Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #286
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, it is not ogl. Or a vast majority of enthusiast and professional photographers wouldn't be shooting with FF cameras.

10-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
FF is marketing trick
APSC is.... they talk us to the small viewfinder, shollow almost compact DOF, and smaller size that can be usefull during the sunday walk... everything i remember from using Zenit E, TTL just vanished its not there.....
10-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
No, it is not ogl. Or a vast majority of enthusiast and professional photographers wouldn't be shooting with FF cameras.

Actually the vast majority of the above are shooting with APS cameras....
10-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
APSC is.... they talk us to the small viewfinder, shollow almost compact DOF, and smaller size that can be usefull during the sunday walk... everything i remember from using Zenit E, TTL just vanished its not there.....
THe DOF difference is one stop. You can phrase it in another way; FF give one stop slower shutterspeed (sometimes ensuring blurred images) at the same DOF as APS...

10-23-2012, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #290
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Actually the vast majority of the above are shooting with APS cameras....
Really, can you provide data that shows that?
Most of the wedding photogs I know use full frame. I've never seen an APS on the sideline of a major sporting event.
10-23-2012, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #291

While a lot of pros might be using FF the vast majority of enthusiasts use APSC or smaller, otherwise FF would have a much greater market share than it does. The pros can be assumed to know what they need but it is the enthusiast who might be persuaded by clever marketing to buy a camera that they don't really need. FF is aspirational to enthusiasts the way Leicas used to be in film days. You become worried that the shortcomings in your photography might be due to your equipment, completely missing the fact that almost all of the great photographs ever made were made on equipment greatly inferior to any DSLR currently on sale. So while the differences between APSC and FF are real, for most enthusiasts what matters most is calming their insecurities.
10-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
THe DOF difference is one stop. You can phrase it in another way; FF give one stop slower shutterspeed (sometimes ensuring blurred images) at the same DOF as APS...
You forgot to mention that, under the conditions you describe (same ISO for the two types), FF would give twice as good of SNR.

10-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #293
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey look a photo!

Good one guys. You've gone and scared all the girls away with such a silly thread.

Go and Take Photos!
Attached Images

Last edited by tromboads; 10-23-2012 at 05:34 PM.
10-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #294
ogl
Banned

The future is forgotten past
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/203028-popul...ff-camera.html
10-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
So while the differences between APSC and FF are real, for most enthusiasts what matters most is calming their insecurities.
True. And well, so do a lot of clients (by that I mean not just companies, even couples looking for wedding 'togs! At least in my area) lately (asking if one uses an FF camera, if not, chances of getting accepted are lower). Even they got carried away by FF marketing.
10-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Really, can you provide data that shows that?
Most of the wedding photogs I know use full frame. I've never seen an APS on the sideline of a major sporting event.
Pal apparently only likes to make statements not responses.

Last edited by illdefined; 10-24-2012 at 07:17 PM.
10-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
True. And well, so do a lot of clients (by that I mean not just companies, even couples looking for wedding 'togs! At least in my area) lately (asking if one uses an FF camera, if not, chances of getting accepted are lower). Even they got carried away by FF marketing.
I recently attended a wedding last weekend here in Southern California, and this camera crew of 8 had 2 REDs, 2 645ds, 3 D800s, and the big boss was walking around with Leica MM.

The cost of shooting the event was 25K.

I was impressed.
10-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I recently attended a wedding last weekend here in Southern California, and this camera crew of 8 had 2 REDs, 2 645ds, 3 D800s, and the big boss was walking around with Leica MM. The cost of shooting the event was 25K.
Wow, that's a little overkill I think. Impressive, I agree. TWO 645D's even...
10-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I recently attended a wedding last weekend here in Southern California, and this camera crew of 8 had 2 REDs, 2 645ds, 3 D800s, and the big boss was walking around with Leica MM.

The cost of shooting the event was 25K.

I was impressed.
You've got to be impressed by the hardware, but you have to wonder about the cranial software involved. What are they going to do with the images, when they break up in four years?
10-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #300
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Hey look a photo!

Good one guys. You've gone and scared all the girls away with such a silly thread.

Go and Take Photos!
Yes, but the DoF is not shallow enough and it's not a FF shot.
We know APS-C will always outsell FF in absolute sales but that isn't the only aspect determining viability for a photographic manufacturer. It's also a lifestyle option, or the FF cameras nowadays wouldn't be as successful as they are. We don't have to look too far from what Pentax is offering in the smaller dMF niche market and how that's faring for the company financially.