Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #706
Pentaxian

No Pentax Limited, pancake or not, has internal focus. I'm afraid IF lenses would be larger... However, non-IF lenses can be weather resistant as well; see the D FA 100mm macro WR.
Maybe they should indeed re-try the K-01 concept, in another shape, with (optional) EVF and weather sealed. I'm staying with SLRs, though...

12-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #707
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For all the FF naysayers who believe that a FF Pentax DSLR would be too niche of a product, you need to consider the axiom that a company's best customers are its current customers. Niche or not, the Pentax community has been awaiting a FF DSLR for an extremely long time. Without a FF DSLR Pentax already has and will continue to lose both potential sales to those Pentax users who can afford and are willing to run dual systems, but possibly more importantly they lose once loyal customers who can't afford or don't wish to run with dual systems. Niche doesn't mean not profitable.

There are so many ways that releasing a FF DSLR could benefit Pentax and it's base, and the benefits wouldn't be insignificant, that the risk associated with the development, production, marketing, and support of one seem small in comparison.
12-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #708
Pentaxian

If you're referring to my post, I was talking about a FF GXR M-mount module, and not a FF Pentax DSLR. I'm not against a "classical" solution, i.e. a DSLR; but going for the smallest niche they could find (GXR for Leica), or reusing a failed approach (K-01) would not make things easier.

By the way, on kakaku.com the first GXR module is on #105, the A16 kit. It's APS-C, so we can directly compare it with the K-30 kit on #18... sorry, but the GXR is a niche and making it more expensive won't change that.
The 645D is on #149, FTR.
http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-16-2012 at 11:35 AM.
12-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #709
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If you're referring to my post
No, I'm speaking generally to those who don't think a FF is in Pentax's cards and that even if it were it wouldn't be a wise hand to play. Though I do feel that anything other than a DSLR in FF would be off the mark.

12-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #710

Photos: Gallery
Everything is possible based on market considerations; where are the big money (APS versus FF)?
In 2002 or so, when I purchased my MZs, Pentax announced a digital FF to be on the market soon. The camera was supposed to be similar to the MZs; but then, officially stated that such a camera would have been too expensive and for this reason the project was stopped, Pentax said.
Now, what is the result of Pentax-Ricoh’s market survey for 2013?
12-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #711
Pentaxian

My apologies, then; I was thinking maybe I wasn't clear.
12-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #712
Veteran Member

My apologies, then; I was thinking maybe I wasn't clear.
No worries. BTW, I'm with ya on "one does not simply change one's mount".

12-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #713
Pentaxian

And with that, it appears there was an error in my sig - changed to include your fix, thanks

Leo-48: Pentax Ricoh intends to grow their market, AFAIK doubling it by the end of 2013. It will be interesting to watch (and dangerous for our wallets!).
12-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #714

Photos: Gallery
OK Kunzite; we'll be ready... :-)
12-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #715
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
The Nikon D600 is under a cloud right now similar to the K-5 when introduced.
The D800 is also experiencing some QC issues. Nikon appears to be making a desperate attempt to wrest the number one spot from Canon, and they're pursuing aggressive pricing policies and cutting corners on QC to attain this end. I doubt this strategy is going to work in the long end (although Canon is having it's own QC issues as well, though they don't seem to be as bad as Nikon's). In any case, if Nikon has to cut corners on QC and pursue aggressive pricing policies to push the D600 below $2,000, it should be clear that APS-C still enjoys a significant price advantage over FF.

By the way, I'm not sure m4/3 being small is the primarily reason it sells so well; I'd rather say it's the dirt cheap price. The market is flooded with myriads of MILCs, I can still buy NIB ones which are sold for a penny and are some 5 generations old. While consumers are happy with the low prices, is the producing company actually making a profit on that? How well are Olympus and Sony doing?
The camera divisions at both Olympus and Sony lost money this year, despite the success of the Olympus OM-D and Sony Nex Series of cameras. It should also be noted that all those cheap m4/3rd cameras can't really be compared to even entry level DSLRs, as they don't have viewfinders and they produce significantly noisier raw files. The MILC's comparable to DSLR's are those with viewfinders, and these cameras often are more expensive than comparable DSLRs. In effect, consumers are paying a premium for the smaller size. So it's not actually clear that MILC's constitute as big a threat to APS-C DSLRs are they are sometimes made out to be.
12-16-2012, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #716
Forum Member

My guess is that Pentax literally did not have the money to make a full-frame camera at this time, and/or they don't have the ability to turn one out quickly. Maybe we'll see one in 2013, perhaps, or not. I think the reason you have a Pentax k-5 II and K-5 IIs is a calculated strategic move to maximize savings while offering something somewhat new in order to generate more revenue.The more the new versions of the K-5 sell, the more funds they will have to proceed with a full-frame camera design.
12-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #717
Black-Wind

I agree bigrex, I think good news is coming!
12-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #718
Veteran Member

is it possible that the ff having the size of k5? That would be interesting.
12-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #719
Veteran Member

No Pentax Limited, pancake or not, has internal focus. I'm afraid IF lenses would be larger... Howeveon-IF lenses can be weather resistant as well; see the D FA 100mm macro WR.
Maybe they should indeed re-try the K-01 concept, in another shape, with (optional) EVF and weather sealed. I'm staying with SLRs, though...
You are right. Isn't it wasteful to have a brick of a mirror less that can't have new lens design taking up the space of the missing mirror and away from the natural elements.
12-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #720
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
is it possible that the ff having the size of k5? That would be interesting.
It has to be bigger for:
* sensor
* prism

But if Nikon can do a D600, Pentax can do smaller
Not sure sensor SR would be in the party though.