Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #586
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I never actually thought of that.

It is 45' today and the snow isn't melting because it is covered with sleet - but there isn't a cloud in the sky. I don't get New Mexico skies at dusk here, but hey, fun!
I moved to St Louis a few days ago from San Diego...my first full day here was the day of the blizzard. My wife and I were thinking what the hell are we doing here! But the past two days have been real pretty

02-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #587
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I moved to St Louis a few days ago from San Diego...my first full day here was the day of the blizzard. My wife and I were thinking what the hell are we doing here! But the past two days have been real pretty
Welcome to St. Louis! I'll be curious to know what brought you here.

FWIW, you are past the worst of it. This wasn't really a bad storm - we haven't had one in so long that we've forgotten how to drive, and the TVNews Weather people love to hyperventilate and preempt all the regular programming over what amounted to just 4".

Spring here is the nicer for what we're leaving behind. Spend these next few weeks learning what to explore once things start blooming!!
02-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #588
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never actually thought of that.

It is 45' today and the snow isn't melting because it is covered with sleet - but there isn't a cloud in the sky. I don't get New Mexico skies at dusk here, but hey, fun!
See, in that light, it is f/8, estimate (usually near infinity) and snap some great street shots. That is basically how the zone focus on the rangefinderless XA2 works--the autofocus of the early '80s.
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
See, in that light, it is f/8, estimate (usually near infinity) and snap some great street shots. That is basically how the zone focus on the rangefinderless XA2 works--the autofocus of the early '80s.
Well there are those orange marks for that . I just never connected the idea to try

02-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #590
Veteran Member

Welcome to St. Louis! I'll be curious to know what brought you here.

FWIW, you are past the worst of it. This wasn't really a bad storm - we haven't had one in so long that we've forgotten how to drive, and the TVNews Weather people love to hyperventilate and preempt all the regular programming over what amounted to just 4".

Spring here is the nicer for what we're leaving behind. Spend these next few weeks learning what to explore once things start blooming!!
Thanks
At least I had an excuse, I have never been outside when it was snowing so hard, let alone drive in it!
I came here because I work in the aerospace industry and the company (won't say which one but you being from St Louis already know which one) gave me a sweet relocation package and opportunity

I must say, what they say about Midwestern friendliness is true...everyone. I have come across has been great

Last edited by cali92rs; 02-24-2013 at 08:44 AM.
02-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #591
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Thanks
At least I had an excuse, I have never been outside when it was snowing so hard, let alone drive in it!
I came here because I work in the aerospace industry and the company (won't say which one but you being from St Louis already know which one) gave me a sweet relocation package and opportunity

I must say, what they say about Midwestern friendliness is true...everyone. I have come across has been great
Ah - I guessed right then, from SoCal. Glad it is good so far. There is an Orchid Show today at Missouri Botanical Garden. My wife and I are going - can't decide whether Q or K-01. If you're not stuck unpacking, it is quite a show!! for World Pentax Day!!

The only bummer is they don't permit a tripod.

Oh, and we won't make you change your UserID to ShowMe92rs.
02-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #592
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Canon, Nikon and Sony don't think, but produce FF cameras. Pentax thinks about FF camera, but doesn't produce.
BUt due to relatively low demand Sony stopped FF for over 18 months, even when they had the lowest prices and their systems could us Minolta AF legacy glass (an installed base larger than Pentax).

This happened even when Sony had 2 major advantages over Pentax: a much superior, well-greased distribution network, and Sony's sensors are in-house.

Pentax wil make an FF when the price of the sensor and overall FF DSLR system drops to a reasonable cost overhead relative to the necessary volume sales,all without an interruption of current cash flow vis-a-vis APS-C.

02-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #593
Veteran Member

Sony looses money for more than 8 years. There is a recovery plan running, I assume they will cut non profitable activities.
02-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #594
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Sony looses money for more than 8 years. There is a recovery plan running, I assume they will cut non profitable activities.
What, like Sony Pictures / Sony Television? Michael Jackson catalog?
02-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #595
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
This happened even when Sony had 2 major advantages over Pentax: a much superior, well-greased distribution network, and Sony's sensors are in-house.
But Sony's FF sensor at the time wasn't competitive and I think it is fair to assume that many people had not warmed up yet to the idea of sticking very expensive CZ glass on to a Walkman camera.
02-24-2013, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #596
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
But Sony's FF sensor at the time wasn't competitive and I think it is fair to assume that many people had not warmed up yet to the idea of sticking very expensive CZ glass on to a Walkman camera.
+1

Plus, Sony feels that FF is important enough that they have brought it back. Their first go around was at a time when FF was really mostly only embraced by pros. Now, there are more advanced amateurs looking for FF.
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #597
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Now, there are more advanced amateurs looking for FF

I actually enjoy seeing someone with little experience (possibly an amateur) lugging around a full frame that costs about 2500 (sometimes less); then adding about 1k for a lens' or two. Then to make it better, they're shooting nothing but jpegs and using all automatic settings.
02-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #598
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Not exactly.

The new Play Station (whatever model name they elect to give to it) hardware is going to lose a fortune - as does most new video game hardware. Sony also has plans for numerous other items which will also lose money during their initial release. Sony is also working on their version to outspec Google Glass.

On another note all together; guess it's about time to start a thread on Google Glass, and all of it's major privacy issues
02-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #599
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
On another note all together; guess it's about time to start a thread on Google Glass, and all of it's major privacy issues
It'll be an interesting lawsuit the first time the police arrest someone for filming them with Google Glasses.
02-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #600
Banned

There have already been presidence setting cases in that regard. That *in general* citizens are permitted to photograph law enforcement as long as it occurs on public property and does not cause imminent concern to safety otherwise.

But that also would not keep the average law enforcement person from trying to detail someone and asking a series (sometimes long series) of questions. Then there's also that very vague set of laws about "disorderly conduct"; meaning a "real" law enforcement officer could site someone for such conduct - even though it could eventually be dismissed.

By the way did I mention even when dismissed that; something such as that type of conduct does in fact stay on the "long version" (not the one available to you) of ones entire credit report?