Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #76
Pentaxian

I expect entirely new lenses, instead of reusing decades old designs. Old lenses just aren't good enough, and Pentax would not start their new FF line with sub-par lenses. Do you think nobody would complain about CA/purple fringing, soft corners etc?
By the way, Canikon stabilized lenses were far from being "optically identical" to the non-stabilized ones.

02-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
I wouldn't comment about how tokina only has a few full frame lenses means that it is going to take a long time to release. They could easily release their whole ATX-Pro line and have a slew of lenses, same as pentax could release the FA*'s all over again. That is essentially what CaNikon have done with their current lenses. On those they added shake reduction and their versions of SDM, but most of those lenses are optically identical to the originals. Like I said before, it would take Pentax/Tokina a whopping 6-12 months max to equip the whole ATX-Pro and FA* lenses with SDM or DC or whatever instead of screw drive AF. Sure most of those lenses could use some tweaking, but the lenses are realistically of minimal concern to the development of the FF line. The support is already there, they just need the bodies
Kunzite already replied to your statement:
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I expect entirely new lenses, instead of reusing decades old designs. Old lenses just aren't good enough, and Pentax would not start their new FF line with sub-par lenses. Do you think nobody would complain about CA/purple fringing, soft corners etc?
By the way, Canikon stabilized lenses were far from being "optically identical" to the non-stabilized ones.
and I would like to add my own comment: such lenses could not be sold as is in Europe because they do not comply with the RoHS directive.

Last edited by Mistral75; 02-02-2013 at 07:59 AM.
02-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
People seams to presume that Pentax went to Tokina to beg them release full frame K mount lenses when Pentax goes full frame. But in the past collaboration more Pentax patented lens designs were released as Canon and Nikon mounted Tokina labeled lenses than the small number of Tokina patented lenses that turned up as Pentax labeled K mount lenses.

So I think it could just as well be so that Pentax on its way to (re)release several new (and old) Pentax patented full frame lenses has gone to Tokina to try to make a similar deal to improve their economy for these lenses. Then we will see some of them appear as Tokina labelled canon/nikon mounted lenses. I know a lot of people have been annoyed by the Tokina re-labelled Pentax lenses that was sold cheaper than the originals, but not in K mount, but somehow Pentax (thought they) made money on that, and they could (think they would) do that again. Remember, when the Tokina-Pentax lens collaboration was discussed (extensively) before, it was pointed out that Tokina's own R&D capacity is fairly small, much smaller than for example Sigma, smaller than Pentax, and that obviously explained why Tokina saw it as a fine deal to release Pentax designs for Canon and Nikon.
Indeed let us have a look at Tokina's portfolio of 24x36 lenses; one finds therein:

- a 100mm f/2.8 macro which exists as D-FA WR in the Pentax line-up
- two wide angle zooms, 16-28mm f/2.8 and 17-35 mm f/4
- a 70-200 mm f/4 VCM-S, featuring both ring-type ultrasonic autofocus motor (VCM = Voice Coil Motor) and optical image stabilisation, a mock-up of which was presented at CP+ 2012 and a prototype at CP+ 2013, no information on pricing and availability being available yet

and that's it.

If Pentax is to team up with Tokina, it will be to spread the costs of Pentax R&D over a bigger sales forecast rather than to take advantage of a complete range of lenses available off-the shelf.
02-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Ask Pentax/Ricoh if they're going 4/3 with K-mount.

Im not being an sob... im just very envious about you being there
Hehe. I don't think that's very likely.

I think this rumor sounds plausible, but I don't have any hard info on it, and nobody at Tokina said anything to me about it. Then again, talks and "development" do not a releasable product make. As usual, I'll believe it when I actually lay eyes on it.

02-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Since Tokina only lists 2 ATX-PRO lenses as being FF compatible I'm not sure it matters very much. Pentax has more FF glass than Tokina does..... Which is pretty sad.
Plus, it isn't going to do them much good if they were talking to the Hoya boys.
02-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
I wouldn't comment about how tokina only has a few full frame lenses means that it is going to take a long time to release. They could easily release their whole ATX-Pro line and have a slew of lenses, same as pentax could release the FA*'s all over again. That is essentially what CaNikon have done with their current lenses. On those they added shake reduction and their versions of SDM, but most of those lenses are optically identical to the originals. Like I said before, it would take Pentax/Tokina a whopping 6-12 months max to equip the whole ATX-Pro and FA* lenses with SDM or DC or whatever instead of screw drive AF. Sure most of those lenses could use some tweaking, but the lenses are realistically of minimal concern to the development of the FF line. The support is already there, they just need the bodies

Many of us would certainly not be happy to exchange their screw drive limited lens for an less reliable, SDM version
02-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Plus, it isn't going to do them much good if they were talking to the Hoya boys.
The DA 12-24mm F/4 is a Tokina lens. It is a good lens, but Tokina has never been able to keep production up for Pentax. They have always supplied the Nikon/Canon mounts under the Tokina name, and then if there was any time left they would put out a few lenses for Pentax. Maybe it is just here in the USA, but Tokina has a poor record of being able to keep product on the shelf.

02-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #83
Pentaxian

The DA 12-24 f/4 is a Pentax-made lens, with Tokina-designed optics.
02-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What about the Tamron or Sigma lenses that are 70-200 f2.8?

I would pretty much guarantee that if Pentax has a 70-200 f2.8 lens for full frame that it will be 1500 to 2000 dollars new.
While the Tamron and the Sigma versions are very good, ( I own the current Sigma version), they are not WR and that puts them both at a disadvantage in my area where at this time of the year it is always just finished raining or about to rain. On days like this I take my 18-135WR as a precautionary.
02-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
While the Tamron and the Sigma versions are very good, ( I own the current Sigma version), they are not WR and that puts them both at a disadvantage in my area where at this time of the year it is always just finished raining or about to rain. On days like this I take my 18-135WR as a precautionary.
I agree. If Pentax came out with a full frame camera, I would likely get it and a 70-200, which I expect would be sealed and quite nice. But I think it will be expensive. Most of the time, Pentax has priced their (non-IS) lenses just a hair below the IS equivalents of Nikon and Canon...
02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Many of us would certainly not be happy to exchange their screw drive limited lens for an less reliable, SDM version
At least not without hearing the "official release" from Tokina that they had fixed the SDM issues
02-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Tokina are using a voice coil motor technology for their latest baby, the AT-X 70-200 mm f/4 Pro FX VCM-S. Digital Photography Review wrote this is "a ring-type ultrasonic autofocus motor with full-time manual override".

Tokina exhibits 70-200mm F4 FX and 12-28mm F4 DX lenses at CP+: Digital Photography Review
02-02-2013, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Btw, Canon just said that the future for dSLRs will be FF (despite a possible 70D). Something I said for years.
No, that's not what he said, he talked about "semi pro": "From our semi-pro users there's still demand for APS-C but in the future, I think we will see an increase in the number of full-frame models"
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #89
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Last post here..... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/166455...tures-168.html

Should be available soon, and the Devil Squirrel has offered to guarantee the results, but only for those purchasing a ticket. There is some fine print in the guarantee, which is 12 pages long and requires an electron microscope for viewing. Good luck and happy prayer tickets!

Regards!
02-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
At least not without hearing the "official release" from Tokina that they had fixed the SDM issues
At Photokina Pentax confirmed that the SDM issue was corrected. The only weakness now with the SDM is speed.