Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #121

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
Bring back dedicated DOF Preview Button in front of camera (better than using the power switch to preview DOF)
I actually preffer the way the buton is now, but maybe that is just me

02-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
The guy on the left looks like a lawyer representing his client on the right.
So I'm not the only one who was waiting with anticipation for the guy on the left to pull out a ruler and give the young guy a smack across the knuckles at any moment!
02-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well that's a problem that remains to be solved, but it's fairly likely that Pentax will be coming up with some sort of re-badged lineup. Tokina and Tamron could both deliver...

Tokina Confirms Pentax Full-frame Under Development - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
Well, I think a tokina partnership involving release of their 2 current and the newly announced tokina Fx lenses would be a huge help - tokina makes some absolutely great glass at reasonable prices....hopefully they don't rebadge them and charge an extra 50% though!

Last edited by pxpaulx; 02-03-2013 at 10:02 PM.
02-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
They (Pentax Ricoh) are surprisingly calm re FF camera confirmation, however, that can be understood, because people are putting enormous pressure on them.
That pressure goes over the limits of good taste and rationality to be frank, it's irrational and even stupid.
No company likes that to be dictated under a gunpoint about what they are supposed to do. You as a user may suggest, but in good faith, not in demonstrably bad manner.

Further points of yours are off the mark. Some users inside PF may perceive Pentax small sensor cameras to be boring, but much more people don't. Plenty of people stay away from the FF frenzy which clouds your judgement heavily.
Yeah, but you have to understand that Pentax have been surprisingly calm and nudge nudge wink wink about FF for over half a decade. Until there is a prototype, in a box, on a pedestal at a camera show with a release date plastered on a plaque underneath I'll still have to take that video with a grain of salt.

Pentax users aren't putting enormous pressure on them to produce FF anymore - the market is. The market pricing is at a tipping point where there are quite a few people who are willing to give up (some all, some partially like myself) their Pentax gear for FF offerings. The d600 deal at the end of last year, make no mistake, was the same price (with lens and extras accounted for) as the K-5 body was new, 2 years ago.

2.5 years ago when the K-5 was making it's way to market, I would've been on your side of the fight in any discussion involving comments such as these from OGL (and believe me there have been plenty!), but I gotta say he is hitting a lot closer to the mark now than he was then.

02-03-2013, 10:12 PM - 2 Likes   #125
Pentaxian

Oh, boy what comedy all this Pentax FF question has become! Month after month, year after year every smirk from a company executive is seen as a definite sign that a FF is coming. And month after month, year after year ... nothing. On the other hand while that interview was again very vague, we have now seen positive comments on the idea in two consecutive industry shows. I think that means they really are doing something, but how eagerly and at what pace? No official announcement, no prototypes or mockups shown. I think that at best we'd see something like the 2012 D800 with smaller size and better ergonomics in late 2014 ... 2015. Have fun waiting!

P.S. They are lacking in every other product segment excluding colorful P&S cameras as well. How long exactly should a takeover take before a company is in full steam???

Last edited by Raffwal; 02-03-2013 at 10:59 PM.
02-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #126
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Oh, boy what comedy all this Pentax FF question has become! Month after month, year after year every smirk from a company executive is seen as a definite sign that a FF is coming. And month after month, year after year ... nothing.
P.S. They are lacking in every other product segment excluding colorful P&S cameras as well. How long exactly should a takeover take before a company is in full steam???
Absolutely right. The progress is in deep sleep in the camp of Pentax Ricoh....

Even Ricoh is frozen with Ricoh's products....
02-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #127
Pentaxian

ogl, how would you know?

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Yeah, but you have to understand that Pentax have been surprisingly calm and nudge nudge wink wink about FF for over half a decade. Until there is a prototype, in a box, on a pedestal at a camera show with a release date plastered on a plaque underneath I'll still have to take that video with a grain of salt.
However, they didn't talk so openly about FF until last year, did they?
02-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #128

I like to hear that pentax tries to do a FF again, but i seriuosly have to wonder what it will be. And sadly i am more convinced that it will some D600 Clone two years late. Not to mention the experiance other manufactures already got by their 2nd or 3rd FF offering.

