Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just a few hours ago we interviewed Pentax at CP+. This was the first question:

The interview audio is still in the process of being translated, but based on the rough translation that I have received, it seems that Pentax replied by confirming to us that a full-frame is something that the company will be making in the future, and that they already have multiple prototypes in the works. So there you have it: it's no longer a question of if, but rather a question of when. And I think you can guess a reasonable time frame for a latter Stay tuned for a homepage post + video tomorrow with the full details.

Again, this is based on a rough translation. The transcript and video, to be posted tomorrow, should confirm it for sure.
To late....looking at Canon all ready. Pentax has spent most of its time on DA lenses and ignored FA for to long even if they finally release a FF. Used Pentax for 30+ years......sad

02-03-2013, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by birdman59 Quote
Too late. They waited waaaaaay too long!
For me that is the case sadly!

Thing is too, what is the new lens line-up going to look like for it? The limiteds are amazing, and I would absolutely love to use my 43mm on it, but if the generally frugal Pentax users think prices are high now, the used lens market will skyrocket if a FF body comes out. Pricing for used/no longer made film era lenses (not talking the limiteds here) are already pretty high, and availability is also relatively scarce, and that is with people using them only on aps-c. Any FF buyers/upgraders will immediately begin seeking out those scarce lenses.

Also, without it even being announced there have already been a few posts in here about waiting for the body price to come down before they buy - until that sort of mentality is gone the FF body is going to be a tough sell for Pentax. Then you get into 3rd party support, which already isn't stellar and would likely be another couple of years before K mount releases of existing sigma and tamron lenses (mainly sigma I guess), not to mention tokina's very well reviewed Fx lenses.

I wish it would have come sooner, or at least be announced, officially, from the start. I absolutely love my remaining Pentax lenses and will never part with them, but with the exception of my 43mm there is no draw with the 15mm or 50-135mm to FF for me.

With all of that said I can't believe the posts in here hoping that a FF Pentax body would be able to compete with canikon spec-wise - Pentax makes amazingly user friendly pro-spec'd bodies already - the control they already offer in the K-5/ii/iis is very well thought out and easy to grow accustomed to, there is no reason to expect that a FF body would be any less (and likely quite better), and spec'd above the competitors in the price range Pentax chooses to compete.

I assume Pentax will make a body as robust as the K-5 build (likely slightly larger - a throwback to the k10/20 I would absolutely love to see, but I always loved that build and it was probably larger than necessary), and that they will be able to tweak whatever sensor they use to a greater extent than Nikon or Sony (Pentax always pulls the most out of a given sensor, that is pretty much a given in my mind). Great body, great sensor and pair it with some of the goodies that the other manufacturers are using such as gps, wifi (think tethered phone/tablet apps) - some people will frown upon that stuff, but it needs to be in there to compete. price it competitively around the d600 and 6d and Pentax will have a winner, no question.
02-03-2013, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Full Frame Pentax Concept VS Pentax K-5

***Just a simple and basic concept of mine how a Full Frame Pentax would look like if based from K-5***

Specifications:
- 36x24mm Sensor
- Bigger "head" to house a bigger pentaprism and viewfinder
- 3.2 inch LCD Screen
- Bring back dedicated DOF Preview Button in front of camera (better than using the power switch to preview DOF)
- Bring back the lever inside the mount where it detects the F value when using lens with aperture ring (like what Nikon is still doing)
(the photoshoped mount here came from Pentax Z-1p)
- Added dedicated movie button

Last edited by richard balonglong; 02-03-2013 at 10:11 AM.
02-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adding back the aperture control level would be a sensible move on a FF camera for Pentax.

02-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Thing is too, what is the new lens line-up going to look like for it? The limiteds are amazing, and I would absolutely love to use my 43mm on it, but if the generally frugal Pentax users think prices are high now, the used lens market will skyrocket if a FF body comes out. Pricing for used/no longer made film era lenses (not talking the limiteds here) are already pretty high, and availability is also relatively scarce, and that is with people using them only on aps-c. Any FF buyers/upgraders will immediately begin seeking out those scarce lenses.
i think it is pretty high because people might though that Pentax was on the move since Ricoh Takeover.

i did buy some lens in this perspective (Fa-J 18-35 / DA*55 /F70-210).

They will probably release a bunch of other DA plastic fantastic, and realase a bunch of DFA lens (at least 28mm, 85mm). a bunch of zoom too, because that's what's miss the most.

i don't expect it to be under 2.000$/€ body only for launch.
02-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax often releases products that leave us scratching our heads first, then embracing and buying. So the new full frame will be a K-01 mirrorless with a bigger sensor stuffed inside (look inside a K-01, there's room).

Retail will be $499 for the first FF camera to be not only under $1000 but under $500. They did the test marketing already with the K-01...at $700 it flopped, but at $300 thousands of naysayers decided to give it a try even though we didn't want the style, mirrorless design, no viewfinder etc. We also found that such a mirrorless camera isn't so bad so now as a buying group we are ripe for such a FF product.

Though nobody squabbling for FF would ask for a mirrorless model...at $500 every one of us would buy at least one.

