Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm. I think I backed into a decent use-optimized digital Pentax camera collection.

K10D > as long as it lasts @ ISO100
K-01 > when a range of exposure with excellent IQ is needed, but small and light enough to carry all day if necessary
Q > when the absolute best IQ isn't necessary but size is a premium

K-FF > probably will succumb to the temptation since I have so many FF lenses, but
K-5IIs > best of the flood of FS or closeout bodies when the K-FF is released

02-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't think I'll be able to afford full-frame yet, but I've said that the Pentax full-frame is a matter of when, not if. It would not be unreasonable to expect a product announcement by the end of 2013, with the camera shipping by 1Q 2014.

--DragonLord
02-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
Amazing big viewfinder and small body don't really go together ... I much prefre a 100% X1 (or 0.90) viewfinder and a body as big as a 5D , than a small body you have to hold with a tweezers and an other X0.70 viewfinder.

A twisty screen could be a first on an FF no ?
Of course it does. Look at the Pentax MX!
02-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IIRC, at the time of release of the K-30 Pentax stated they are committed to 100% and 1.0x where an optical viewfinder is offered.

02-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #80

100% yes, they never said x1 ... I wich.
And it still would have to be a big guy wich I prefer too
02-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC, at the time of release of the K-30 Pentax stated they are committed to 100% and 1.0x where an optical viewfinder is offered.
I hope they keep this up with the FF. That would be great.
02-03-2013, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #82

For a couple months been working overtime and have saved enough for a FF. Was on the edge of jumping ship to the Nikon camp, but kept dragging my feet because of an uneasy feeling over it.
I've had opportunities to use both Nikon and Canon but neither seem as well thought out as my old Pentax K10D. Perhaps it is just because of what I have got used to for the last 6+ years. After enough use anything will feel natural (even a Canon)

But this is encouraging news from Pentax.

Closing my eyes it isn't hard to imagine me and my Pentax FF enjoying a nice evening flying over Central New York with the doors off with the smell of springtime filling the cabin as the shadows grow long....

02-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #83
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oppositz Quote
For a couple months been working overtime and have saved enough for a FF. Was on the edge of jumping ship to the Nikon camp, but kept dragging my feet because of an uneasy feeling over it.
I've had opportunities to use both Nikon and Canon but neither seem as well thought out as my old Pentax K10D. Perhaps it is just because of what I have got used to for the last 6+ years. After enough use anything will feel natural (even a Canon)

But this is encouraging news from Pentax.

Closing my eyes it isn't hard to imagine me and my Pentax FF enjoying a nice evening flying over Central New York with the doors off with the smell of springtime filling the cabin as the shadows grow long....
I'm sure that handling-wise the Pentax FF will be better than both the D600 and the D800, because their interfaces have their quirks to say the least. I just hope that Pentax can keep up in terms of overall processing speed, AF, and video, which is something that everybody looks at...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #84
Veteran Member

A FF Pentax DSLR is confirmed?

Here are the quotes:

"... right now I think that we should make them."

"The development of the technology is advancing and at this point it is being presented."

These two quotes suggest to me they are advancing their FF concepts but still may choose not to continue to commercialization.
02-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
100% yes, they never said x1 ... I wich.
And it still would have to be a big guy wich I prefer too
Hmm. Size is important, as they say, but which size is the question (it's all about how you use it). If there aren't to be two models (and I guess multiple prototypes doesn't rule that out) then the compromise, as with every model except the K30 and predecessors, is a smaller body with a grip option. I don't have small hands, but I prefer the K-5 without the grip. My K-5 owning friends with larger hands seem to prefer it with the grip. I know it's an extra outlay, but it's one many of us would get anyway, to extend battery life and provide good portrait-orientation ergonomics.
02-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #86
Banned

Well this is good news.
02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #87
Veteran Member

gun metal grey for me please
02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #88
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Pentax often releases products that leave us scratching our heads first, then embracing and buying. So the new full frame will be a K-01 mirrorless with a bigger sensor stuffed inside (look inside a K-01, there's room).

Retail will be $499 for the first FF camera to be not only under $1000 but under $500. They did the test marketing already with the K-01...at $700 it flopped, but at $300 thousands of naysayers decided to give it a try even though we didn't want the style, mirrorless design, no viewfinder etc. We also found that such a mirrorless camera isn't so bad so now as a buying group we are ripe for such a FF product.

Though nobody squabbling for FF would ask for a mirrorless model...at $500 every one of us would buy at least one.

To make money on it, there would be an optional viewfinder for over $300 and a grip for another $300. Dedicated flash for another $300, GPS/startracker for $300, silly leather case for $300--oh wait, they already have that...Point here is they sell a FF body for dirt cheap and little profit, then answer for the options folks want at high profit margin to make the product line profitable. Look at printers...practically given away in the marketplace so companies can revenue off the ink. I foresee a dirt cheap FF with corporate profits coming from subsequent accessory sales. And sorry everyone...all FF lens prices will be increased so Pentax can profit from lenses to marry with the elcheapo body.

Forgot to mention, this will be coming out in 6 years after we've all forgotten about the K-01

For landscape photography [my main interest] a mirrorless FF a la K-01 would be fine, especially with an articulated screen with accessory shade for bright light situations. I would buy one, even w/o in-body stabilization, if IQ matched or exceeded the D-800e.
02-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Now we have official rumors!!!!! AWESOME..
02-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks for the news, Adam, but except for the bit about multiple prototypes we have heard it all before, haven't we?

The really interesting questions are "When?" and "How much?".
OK, I retract that.

After having watched
, I think the interesting question is "If?" again.

QuoteQuote:
"...many people are open to the idea of making full-frame cameras..."
That doesn't sound affirmative at all.

Oh, boy...