Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Tokina Confirms Pentax Full-frame Under Development - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

So it's been in the works Obviously Pentax needs to solve the lens problem first...
They need to release a few lenses, sure... but I would rather wait a year or two for odds-and-ends than 'settle' for bad lenses (not saying Tokina is bad, but I don't know anything about their non-already-Pentax-branded lenses).

Pentax NEEDS to launch with a 24-75 and should launch with a 70-200 f/2.8, but we can wait for other lenses, methinks.

02-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Adam, you are aware today is 1st February and not 1st April, are you?
I was thinking the same thing.
02-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
Forum Member

i wonder if the old k-mount lenses will work with this ff camera !!!!
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I had an unofficial confirmation that a "modern" prototype exist when I went to the pentax plant. =D

Last edited by vince1987; 02-01-2013 at 12:09 PM.
02-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If they are only starting to think about the lens range, it may still take quite a while before the camera is launched
02-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

There has been a FF prototype for years .... seriously ... YEARS!!!!
02-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
There has been a FF prototype for years .... seriously ... YEARS!!!!
Yeah, and it looks like the MZ-S...

02-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax needs to solve the lens problem first
What lens problem? Simply go on the B&H page, click the lens link, then the slr lens link, then the <existing> 97 PK lens' available, then eventually select full frame from the options along the left hand fields. One will eventually see that there are some 51 existing marketed full frame lens.

Pentax in comination with Tokina could easily bring out over ten more - such as the former FA's. Sigma could also bring in double that number in full frames.

Is there perhaps another lens problem that remains a mystery
02-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I think the FF lens is the least of their problems ... lenses are galore out there ... we just need the "efing" body .
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #25

I wouldn't say that just starting to talk about lenses means the body is that far off. Tokina already has the 16-28 and 17-35 for full frame in current production. The 28-80 and 80-200 haven't been out of production for that long and wouldn't take that long to adapt with SDM. Pentax has their FA* line which also hasn't been out of production for all that long and wouldn't take too long to put an AF drive system in it either. This could all theoretically be ready for official announcement at the end of the year, or at the absolute worst, photokina 2014.
02-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Some months back at Photokina the Pentax rep was expressing some concern over problems with the Pentax Shake Reduction system and full frame sensors, leaving concern that the existing mount maybe a problem. Perhaps, if this Tokina rumour is true, Pentax has been able to overcome the initial challenges that they were experiencing.
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vince1987 Quote
I had an unofficial confirmation that a "modern" prototype exist when I went to the pentax plant. =D
.... so when did you go to the Pentax plant?

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
If they are only starting to think about the lens range, it may still take quite a while before the camera is launched
QuoteOriginally posted by nutkasse Quote
i wonder if the old k-mount lenses will work with this ff camera !!!!
They really can't change the mount, unless they just redo a reasonable set of lenses...

02-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Adam, perhaps it would be helpful that you include a question regarding third party lens manufacturers such as Tokina in interview of Pentax Execs that is coming up. Perhaps Pentax has more information to offer here.
02-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Some months back at Photokina the Pentax rep was expressing some concern over problems with the Pentax Shake Reduction system and full frame sensors, leaving concern that the existing mount maybe a problem. Perhaps, if this Tokina rumour is true, Pentax has been able to overcome the initial challenges that they were experiencing.
I was actually curious about this factor, too, as it has been the only (publicly discussed) technical hurdle to-date. It very much surprised me at the time because I didn't think that the sensor actually moved very far...and certainly not far enough to leave the image circle of a FF lens.

Recently, I was blowing dust off of my sensor, and the shake reduction was on (could feel it in the body). I could only barely perceptively see the sensor move.

So... Is shake reduction really a challenge for FF? Can anyone comment on specifics of sensor movement, compared to the size of the image circle?
02-01-2013, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Can anyone comment on specifics of sensor movement, compared to the size of the image circle?
Maybe it's more of the size of the electronics needed to get it moving? e.g. magnets, circuits, etc. while keeping size down to somewhere very close to the K-7/5/5-II/5-IIs body