Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Great news Pentax!
But too late in my case, Pentax lost me a year ago to Nikon FF.
Well, that's it then. They might as well not bother.
Except for those of us who are still waiting for a smaller, lighter FF body that can mount and use our FA*, limited or M42 lenses to their fullest extent, looking through a big, bright 100% OVF. Of course, we don't yet know which of those things will come to pass, let alone what the price will be.

Meantime, some of us will be contentedly taking photos with our flawed but interesting APS-C DSLRs, the ones with the Pentax badges on, mostly.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 02-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.
02-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i'd love to try this lens, but so hard to find, and price are sky high !
I got it quite cheap here in Sweden on an auction site. I didn't know anything about it nor its general pricing but put in a lowish bid and got it! Maybe my best steal ever? It's a cool lens even on a crop camera: Flickr: A.Sundell's stuff tagged with pentaxf1728mm3545smcfisheye
Sadly it has developed a tight focus ring when set to a range och focal lenght and I dunno why.
02-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As luck would have it, I can pretty much do anything I want with my current selection of lenses and cameras. A full frame would just expand my options in the same (but opposite) way that the Q does.
I will be first in line when it hits the market.
02-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I got it quite cheap here in Sweden on an auction site. I didn't know anything about it nor its general pricing but put in a lowish bid and got it! Maybe my best steal ever?
when one appear on the market it goes for 300€ more or less which is ... sky high for my little wallet
The fact that i have another UWA for FF (the FA-J 18-35, got it for 29€, a steal, like a 12-24 on APS-C, great lens, not fast, but no PF or anything like that. Maybe a little soft, but i don't give a damn !), so pulling 300€ for another one is though

02-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

This is great news. I'm sure they will be working hard to make sure the upcoming FF will be up to snuff with other pro spec cameras. This is also great news for APSC diehards, as the new tech will trickle down into crop bodies.
02-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Thanks for the news, Adam, but except for the bit about multiple prototypes we have heard it all before, haven't we?

The really interesting questions are "When?" and "How much?".

I don't expect to get answers, though, because Pentax wants to sell a K-3 as well and hence won't give away how big the gap between the launches will be, and with respect to the price, I guess Pentax doesn't know either, yet.
02-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Im pleased for all the peeps out there that have been waiting for this, and as a Pentaxian, Im happy to see that hopefully we will now compete against canikon on a more level playing field.
For me personally, I will enjoy my K30, upgrade at some point to a K3 and be a content bunny. Unless of course Pentax also rewrite the laws of physics and produce a weather sealed FF camera the same size as a K5, then I might succumb to gadget lust again.

02-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #23

I'm not much of an expert, but maybe, MAYBE if they have different prototypes, they'll hit different segments of the market? A prosumer body for the FF-hungry crowds (like myself ) and something, that could compete with e.g. D800/5Dmk3? What do you think?
02-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

This is really great news if it comes to pass. I will hope there will be some new full frame lenses coming. I will most likely start building a collection of new FF lends to go with my 3 Limited lenses and two DFA lenses.

Question is the new FF camera going to be spec to go against the D800 or the D600 .

I will most likely just be buying FF lenses and wait a while before buying the body. I might be more interested in an aps-c camera above the K-5 ii.

Dave
02-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Cool! It would be awesome if they showed some.. concept art and prototypes
02-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can bet it will be different somehow. As Asahiflex posited, interchangeable viewfinders?
02-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As Asahiflex posited, interchangeable viewfinders?
rise the question of the location of the on-board flash (if there is one).

But with ainterchangeable VF and thus the offering of a waist level, this could beome THE FF for landscaper
02-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
interchangeable viewfinders?
I hope so! Or, at least, an amazing viewfinder... because that's all I really want from the FF. I would accept any extra bulk, and a reasonable price increase, if it were for the viewfinder.
A more realistic wish - please, Pentax, make it nice also for glass wearers (I have astigmatism so the built-in diopter doesn't help).

Siekierus_pl: no, starting with more than one camera would be too much for them; it's about which camera should they start with.

aurele, the default viewfinder could have a hotshoe and a built-in flash
02-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Well I think one of the reason why Pentax is reluctant to say out loud that they are developing FF body and lens is that people are less likely to splash out on APS-C bodies and lenses if they know for sure FF is coming...
02-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I'm sure there would be "Pentax FF for $1500" wet wishes aka "rumors", as they were for D600.