Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
But if you use that DA*300, will the camera reconise its a DA and then like Nikon automaticly crop it ?

What about the new 560mm, its a DA too, DA mean made for APS-C only ...
Does the Nikon also limit the focus points and AE field, when it crops? One would hope so, as for a similar Pentax body.

02-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Great news, now my FA's and M42's will keep their value.

Jason
02-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I don't know how many folks have jumped ship in favour of FF elsewhere. I'd say the greater risk over the next couple of years is that Pentax's APS-C business starts to head south. Few folks are going to want to be invested in APS-C-only lenses if they think the format is for the chop. This puts great emphasis on Pentax's marketing - never, er, their strong suit. I'd guess that potential buyers and current customers will want reassurance that their needs will be catered for and solid and affordable cameras using those APS-C lenses will continue for a long time to come. Without that, there's little reason to buy Pentax whether you want a large or a small format. In this sense, the recent interview is a little depressing, a pair of competent but middle order batsmen of no great authority when the situation calls for some heavy hitters and star performers. Or at least that's how they come across. No offence, it was probably a difficult moment for them and their honesty in terms of "we don't exactly know" was awesome. My own yardstick is whether Ricoh and its senior execs continue to be conspicuous by their absence in their camera division. If they do, it suggests they either don't really care or are being careful to distance themselves from what might end up as a bit of a cluster something as the industry changes faster than Pentax can cope with.
Who says APS-C is for the chop? In order for this to happen, the market itself would have to dramatically change, which would make APS-C DSLRs non-viable.
Let's not forget Pentax options are limited by those of the competition; thus, they can only go so high (specs and prices) with APS-C. FF is not meant to fully replace APS-C, but to allow them to be on the higher end part of the small format market. Pentax is finally talking about the necessity of going higher-end, how could that not be a good sign?
02-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #139
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
In other words, you don't know. Let me remind you, your claim was that
"The progress is in deep sleep in the camp of Pentax Ricoh....

Even Ricoh is frozen with Ricoh's products...." - which implies deep knowledge about what is happening "inside".
I don't understand you. I didn't see new Ricoh's camera for 1 year. Did you see any new Ricoh camera?

Last edited by ogl; 02-04-2013 at 05:52 AM.
02-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is, of course, the small matter of one of the largest (and, I believe, fastest growing) imaging companies in the world having invested a not-inconsiderable sum of money in acquiring Pentax from its asset-stripping former owner. How do you think those senior executives involved in the acquisition and consequent rebuilding of the new asset would deal with the loss of face resulting from having a part in its early failure? At this stage, if I had to choose between an embarrassed silence and a lack of public announcements due to having a head down working on development, I wouldn't put my money on the first possibility.
02-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #141

Regarding cosmetic appearance, and only cosmetic appearance:

What do you think of a 35mm DSLR with the form factor of a mini Pentax 645(N/NII/D)?

Consider it a homage to Pentax's medium format heritage.
02-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #142
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
rise the question of the location of the on-board flash (if there is one).

But with ainterchangeable VF and thus the offering of a waist level, this could beome THE FF for landscaper
Waist-level finders are already commonplace, they're called tilt screens. Honestly, a decent non-glare, high brightness LCD screen in a horizontal position is better than a washed out, back-to-front image on a ground glass screen. Even the tiny Olympus E-PL3 screen makes a fantastic waist-level finder.

02-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't understand you. I don't see new Ricoh's camera for 1 year. Did you see any new Ricoh camera?
You were talking about "the progress" being "frozen", not about not seeing products on the market. And you were not limiting that to Ricoh cameras.
It is more than likely that "the progress" is far from being "frozen", within Pentax Ricoh.
02-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There is, of course, the small matter of one of the largest (and, I believe, fastest growing) imaging companies in the world having invested a not-inconsiderable sum of money in acquiring Pentax from its asset-stripping former owner. How do you think those senior executives involved in the acquisition and consequent rebuilding of the new asset would deal with the loss of face resulting from having a part in its early failure? At this stage, if I had to choose between an embarrassed silence and a lack of public announcements due to having a head down working on development, I wouldn't put my money on the first possibility.
The silence wouldn't be from embarrassment, whatever that is, but from lack of interest. Ricoh bought Pentax for a relatively tiny sum compared to Ricoh's balance sheet. In fact the argument might be that Ricoh haven't invested enough to give them a strong reason to make a success of their investment, especially since they bought it cheap because the previous owners had stripped the company. It's too easy to forget about all about it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, etc. I wouldn't take a bet either way, though we'll surely know through the course of this year.