To make money on it, there would be an optional viewfinder for over $300 and a grip for another $300. Dedicated flash for another $300, GPS/startracker for $300, silly leather case for $300--oh wait, they already have that...Point here is they sell a FF body for dirt cheap and little profit, then answer for the options folks want at high profit margin to make the product line profitable. Look at printers...practically given away in the marketplace so companies can revenue off the ink. I foresee a dirt cheap FF with corporate profits coming from subsequent accessory sales. And sorry everyone...all FF lens prices will be increased so Pentax can profit from lenses to marry with the elcheapo body.

Forgot to mention, this will be coming out in 6 years after we've all forgotten about the K-01
02-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is really great news!
Once it is available, I will definitely get one. With the exception of the DA* 16-50 all my lenses are FF ready.

02-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WHile this is nice, the thing that captured my attention with a Nikon FF was the lenses. The 14-24 is supposed to be to die for, in fact at onetime I considered getting the Nikon with a 14-24 and nothing else for use in landscapes. They have 12-200 covered in top of the line zooms. Pentax has? What? No 70-200 2.8, for any format,forget about FF. I'm waiting to see how this plays out.. but I'm going to carry an FF for landscape, there is going to be good lens choices from 12-45. I will always be APS-c for telephotos, so I'd still like that 24 or 30 Mp APS-c. And right now Pentax needs to be a little stronger in WA to be attractive in FF.

The 31 will be awesome, and I have an FA 50 1.7, but a lot of my shots are taken with the 10-17, so bare minimum, I want a 14-24 top quality zoom and a good prime in that range. I have lots of old glass, (FA 35-80, F 70-210, FA 50, 1.7), but no FA*s that would make this a worthwhile purchase. So long story short, even if they make one, there's no saying I'll buy it. Most of my money is a APS-c only glass.

Last edited by normhead; 02-03-2013 at 10:22 AM.
02-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
WHile this is nice, the thing that captured my attention with a Nikon FF was the lenses. The 12-24 is supposed to be to die for, in fact at onetime I considered getting the Nikon with a 12-24 and nothing else for use in landscapes. They have 12-200 covered in top of the line zooms. Pentax has? What? No 70-200 2.8, for any format,forget about FF. I'm waiting to see how this plays out.. but I'm going to carry an FF for landscape, there is going to be good lens choices from 12-45. I will always be APS-c for telephotos, so I'd still like that 24 or 30 Mp APS-c. And right now Pentax needs to be a little stronger in WA to be attractive in FF.

The 31 will be awesome, and I have an FA 50 1.7, but a lot of my shots are taken with the 10-17, so bare minimum, I want a 14-24 top quality zoom and a good prime in that range. I have lots of old glass, (FA 35-80, F 70-210, FA 50, 1.7), but no FA*s that would make this a worthwhile purchase. So long story short, even if they make one, there's no saying I'll buy it. Most of my money is a APS-c only glass.
Did you mean the 14-24mm? the 12-24mm is a Dx lens! I don't have the 14-24mm, but it sure does stand head and shoulders above pretty much anything else (without price being considered....which was why I have a tokina 16-28mm in my bag - it at least gets a peek over the remaining comparable lens' heads, haha). I do know one (or at least one, many faced) company that will have a boost in sales if a Pentax FF camera comes out - the samyang/rokinon/bower/opteka/vivitar int'l conglomerate. I have the rokinon 35mm f1.4 and it is a very nice lens for the price of entry. For a good while there will be a non-limited trio worth considering, and at 1/3-1/2 the cost - 14mm/35mm/85mm rokinons!
02-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #70

After hearing this and the Tokina lens collaboration news, maybe it really is a go. I hope so.
02-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #71
Veteran Member

While I think FF is necessary to grow the brand, I am not sure that I would buy it. If I did, it would probably be a landscape/tripod camera. Even carrying the K-5 around all day can get old. I wouldn't want to carry something the size of a D600 with a 24-70 f2.8 around my neck while sightseeing.
That being said, I am 1 lens away from my personal ideal FF kit...already have the K28mm f2.0 and the A50mm f1.7, all I would want is a 14mm prime
02-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SHVLHEAD88 Quote
After hearing this and the Tokina lens collaboration news, maybe it really is a go. I hope so.
Wasn't that a speculation thread?
02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #73

I guess everything is speculation until we see it for sale.
02-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I wouldn't want to carry something the size of a D600 with a 24-70 f2.8 around my neck while sightseeing.
You wouldn't have to - If weight is your concern, the option of the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G ED VR is there. It's far from a 'kit' lens and is also very light - just read the glowing reviews on it... I was floored at the IQ of the copy I got.

At any rate, I am very happy w/the news of a FF Pentax release. As somebody who recently 'expanded' upon their photography gear, I'll be sure to keep tabs on how things move forward - Now we all get to play the waiting game.
02-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just a few hours ago we interviewed Pentax at CP+. This was the first question:

The interview audio is still in the process of being translated, but based on the rough translation that I have received, it seems that Pentax replied by confirming to us that a full-frame is something that the company will be making in the future, and that they already have multiple prototypes in the works. So there you have it: it's no longer a question of if, but rather a question of when. And I think you can guess a reasonable time frame for a latter Stay tuned for a homepage post + video tomorrow with the full details.

Again, this is based on a rough translation. The transcript and video, to be posted tomorrow, should confirm it for sure.
The good news , exciting