02-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #129
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
ogl, how would you know?
I observe the new things at photo market.

Pay attention at Fujifilm's new cameras - X100s and X20. For example.
Have a look at AF of this camera...
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/30/Fujifilm-announces-WIFi-enabled-F900EXR

Remember NEX and Alfa 99.

Do you know any new Ricoh camera for last year?
MX-1 is just old XZ-1 in bigger body.

Pentax is no engineering photo company anymore. It's history now. It's sad, but true. No any serious innovations.
02-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
ogl, how would you know?

However, they didn't talk so openly about FF until last year, did they?
To play the devils advocate again: who says they don't just produce these rumors to prevent people from jumping ship? Past year, more people then ever abandoned Pentax. And those people were very open about it too, announcing it in various threads. Pentax had to come with a more promising outlook to prevent more jumpers. Didn't they play this same card much to often to fool every one for a 30th time? And if they really have multiple working prototypes, why don't they just display them at CP+!? "Dear user, we are anxious to show you these three exiting early prototypes. Please tell us which one to continue to develope."
02-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #131
ogl
Pentaxian

I don't wait for FF from Pentax....But I'm afraid we can't see FF camera soon...Or maybe never...
02-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I observe the new things at photo market.
In other words, you don't know. Let me remind you, your claim was that
"The progress is in deep sleep in the camp of Pentax Ricoh....

Even Ricoh is frozen with Ricoh's products...." - which implies deep knowledge about what is happening "inside".

Clavius, Pentax never did "play this same card much to often to fool every one for a 30th time". They were planning to launch a FF camera some time ago, having to cancel it; then they never said anything even remotely close to what we're hearing now.
Can you show data about "more people than ever" leaving Pentax?
And by the way, for the 645D it was only about external design choices.
02-04-2013, 02:00 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
To play the devils advocate again: who says they don't just produce these rumors to prevent people from jumping ship? Past year, more people then ever abandoned Pentax. And those people were very open about it too, announcing it in various threads. Pentax had to come with a more promising outlook to prevent more jumpers. Didn't they play this same card much to often to fool every one for a 30th time? And if they really have multiple working prototypes, why don't they just display them at CP+!? "Dear user, we are anxious to show you these three exiting early prototypes. Please tell us which one to continue to develope."
I don't know how many folks have jumped ship in favour of FF elsewhere. I'd say the greater risk over the next couple of years is that Pentax's APS-C business starts to head south. Few folks are going to want to be invested in APS-C-only lenses if they think the format is for the chop. This puts great emphasis on Pentax's marketing - never, er, their strong suit. I'd guess that potential buyers and current customers will want reassurance that their needs will be catered for and solid and affordable cameras using those APS-C lenses will continue for a long time to come. Without that, there's little reason to buy Pentax whether you want a large or a small format. In this sense, the recent interview is a little depressing, a pair of competent but middle order batsmen of no great authority when the situation calls for some heavy hitters and star performers. Or at least that's how they come across. No offence, it was probably a difficult moment for them and their honesty in terms of "we don't exactly know" was awesome. My own yardstick is whether Ricoh and its senior execs continue to be conspicuous by their absence in their camera division. If they do, it suggests they either don't really care or are being careful to distance themselves from what might end up as a bit of a cluster something as the industry changes faster than Pentax can cope with.

Last edited by mecrox; 02-04-2013 at 02:27 AM.
02-04-2013, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #134
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
..for us bird/wildlife shooters,as 1.5 crop is definitely a plus..
How so, a 300mm lens remains a 300mm lens, the sensor size of the camera does not change this. Take your bird shot on a full frame cam and then crop to 1.5 and you have the same result a 1.5 crop camera will give you.
02-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #135

But if you use that DA*300, will the camera reconise its a DA and then like Nikon automaticly crop it ?

What about the new 560mm, its a DA too, DA mean made for APS-C only ...