Last edited by mecrox; 02-04-2013 at 04:05 AM.
02-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Does anyone actually know the price? The only thing I know of is some estimation made by a Nikkei analyst. Is that close to the real figure? Is that far off? I have no idea.

What would be the basis for that argument? We know Pentax Ricoh have plans to double their sales, can this be possible without investments?
02-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Who says APS-C is for the chop? In order for this to happen, the market itself would have to dramatically change, which would make APS-C DSLRs non-viable.
Let's not forget Pentax options are limited by those of the competition; thus, they can only go so high (specs and prices) with APS-C. FF is not meant to fully replace APS-C, but to allow them to be on the higher end part of the small format market. Pentax is finally talking about the necessity of going higher-end, how could that not be a good sign?
The CEO of Canon Imaging for a start. Actually he didn't say that, not precisely, but that's how his remarks seem to have been interpreted elsewhere. Anything similar from Nikon would allow the view to settle that it is game over for the APS-C DSLR even if it isn't. The format will slowly migrate to mirrorless using new lenses with a shorter registration distance, if you believe Mr Canon (or the implications behind his recent remarks). Of course that doesn't have to be true but perception is all - hence marketing and reassurance become especially important to present APS-C DSLR-makers and their customers. They won't want folks holding off or going to a competitor's mirrorless instead.
02-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The silence wouldn't be from embarrassment, whatever that is, but from lack of interest. Ricoh bought Pentax for a relatively tiny sum compared to Ricoh's balance sheet. In fact the argument might be that Ricoh haven't invested enough to give them a strong reason to make a success of their investment, especially since they bought it cheap because the previous owners had stripped the company. It's too easy to forget about all about it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, etc. I wouldn't take a bet either way, though we'll surely know through the course of this year.
I would really find that hard to believe. The money involved might have been comparatively small, but no-one in a serious business spends such an amount without having done a proper due diligence and having a plan for developing their acquisition.
02-04-2013, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
[...] The answer isn't quite as definitive as I was originally told it was, but I think it's still fair to say that we have our official confirmation, especially considering the dramatic change in their answer since Photokina. If the head of product planning thinks that FF is a good idea, then IMO that's just good as saying that the camera will be made. Plus, he clearly says that development of the FF is advancing, which you can't really argue with. [...]
I finally had hoped for a clear "yes" to this question.

Obviously, the interview has not been fully translated yet.
However, at least the questions should already be available.
Maybe this would be a good starting point.
Could you also indicate the reactions to the petition to de-cripple the Pentax K-mount?

CP+ 2013: Interview with Canon's Masaya Maeda
QuoteQuote:
There will be a Canon EOS 70D, but the future of semi-pro DSLRs is probably full-frame, says Masaya Maeda, Managing Director and Chief Executive, Image Communication Products Operations at Canon.
[...]
Now that full frame is appearing in cameras the size and price of the 6D, the future of APS-C at the semi-pro level is in doubt, he says: 'That's something we're considering at the moment. From our semi-pro users there's still demand for APS-C but in the future, I think we will see an increase in the number of full-frame models.'
02-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #149
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You were talking about "the progress" being "frozen", not about not seeing products on the market. And you were not limiting that to Ricoh cameras.
It is more than likely that "the progress" is far from being "frozen", within Pentax Ricoh.
Progress is innovation for me, I never said about frozen progress at all. I says that Pentax has no any serious innovations for mainstream market.
That's why there is no any issue to discuss.

The first in the world MF lens for USD5000 with SR system is good, but it's unnoticeable for photo market at all.
And for 99,9999% of users...

I said about Ricoh's camera lines - no new cameras more than 1 year. It's not normal.
02-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #150
Veteran Member

We can all sit in the afternoon sun, on our Pentax bench, and discuss the beauty of FF. And if there is no sun, maybe somewhere else. It is good to dream.
Meanwhile, I am happy to have sold most of my Pentax stuff, happy to go around with my Q. (And Em-5).
I can wait. Maybe once there indeed will be a Pentax FF. But I no longer feel I need it that much. Somehow Q and Olympus lured me away. But of course it still would be fantastic to visit my favorite spots with a Pentax FF.
But if not, then well, not.
And when I am done waiting, I am sure there will be plenty to choose from. I really hope for the best, but for me that best is also ok when mirror less.
By now I am not young enough anymore to be too patient.