Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
That doesn't sound affirmative at all.

For the suits at Pentax simply saying "we are open to the idea" is about as concrete as you're going to get. If you asked them if they plan on being in business next year you would get the same answer. "We are open to the idea." If you asked them if they wanted a cup of coffee they would respond "We are open to the idea."

02-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
For the suits at Pentax simply saying "we are open to the idea" is about as concrete as you're going to get.
I appreciate that it isn't in Pentax's best interest to make a firm announcement (they want to sell some more APS-C cameras before the FF launch).

However, if the intent was to throw Pentaxians who are on the verge of jumping ship a lifeline of hope for a FF model, then they have failed, AFAIC.

Prior to the interview, the situation appeared to be that FF development was being carried out but it wasn't sure yet at what price the camera could be offered, or whether it could be offered at all. Remember when Pentax expressed their surprise about the falling FF prices?

If the translation of the CP+ interview is correct, it is a step backwards from the above, AFAIC.

IMHO, they should have said that they would love to offer an FF, that they are heavily looking into it (including development) but that it isn't clear yet what the features will be, at what price point it could be offered, and when it will be possible to launch it.

The above would be non-committal as well, albeit show that they want to make an FF model but have to see what the market allows.
Their actual message appears to communicate that they aren't even sure that they want to make one.
02-03-2013, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I refer us all (again) to the investment community. I may even have done that in this thread. Ricoh stock price has doubled since August. DigiCams (money loser in previous FY) were break-even in this most recent FY and, it is expected, will be significant and meaningful cash flow and profit generator in coming (3) Fiscal Years. The investment community likes Ricoh's plan to double DigiCam market share globally in 3 years, based on new product introductions, and then double again based on Regional brand extensions of B2B business relationships and market presence (whatever that means).

So I guess I should say, "Be of good cheer, Pentaxians. Ricoh has a Plan - and you will be happy!"
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #94

Frankly I'm tired of hearing about FF vaporware. The K-5 II / S are exactly the kind of incremental improvements Pentax should concentrate on - and there are many more. I won't be jumping on any FF bandwagon (if, not when it happens), however if the speculators on this forum are right that old Pentax glass will become extremely valuable should Pentax release a FF version, well I'll keep my K-5 and make a fortune selling off my 30 year old lenses.

02-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am inclined to place a bit of faith and optimism in Adam's declaration, given that he was there and conducted the interview, over what a Japanese businessman is willing to state on camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2013 at 03:46 PM.
02-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #96
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I am inclined to place a bit of faith and optimism in Adam's declaration, given that he was there and conducted the interview, over what a Japanese businessman is willing to state on camera.
It wasn't me doing the interview, and I agree that the original info I got was a bit more definitive than the final translation, but based on what we know as well as on the conversations that took place off camera, my journalist (Albert Siegel, he's a member here) also believes that it's definitive now that a full-frame is coming.

Sure, there is still a little wiggle room, but there always has to be. In any case, come 2014 I'm sure we'll have the FF in our hands. It really is inevitable at this point

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Phosphene Quote
So what is everyone wanting here? Them to rush and shove a POS FF out the door? Would you rather be a little patient and get something that could possibly make the people who lost their patience and bought into the Nikon or Canon FFs think, "Woops! Maybe I should have waited?"
I don't think it will spec out as well as the D800 other than overall size and weather sealing.. I doubt it will have the 36MP sensor, or as good as an AF system. But I do see the GUI and feature set being better than the D600/60D. I see this as competition for the D800 and 5DMIII.. but sort of a middle ground between those and the D600/60D. Hopefully the big benefit will be small size and amazing weather sealing as usual.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm sure that handling-wise the Pentax FF will be better than both the D600 and the D800, because their interfaces have their quirks to say the least. I just hope that Pentax can keep up in terms of overall processing speed, AF, and video, which is something that everybody looks at...
I must agree, I love my D800, but the K-5's GUI was much nicer to use, but I also like the DoF preview button I have on my D800.. Ergonomically it fits nice in the hand for larger hands, but it's like comparing holding a nice Sig 228 vs a Desert Eagle... both would do the job just fine.

02-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It wasn't me doing the interview, and I agree that the original info I got was a bit more definitive than the final translation, but based on what we know as well as on the conversations that took place off camera, my journalist (Albert Siegel, he's a member here) also believes that it's definitive now that a full-frame is coming.

Sure, there is still a little wiggle room, but there always has to be. In any case, come 2014 I'm sure we'll have the FF in our hands. It really is inevitable at this point
But where in the lens line-up is there any new lenses with faster AF systems over the FA's?
02-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #99
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
But where in the lens line-up is there any new lenses with faster AF systems over the FA's?
Well that's a problem that remains to be solved, but it's fairly likely that Pentax will be coming up with some sort of re-badged lineup. Tokina and Tamron could both deliver...

Tokina Confirms Pentax Full-frame Under Development - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #100

very odd, just a one-minute-interview?? did i miss anything?
02-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #101
Veteran Member

The guy on the left looks like a lawyer representing his client on the right.

QuoteOriginally posted by tx0h Quote
very odd, just a one-minute-interview?? did i miss anything?
Yes, the full interview to be posted soon. Undergoing translation per Adam.
02-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #102
Veteran Member

The interviewee looked about as excited as someone who was giving instructions for how to get to the nearest gas station.
02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Going by what Adam has published this is not a conformation that there will be a full frame Pentax. Only that at this time they think it is a good idea to make one and the available technology to do that is being presented. As a journalist I'm alway's trying to get clearcut answers to questions and the answer Adam got in my opinion still gives them room to abandon the idea in a later stage. If the technological solutions that are being presented don't meet the commercial requirements (like cheap enough to make and unique enough to differentiate it from the competition) their wish to make a full frame could remain what it is right now; a wish... It still is progress for people wanting a full frame camera but not enough to justify the conclusion that full frame camera definitely will become available.

And I wonder how much of their answers is guided by the pressure put on them by the market and their Ricoh 'overlords' desire to compete with the big players in that market. That doesn't mean their answers aren't truthful but they probably want to 'keep the dream alive' to prevent current users going to the competition. Keeping that window of opportunity open makes sense on the short term but they can't keep this up for a very long time anymore. You can't keep on feeding the 'full frame hungry" and create more potential customers for such a camera in that process without suffering an increasingly bigger backlash when that camera doesn't materialize. They are effectively maneuvering themselves in a corner they can't get out without producing an full frame camera that meets the increasingly bigger demands of potential customers (the wish lists are getting longer and longer) or really hurting the company by not meeting those expectations.

Pfff. Writing in English is difficult...
02-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we westerners might misinterpret the meaning of the phrase "being presented," which I interpret to mean, "moving ahead."

This sounds like about as positive a statement that Pentax will release a FF as they are willing to give us.
02-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think we westerners might misinterpret the meaning of the phrase "being presented," which I interpret to mean, "moving ahead."

This sounds like about as positive a statement that Pentax will release a FF as they are willing to give us.
That movement ahead can stop. But perhaps I'm to much of a sceptic. I'll just enjoy what we have right now without expectations about future products getting in the way!