Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
What's the model name(s)? What are the specs? What's the release date? How about pricing?

How is this more than a rumor?
What does that have to do with your obligation to prove your own claim, i.e. that Pentax were basically promising FF "every damn year"?
OTOH, I never said there is something like an official announcement (silly rumors and jokes can be ignored, and I will); but only recently Pentax (re)started talking about FF.
And such kind of talks, interviews with Pentax officials, are not rumors (even if people can make rumors out of them, out of anything actually).

02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #182
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I have no doubt that Ricoh has a plan...but I think whatever their plan is, it is coming off as very confusing to the Pentax consumers..
It's strange plan to stop upgrading Ricoh cameras for a long time...

Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 - Feb, 2, 2012
GR Digital IV - Sep 15, 2011
CX6 - Nov 15, 2011 (by the way, CX5 is Jan 26, 2011)
Ricoh M-mount GXR Mount A12 module - Aug 5, 2011
Ricoh PX - Jun 9, 2011

Today is February, 5, 2013.

I can understand that PX line is stopped forever...But CX, GRD and GXR???
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Lol, they do it every day of the week with precious little of either. They probably did it five times a day before the crash of 2007/2008 which was partly the result of such behaviour. The Dotcom crash a few years earlier most definitely was. Just open the papers. Naturally, I doubt any of this applies to Ricoh but having enough of a stake to feel some pain if you lose it still applies.
I did say "serious" business, not a bunch of cashed-up half-educated techies on speed, who thought their knowledge of electronics rendered the laws of the universe irrelevant, nor a fast-talking bunch of con-men intent on bleeding the life savings out of widows and retired public servants.
02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I did say "serious" business, not a bunch of cashed-up half-educated techies on speed, who thought their knowledge of electronics rendered the laws of the universe irrelevant, nor a fast-talking bunch of con-men intent on bleeding the life savings out of widows and retired public servants.
Ricoh is a serious business. Did mecrox know about the Thai floods in advance?

02-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The key variable [...]
Thx for the analysis! Though rather disappointing with respect to the development of Pentax....
02-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
But if you use that DA*300, will the camera reconise its a DA and then like Nikon automaticly crop it ?
Only if you want it to. I have my D600 set to NOT crop DX lenses. It's a bit moot as I don't have any DX lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by french_mike Quote
What about the new 560mm, its a DA too, DA mean made for APS-C only ...
It's not quite so cut-and-dry. The DA primes above 40mm are all described as APS-C only by Pentax but are 36x24 in practice.
02-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's strange plan to stop upgrading Ricoh cameras for a long time...
It is indeed strange for the company that took over to have their operations disrupted to a higher degree, than the company which was bought. But that makes me even more confident in Pentax' future

monochrome, as usual a well-thought post. But it's late here, and my brain is already on the "come on, I've worked hard today - give me a break!" mode; are you relating PRIAC to success and failure on a local (US), or global market? Are you saying they won't do it unless success is guarantee, on every major market?
I expect no explosive marketing/product strategy approach, Ricoh's situation and the global economy won't allow it. I'm impatiently waiting for information, but I'll excuse them for not having new products fast.

02-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kunzite: As DigiCam companies go Pentax was larger than Ricoh, so, as we recall, the Ricoh camera assets and employees were transferred to Pentax, fomring Pentax Ricoh Imaging Co, Ltd.. That's just smart business.

I'm saying that the US is in such disarray (relative to the other developed markets) that fixing the US is necessary to achieve the kind of volume Pentax needs to compete well. Success fixing PRIAC is the key variable globally if Pentax is to be more than a Japan-centric, consumer, colored camera company. Anf fixing the US is so expensive (doable, but very expensive) that PRIC Ltd. hasn't authorized the business plan yet.
02-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #189
Veteran Member

Ricoh is a serious business. Did mecrox know about the Thai floods in advance?
Your faith in corporations is gentlemanly, but after the past ten years I don't have much faith in them as a breed. I start by assuming they are lying and judge them by results. Call me a ferrety journalist type but that's how I see it. The Thai floods have nothing to do with whether Ricoh's plan for Pentax took sufficient account of the cost of rebuilding the company which in a previous post you suggest it did not. As for the tech biz mentioned by RobA_Oz, I was thinking of HP and Autonomy. Not long ago plenty of folks said that HP was a serious business full of sober types with college ties. Now HP is apparently serious about writing off many billions.

As it happens I like Ricoh and may well try a small investment in them. They've started advertising on the London Underground system, for example, which is quite feisty of them in the present economic climate. They're using some of the same themes they have on their websites ("Documents are ideas", etc). They mean to go places and aren't afraid to say so. However, the core point for me is that Pentax is so small. It is very easy for small units to get trampled, even if unintentionally, in a big corporation.

