Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
The Tokina 80-200/2.8 is quite fantastic and usually in the $600-$700 range. Just food for thought
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What about the Tamron or Sigma lenses that are 70-200 f2.8?

I would pretty much guarantee that if Pentax has a 70-200 f2.8 lens for full frame that it will be 1500 to 2000 dollars new.
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Probably more like $2000 to $2500.
Thanks guys, I actually have the Tamron, so I'm all set for now. I'm hopeful that a fast zoom would be priced similarly to the Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L, which would be the most comparable lens as it does not have IS, is absolutely brilliant, and is available new for $1300. Add weather sealing and I believe Pentax could realistically ask $1500-1700 for theirs. That brings it back full circle and to the topic at hand though... While I enjoy my third-party lenses, I am excited to take advantage of the FF lenses from Pentax that will come available.

02-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Thia is not "official confirmation", just another rumor.
02-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So, they may indeed have a prototype and talk to Tokina.

If true, that's about the state of affairs which I would have hoped for around Photokina 2010. That's all pretty slow considering that Pentax has to reconquer their lost market. Have all their lens designers been on vacation?

Btw, Canon just said that the future for dSLRs will be FF (despite a possible 70D). Something I said for years.

And still looking forward for an official confirmation ...
02-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Third party lens vendor spilling their beans . . . . If I were Pentax management I would be livid to the point of wanting a baseball bat with metal spikes at the tip. So much so that I would blow off all the possible collaboration talks. How lame, and unprofessional.

02-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I think the FF lens is the least of their problems ... lenses are galore out there ... we just need the "efing" body .
I think that should be eff-eff-ing body.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Third party lens vendor spilling their beans . . . . If I were Pentax management I would be livid to the point of wanting a baseball bat with metal spikes at the tip. So much so that I would blow off all the possible collaboration talks. How lame, and unprofessional.
The leak said that Hoya was in talks with Tokina about using their lens designs for a FF camera, and that Ricoh would be willing to talk to Tokina about where they were on that project. This isn't a surprise to any competitor or major investor. Half of the lens reviews about the joint lenses mention the partnership.

But you're on to something. If I were in management, I'd probably arrange for a similarly unnamed Tokina source to talk up the lens designs that they have on the board--designs that wouldn't be marketable unless branded as a first-party lens, etc. This would serve both companies if the project goes forward.
02-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #51
Veteran Member

2600 views, 4 pages in 12 hours, and basically no new information. Seems like a pretty good leak to me.
02-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
2600 views, 4 pages in 12 hours, and basically no new information. Seems like a pretty good leak to me.
Right, kemo sabe! Oh, those nefariously subtle marketing gurus at Pentax - and nary a dime spent.

02-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
The leak said that Hoya was in talks with Tokina about using their lens designs for a FF camera, and that Ricoh would be willing to talk to Tokina about where they were on that project.
Since Tokina only lists 2 ATX-PRO lenses as being FF compatible I'm not sure it matters very much. Pentax has more FF glass than Tokina does..... Which is pretty sad.
02-01-2013, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

All I can think there is 'Uncripple the K-mount on that puppy, proper focusing screen, and we're no kind of short on lenses.'
02-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
Oops. I utterly forgot that here the Pentax Forum is where the world of Pentax revolves around. What a gigantic oversight. My mistake.
02-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I were Pentax I would have allowed them to let this "slip" out.
02-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Any confirmed rumor to feed the needs and desires of their consumers should be good for everyone, you'd think. It improves customer loyalty resulting in increased revenue from repeat purchases; increases brand awareness through exposure so you hear more comments like "Cool, you have a PENTAX, I heard they make quality gear!" rather than "I've never heard of PENTAX", which is often the case now. Mind you, I have had the rare comment of the former but I never recommend the brand unless they're looking for weatherproofing, too many quirks, how sad. =/

I don't understand why they haven't made an official press release a year ago saying FF was in development, here's what else we have in the works. They're trying to be secretive like Apple yet aren't forthcoming in saying "Something big is coming!" unless you pin them down at a trade show and ask them direct and attempt to decipher what it all means. An entry level FF is better than no FF, especially for those looking to build a kit for professional reasons; otherwise happy shopping in the other camps.
02-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Right, kemo sabe! Oh, those nefariously subtle marketing gurus at Pentax - and nary a dime spent.
Oops. I utterly forgot that here the Pentax Forum is where the world of Pentax revolves around. What a gigantic oversight. My mistake.
I didn't say they did it on purpose, just that any press is good press. If this forum isn't the center of the Pentax 'world' then I guess there is no reason for Pentax to be upset then?
02-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #59
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Tokina Confirms Pentax Full-frame Under Development - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

So it's been in the works Obviously Pentax needs to solve the lens problem first...
Rather strange and silly to buy Pentax FF to use Tokina lenses or Tokina lenses under Pentax brand name. It's some kind of globalization.
I'd like to see ORIGINAL Pentax lenses.
Tokina is not bad, but I like only DFA100 macro. The rest lenses are not bad, but not outstanding. It's not Carl Zeiss or Schneider.

Anyway, they just started to negotiate about FF lenses with Tokina. It means that FF camera will be not early than the end of 2013.
02-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #60
Veteran Member

While it would be the best for Pentax to have their own lenses, I don't see this as a big deal. Tokina makes some great stuff though they do have a pretty limited FF product line. Pentax is a niche player and developing a full frame camera and lenses to go along with that all is a lot to handle. Baby steps, and probably a good deal for both companies. Hopefully if it does well, Pentax will start developing some of their own lenses.

Unfortunately, if this rumor is true, it means a Pentax FF is not imminent. At least it's in the pipeline though.