may charge a premium for the latest and greatest sensor, and Pentax may chose to wait for prices to fall before buying a new sensor, but I have seen no evidence that Sony refuses to sell to anyone.

Maybe someone can provide evidence?
10-08-2012, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #59

What sensor does the K-5 and D7000 use. Same Sony sensor?
Like I said A99 sensor and Pentax body not too far fetched.
Add in K-5 II -3EV SAFOX= win.
10-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Olympus is using a Sony sensor that would scale to a 27MP APS-C.... I don't see anyone else using that technology.
This was leading up to Sony investing significantly in Olympus, Sony now has a direct stake in its health. An exclusive fab run was surely part of the mutually-incented deal.