Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2012, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #361
Site Supporter

My post from a longggggggggg time ago may be of use for comparing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/61827-comparison-3...lots-pics.html

11-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Vignetting - yes. Crappy around the outside - I've yet to see a FF lens that has worse LP/PH values in FF than in APS-C, when comparing reasonable FF and APS-C cameras.
Well search no further!

Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 USM L (full format) - Review / Test Report - Analysis
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 USM L - Review / Test Report - Analysis

And note this is a comparison between a 21mp FF and a puny 8mp APS-C, and the APS-C still wins at large apertures in the absolute (as opposed to relative/scaled) border lw/ph figures that you seem so concerned about. If this comparison were done with one of Canon's 18mp APS-C sensors, I have no doubt the APS-C border would crush the FF at any aperture.
11-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #363
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Well search no further!

And note this is a comparison between a 21mp FF and a puny 8mp APS-C, and the APS-C still wins at large apertures in the absolute (as opposed to relative/scaled) border lw/ph figures that you seem so concerned about. If this comparison were done with one of Canon's 18mp APS-C sensors, I have no doubt the APS-C border would crush the FF at any aperture.
You are correct, at less than F/2 on that lens, the APS-C wins at border performance.

Personally I wouldn't have even looked at that comparison to begin with because I would (basically) never use that setting. Perhaps a night landscape with nothing in the foreground?

Thanks, though.
11-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #364
Banned

Photos: Albums
at less than F/2 on that lens, the APS-C wins at border performance
This is a swell example of what a lens is capable of; even when exceeding F 1.0

Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux-M Aspherical Manual Focus Lens 11-602

11-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #365
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Well search no further!

You are correct, at less than F/2 on that lens, the APS-C wins at border performance.

Personally I wouldn't have even looked at that comparison to begin with because I would (basically) never use that setting. Perhaps a night landscape with nothing in the foreground?

Thanks, though.
This test is actually one more reason not to go FF, but to stop at aps-H!
11-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #366

Hopefully, FF will be released next year with body SR function
11-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #367

And all the SDM lenses will be replaced with new DC

11-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #368
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eryson Quote
And all the SDM lenses will be replaced with new DC
You do know that SDM has officially been fixed don't you? Actually it's been for quite a while, I bought my DA*60-250 quite a while ago and I know of no SDM issues with that lens. Pentax has said the 16-50 has been redesigned.
11-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #369
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
This is a swell example of what a lens is capable of; even when exceeding F 1.0

Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux-M Aspherical Manual Focus Lens 11-602
You're right, I have seen some awesome f/0.95 pics. I don't know that I would care about border performance in any of them, though.

Sorry for forgetting to mention that caveat - I was trying to figure out a picture where I would care about border performance but would still want a very low aperture. Seems like a rather rare picture.
11-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You do know that SDM has officially been fixed don't you? Actually it's been for quite a while, I bought my DA*60-250 quite a while ago and I know of no SDM issues with that lens. Pentax has said the 16-50 has been redesigned.
Can you link to an official statement from Pentax regarding the SDM issues?
11-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #372
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markac Quote
Foster's has never really been all that popular here In Australia, at least since the Barry McKenzie days. Much better beers to be had like Cooper's for instance
I always preferred XXXX over Foster's. Haven't had either one in years. Was disappointed to go to an Outback steakhouse this past weekend and find out they didn't have a single Australian-made beer (used to buy Sheaf Stout to pair with steak).
11-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I bought my DA*60-250 quite a while ago and I know of no SDM issues with that lens.
Same here with mine. (but I hate to "schlepp" it around.)

Greetings
11-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #374

I assume this means that they need to get several new lenses out there at the same time being that all of the DA and DA* lenses will not work on a full frame camera. They still have several older lenses that they could reproduce, but if they are going to start selling full frame, they are going to have to make some new FF lenses to go with it.
11-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #375
Veteran Member

Thanks, though.
I'll state this again, this was a comparison showing a 7.5 year old 8 mp APS-C vs a 21 mp FF. Even though the APS-C test is already severely handicapped with 1.62x less linear resolution, it still manages to show some higher absolute resolution figures.

Repeat the test with any modern 16/18/24 mp APS-C sensor, and the APS-C border will have higher absolute resolution at any aperture, not just <f/2.0.

Last edited by Cannikin; 11-01-2012 at 09:23 PM.