It's very easy to hear what one wants to hear or hear what they think one wants to hear. I'm not entirely convinced by Pentax's change of tune, either. Last year they said FF was some way off. This year they say it is still some way off but for different reasons. The end result is the same. If they can't see profits coming out of any FF plan, which may well be the case, better to nix it and move on.

Last edited by mecrox; 02-04-2013 at 11:51 AM.
02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #190
Pentaxian

Huh???
Huh what? I thought that was obvious, that after the fall of the dollar and the raise of the yen, the Japanese camera companies have had a hard time making money on the US market? Correct me if I'm wrong.
02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What does that have to do with your obligation to prove your own claim, i.e. that Pentax were basically promising FF "every damn year"?
OTOH, I never said there is something like an official announcement (silly rumors and jokes can be ignored, and I will); but only recently Pentax (re)started talking about FF.
And such kind of talks, interviews with Pentax officials, are not rumors (even if people can make rumors out of them, out of anything actually).
I actually never said that Pentax promised FF every year. I specifically said that they DIDN'T promise FF, just fueled rumors. Key difference. And the self evident fact is that if Pentax didn't want rumors out there before now from it's proxies or employees they've had the simple expedient of officially saying
a) 'Nope, sticking with APS-C until further notice. We'll let you know. Thanks.'
or
b) 'Aw yeah, FF all day evee day buoyeee! Peep dis prototype.' Sorry, it amuses me to imagine the head of Pentax speaking in a Flava Flav voice.

So we'll do this dance. Again. Months of threads, parsing and re-parsing precious little actual data, a handful of purchasers hold off on making a move, waiting to see. Which is the point. It's a delaying tactic. Oh, eventually, they'll release something, because they won't have an option, and all of the faithful will say "You see? We told you so!" But right now, today, I'd bet a pretty hefty amount of money that nothing approaching a prototype product exists, nor will it exist, for a significant period of time.

Gentleman's wager on seeing any official proof of a Pentax FF body in the 2013 calender year? Loser puts '[Winner's handle] is always right.' in their signature for a year.
02-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Your faith in corporations is gentlemanly, but after the past ten years I don't have much faith in them as a breed. I start by assuming they are lying and judge them by results. Call me a ferrety journalist type but that's how I see it. The Thai floods have nothing to do with whether Ricoh's plan for Pentax took sufficient account of the cost of rebuilding the company which in a previous post you suggest it did not. As for the tech biz mentioned by RobA_Oz, I was thinking of HP and Autonomy. Not long ago plenty of folks said that HP was a serious business full of sober types with college ties. Now HP is apparently serious about writing off many billions.
HP stopped being a serious company when they gave up trying to make a real computer based on Microsoft's dog's breakfast of an OS, and started to try competing at the lower end of the market. Their instrumentation business was almost without peer for a long time, but they didn't have an answer when digital systems based on PCs started to encroach on that territory. Now, they look like a zombie company with an honourable history and a market that neither knows nor cares about their provenance, because it's no longer relevant to what they do.

A serious company makes money from what they do best, and plans to keep on doing that. The others make money any way they can before the directors and CEOs move on to the next victim.
02-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That whole weak Dollar strong Yen thing has received way to much exposure - and the speakers never say over what time frame, never say when the trend should reverse and never get called on the carpet when they are just plain wrong (not saying YOU are wrong here, just saying the media never closes a loop).
  • Now if you are counting since July, 2000 - sure, it is down 35%. But that's ancient history.
  • The dollar has been in a rising channel (higher highs, higher lows) versus the Yen since June, 2008.
  • Since last year the Dollar is up versus the Yen - up 15%.
  • If you are counting since last month the Dollar is down 1.35%.
And Ricoh has hedged their currency exposure versus the $ and the Euro, so the vaunted "Dollar Challenge" hasn't been an earnings or marketing issue.
02-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #194
Pentaxian

That whole weak Dollar strong Yen thing has received way to much exposure - and the speakers never say over what time frame, never say when the trend should reverse and never get called on the carpet when they are just plain wrong (not saying YOU are wrong here, just saying the media never closes a loop).
I observed that in a couple of years before the crazy price hike in the US, Pentax lens prices were waaay lower in the US than in Europe or Japan. They obviously priced themselves out of the market with that sudden price hike - but were they selling with loss before that?
02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unclear whether they were selling at a loss just to maintain volume - but what WAS clear - US was taking sales away from EU, Canada and lots of distributors e.g. Aus. and Indonesia, where there weren't so many large internet retailers and Box Stores - and where they paid sales persons a commission. The commission forced them to compete at a disadvantage with B&H and Adorama and Amazon.

Consequently the price arbitrage was closed.