Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM - 2 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
I didn't say they did it on purpose, just that any press is good press. If this forum isn't the center of the Pentax 'world' then I guess there is no reason for Pentax to be upset then?
A third party talking trash about how the mothership will "re-brand" their lenses cannot be a good PR for Pentax, no matter where the leak came from. We are talking about a near flagship model (645d being the mother of all Pentax mediocrity) which will be paired with non original lenses. I am sure Tokina makes fine lenses, but I am sorry, stuff like this gives the upcoming FF with aura of blatant inadequacy. Here we have been waiting for the elusive FF without results.
Now the beans had been spilled, why bother re-branding?

How lame.

Last edited by Ash; 02-02-2013 at 04:53 AM.
02-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #62
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA*28-70/2.8 works fine at APS-C cameras. FA*80-200/2.8 too...Need just a bit better resolution. And it's all. FA20-35/4 is fine lens too. Make new metal body for this lens, improve resolution just a bit and it will be the hit.

Why couldn't they make new version of old lenses for higher MP FF cameras?

They lost optical patents for old lenses?
02-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Having been over to the Tokina booth here at CP+ and seen the way the reps there are behaving, I have no doubt one of them might have said this. What impact it has on reality, though... that's another question.

Hi from the press room, by the way.
02-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Having been over to the Tokina booth here at CP+ and seen the way the reps there are behaving, I have no doubt one of them might have said this. What impact it has on reality, though... that's another question.

Picture proof please )

02-02-2013, 01:27 AM - 5 Likes   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirYo Quote
Picture proof please )
Sup?

02-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
If true, that's about the state of affairs which I would have hoped for around Photokina 2010. That's all pretty slow considering that Pentax has to reconquer their lost market. Have all their lens designers been on vacation?
No, those lens designers weren't on vacation, but fired by Hoya and now recently re-hired by Ricoh: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/199899-hirakawa-jun-b...tax-ricoh.html

Now with the added support from Tokina they're bound to pick up speed again.
02-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #67
Inactive Account

Ask Pentax/Ricoh if they're going 4/3 with K-mount.

Im not being an sob... im just very envious about you being there

02-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People seams to presume that Pentax went to Tokina to beg them release full frame K mount lenses when Pentax goes full frame. But in the past collaboration more Pentax patented lens designs were released as Canon and Nikon mounted Tokina labeled lenses than the small number of Tokina patented lenses that turned up as Pentax labeled K mount lenses.

So I think it could just as well be so that Pentax on its way to (re)release several new (and old) Pentax patented full frame lenses has gone to Tokina to try to make a similar deal to improve their economy for these lenses. Then we will see some of them appear as Tokina labelled canon/nikon mounted lenses. I know a lot of people have been annoyed by the Tokina re-labelled Pentax lenses that was sold cheaper than the originals, but not in K mount, but somehow Pentax (thought they) made money on that, and they could (think they would) do that again. Remember, when the Tokina-Pentax lens collaboration was discussed (extensively) before, it was pointed out that Tokina's own R&D capacity is fairly small, much smaller than for example Sigma, smaller than Pentax, and that obviously explained why Tokina saw it as a fine deal to release Pentax designs for Canon and Nikon.
02-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #69
Pentaxian

This is an official announcement from a reliable source (me):
New FF rumors are in the pipeline and will be released one after the other from different sources. There will be more threads like this one.

Kjell

Last edited by bilybianca; 02-02-2013 at 04:27 AM.
02-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #70
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe

Finally, some much-needed perspective.
02-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
.... so when did you go to the Pentax plant?

Late last year. =)
02-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vince1987 Quote
Late last year. =)
Wish I was there, but as I just got a new cam body that time, I couldn't afford to fly south
02-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE: Pentax selling re-badged lenses - K28/2
02-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
RE: Pentax selling re-badged lenses - K28/2
My best lens by the way
02-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #75

I wouldn't comment about how tokina only has a few full frame lenses means that it is going to take a long time to release. They could easily release their whole ATX-Pro line and have a slew of lenses, same as pentax could release the FA*'s all over again. That is essentially what CaNikon have done with their current lenses. On those they added shake reduction and their versions of SDM, but most of those lenses are optically identical to the originals. Like I said before, it would take Pentax/Tokina a whopping 6-12 months max to equip the whole ATX-Pro and FA* lenses with SDM or DC or whatever instead of screw drive AF. Sure most of those lenses could use some tweaking, but the lenses are realistically of minimal concern to the development of the FF line. The support is already there, they just need the bodies