Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #766
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I find the on-lens DoF markings most useful. I don't often study them before the shots I take, because I have a fair idea what aperture I'd like to get the DoF I need for the shot before I take it.
Same here, but only experience has tought us that. For a beginner though, correct DOF preview would be much more helpfull then using a notebook.

04-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #767
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's true, and there's also the digital DoF preview available on Pentax dSLRs.
04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #768
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Are you comparing these to full frame lenses, or to FA limiteds mounted on APS-C, which is all that Pentax has?
Full frame. I could've used Nikon and their F/1.8 series, feel free to substitute if you desire... with associated cost savings over the FA's. You might end up getting your D600 for free.
04-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #769
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Full frame. I could've used Nikon and their F/1.8 series, feel free to substitute if you desire... with associated cost savings over the FA's. You might end up getting your D600 for free.
That's fine, but Jay Sherman had commented about why I had chosen APS-C over micro four thirds and I don't really feel that the same reasons necessarily apply that apply between APS-C and full frame.

04-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #770
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The reality is that APS-C, comparing Pentax to Olympus, has no benefit with regard to depth of field, because Olympus has fast lenses available (expensive, but still) and Pentax has relatively slow, small lenses. But, you still have a hard time beating a lens like the DA 15 limited with other set ups, because it isn't a lens where the benefit comes from narrow depth of field, but rather large depth of field and great rendering and colors/contrast.
I think this pretty much hits the nail on the head. It's about the glass, not about the sensor size. And by glass, I don't mean resolution. Most skilled photographers can attain all the resolution they need regardless of whether they are shooting 4/3rds, APS-C, or FF, provided they shoot with something better than a kit lens. What you won't get with Olympus or Canikon FF is the color rendition of Pentax's best glass. And at least as far as landscape images go, I have found that I'm far more likely to garner praise for distinctive color than for resolution or DOF control.
04-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #771
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, and to bring the most out of Pentax's great glass like the FA Limiteds, FF would be an awesome and highly sought after format in their arsenal of cameras.
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #772
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax full frame - the camera so famous it does not need to exist to get it's own forum heading.

04-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #773

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Pentax full frame - the camera so famous it does not need to exist to get it's own forum heading.
So they should give us one already, and a FF lens lineup!
Enough of "we don't have the lens so we won't make the camera" and "with no camera why make the lens".
There is a new thread every day since 2002 asking for a Pentax FF system, there must be a market for it!
IMHO, the customers they are loosing are the ones with the most severe LBA. The best ones that is, from Pentax' point of view.
04-05-2013, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #774
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Like Cold Fusion, the potential payoff is so great we pretend it's here already.
04-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #775
Veteran Member

Well, the trick is to get Canikon owners to postpone new purchases, and wait for the FF Pentax also. To get them to want some feature so badly that they'll start joining the chorus. And I keep thinking 'battle-tested'. The only camera proven in Iraq and Afghanistan. Get a Canikon for your wife... sure. But for guys... for real men... Pentax. Pentax for front-line pros, where you have to shoot with the best. And, if Pentax isn't already an approved vendor to the US Department of Defense, they're crazy! Marines at Fallujah with Pentax... Navy Seals with Pentax... Army Rangers with Pentax... you get the idea. The same sort of patriotic war-inspired product advertising you see from Boeing and Lockheed-Martin.

After all, you might not be able to buy a full-auto M4A1 carbine, but you CAN buy a ruggedized, mud-tested, weatherproof K-5... today... no background check!
04-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #776

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Well, the trick is to get Canikon owners to postpone new purchases, and wait for the FF Pentax also. To get them to want some feature so badly that they'll start joining the chorus. And I keep thinking 'battle-tested'. The only camera proven in Iraq and Afghanistan. Get a Canikon for your wife... sure. But for guys... for real men... Pentax. Pentax for front-line pros, where you have to shoot with the best. And, if Pentax isn't already an approved vendor to the US Department of Defense, they're crazy! Marines at Fallujah with Pentax... Navy Seals with Pentax... Army Rangers with Pentax... you get the idea. The same sort of patriotic war-inspired product advertising you see from Boeing and Lockheed-Martin.

After all, you might not be able to buy a full-auto M4A1 carbine, but you CAN buy a ruggedized, mud-tested, weatherproof K-5... today... no background check!
Such a contract would be great for Pentax. We know they can keep their end of the bargain!

Regarding the M4A1 acquisition, if i recall correctly, one could RENT a panzer tank in the heart of NY city with just a driving license! Hopefully things have changed since...
04-06-2013, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #777
Pentaxian

If anyone waiting for a Pentax FF model feels misrepresented by Jim Malcolm who stated in an interview that the feedback he received about an FF camera by "almost everybody" was "I don’t really need full frame. " then scoot over to the interview page and leave a comment stating your view.

Or just send an email to ask.pentax@prac.pentax.com. Best do both.

I have trouble making sense of what he said; what do you think?
04-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #778
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
That just plain cuts
04-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #779
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If anyone waiting for a Pentax FF model feels misrepresented by Jim Malcolm who stated in an interview that the feedback he received about an FF camera by "almost everybody" was "I don’t really need full frame. " then scoot over to the interview page and leave a comment stating your view.

Or just send an email to ask.pentax@prac.pentax.com. Best do both.

I have trouble making sense of what he said; what do you think?
It does occur to me that the article is written. It isn't a transcript. James Malcolm might not have made such a statement the way it was written in the article, whether his words were paraphrased by design or in error.

That isn't a fanboi opinion - by no means - but it wouldn't be the first time such a thing had happened.
04-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #780
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It does occur to me that the article is written. It isn't a transcript. James Malcolm might not have made such a statement the way it was written in the article, whether his words were paraphrased by design or in error.
Assuming that is true Mr. Malcolm should do something to clarify the record.