Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I'm not sure it is that simple though it is a part of it.
IMO the K-01 was more an attempt of something different (as is the Q). They knew it couldn't just sell as is but with the added design element (this is relative I know) it could make a package to be sold as a higher price. What I mean is that I don't think the design was the basis of the whole thing but more an afterthought, making the K-01 marketable (or so they thought). I think the idea of a mirrorless camera with the usual K-mount register was developped *before* the design part.

Well, we all know how it went...
FWIW, on their page for Digital Camera Satisfaction Ranking, Kakaku have the K-01 in at 3rd. Second is the K30, beaten only by the D90. Whatever you think of its design, the K-01 is perhaps a camera which is much liked by those who own it and disliked by those who don't (I have one).

02-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I'm not sure it is that simple though it is a part of it.
IMO the K-01 was more an attempt of something different (as is the Q). They knew it couldn't just sell as is but with the added design element (this is relative I know) it could make a package to be sold as a higher price. What I mean is that I don't think the design was the basis of the whole thing but more an afterthought, making the K-01 marketable (or so they thought). I think the idea of a mirrorless camera with the usual K-mount register was developped *before* the design part.

Well, we all know how it went...
Clearly there were two concepts that were going on at the same time -- k mount mirrorless and the "amazing design" concept. I just think after it all came together, for some reason, Hoya decided that they could charge a premium price for a camera that isn't a premium camera.
02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just think after it all came together, for some reason, Hoya decided that they could charge a premium price for a camera that isn't a premium camera.
Well Pentax prices in general were pretty weird at that time. I mean, lens prices were fluctuating (mostly rising), the Q was also very expensive.. But I agree that if the starting price of the K-01 were a little lower it might have been received differently.
Oh, and even though it isn't a premium camera, I would dare say it has a little pixie dust. Its not prefect and has its flaws, but there is something
02-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Clearly there were two concepts that were going on at the same time -- k mount mirrorless and the "amazing design" concept. I just think after it all came together, for some reason, Hoya decided that they could charge a premium price for a camera that isn't a premium camera.
Exactly !

02-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
FWIW, on their page for Digital Camera Satisfaction Ranking, Kakaku have the K-01 in at 3rd. Second is the K30, beaten only by the D90. Whatever you think of its design, the K-01 is perhaps a camera which is much liked by those who own it and disliked by those who don't (I have one).
Completely agree. K-01 concept is definitely a niche but isn't bad either. The price (initially I mean) though...
The proff it isn't stupid is that it sells VERY well now
02-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #126
Pentaxian

Yea, except that I think the initial price was needed to pay for the "amazing design" costs. The price drop occurred when Hoya realized they would have to eat Newson's bill, and decided to at least unload the remaining K-01 stock at a price to cover manufacturing cost. I suspect the development costs looked something like this:

Total: $500,020
Shave off viewfinder: $12.83 - check
Yank out mirror: $6.68 - check
Omit PDAF module: $0.49 - check
Pay Marc: $500,000 - gulp

Pentax have had a terrible time trying to decide what they want to be when they grow up for the past few years. Hopefully this experience tips the balance of power away from the stylish minded and towards the photographer minded influences within the company.