Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
IMHO IBIS saves much more than only one stop.
It depends, but I'll say 1 stop is minimum, while I often get 2 stops.

02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As is usual, this thread has devolved into an argument about the merits of FF.

Oh wait.
02-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #408
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just a few hours ago we interviewed Pentax at CP+. This was the first question:
Plus, he clearly says that development of the FF is advancing, which you can't really argue with. I wonder what gave him such a change of heart since Photokina?
I'd like to say that NO ANY CONFIRMATION of FF.

There is the understanding that FF is modern trend of photo market.
They came to realize that FF is urgent need for Ricoh Pentax...

But it's ALL. It's hard to believe that they really have any working prototype. Tokina's man said that Pentax just asked about negotiations of cooperation.
Only talks. It means that Pentax is at the beginning of the way to 24*36 mm. How long does it get?
It could be 1 year. Or 2, or 3...
02-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As is usual, this thread has devolved into an argument about the merits of FF.
It would devolve into an argument about the merits of Pentax, but we all know Pentax don't have merits

02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #410
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It would devolve into an argument about the merits of Pentax, but we all know Pentax don't have merits
I fogot the smiley. This one actually is a FF thread.
02-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #411

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
This is very good news indeed! But just out of curiosity: What are those features that Pentax has and other brands don't? I own both Canon 5DMKIIand Pentax K5, I don't seem to notice missing any features when I'm shooting with my Canon body. Don't say WR, because anyone can DIY some WR in the form an old filter and plastic baggy in >2 minutes and >$0,50.

Generally, I use the Canon the most because of its superior useability which is caused by the speedy and silent AF. And the ability to mount my FF Pentax glass and use it on its appropriate format, which my Pentax can't even do.

Professionally, I use my NEX the most because of it's highly accurate viewfinder and resulting added level of control. Oh, and it's ability to mount my M-mount glass. It's an ergonomic disaster though.

I keep the K5 around out of nostalgia. And because selling items at only ~15% of the price for I bought it myself is not very interesting.
Several things actually. IQ, Low light, use of legacy lenses, WR, etc. I'm saying that all of these items are absolute. What I am saying is that customer perception ios rock solid while facts change.
I'm not Pentax against the world. I also sell Canon and Sigma. In fact we sell quite a few of the canon Mkii and iii. However, some are making the switch based on their perceiv3d value of Pentax.
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I may have missed it, was there more to this interview than just the two questions?

02-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #413
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbaird Quote
Several things actually. IQ, Low light, use of legacy lenses, WR, etc. I'm saying that all of these items are absolute. What I am saying is that customer perception ios rock solid while facts change.
I'm not Pentax against the world. I also sell Canon and Sigma. In fact we sell quite a few of the canon Mkii and iii. However, some are making the switch based on their perceiv3d value of Pentax.
I'm glad you added the nuance here. Because IQ, low light, use of legacy lenses and WR can all be found in the brands your customers were switching from.

So what pulled those customer towards Pentax... A enthusiastic Pentaxian shop owner?
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #414
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IBIS saves about one full stop. Which is pretty good. But considering the generally slow Pentax glass and considering all the very fast, and cheap but good, glass CaNikon has, it's still not that much of an advantage. It's more like compensation for the slower glass.

Now if Pentax would market some really fast glass again, then it would become interesting.
There is a deploring tone to your references to Pentax, reversing the fanboy attitude you suggest others here have. The modern Pentax lenses were designed for APS-C, and don't forget that Pentax's identity is in being a brand that offers more IQ for less size and weight. The Limited lens range is the prime example if this phenomenon. Nevertheless, Pentax has had an 85/1.4 and 135/1.8 and 300/2.8 and 600/4 in the past, which can be remade into DFA versions. Indeed, what FF offers essentially is an extra stop of 'speed' in existing lenses like the FA Limiteds, along with SR for all the lenses, which is definitely better than 1 stop of effectiveness. And that's good.
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #415
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'd like to say that NO ANY CONFIRMATION of FF.

There is the understanding that FF is modern trend of photo market.
They came to realize that FF is urgent need for Ricoh Pentax...

But it's ALL. It's hard to believe that they really have any working prototype. Tokina's man said that Pentax just asked about negotiations of cooperation.
Only talks. It means that Pentax is at the beginning of the way to 24*36 mm. How long does it get?
It could be 1 year. Or 2, or 3...
Ok, right, you need to post the the same c**p in every thread every 5 posts.
Don't you think we actually got it?

You're entitled to your own opinion. But not the spamming.
02-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #416
Veteran Member

IBIS saves about one full stop. Which is pretty good. But considering the generally slow Pentax glass and considering all the very fast, and cheap but good, glass CaNikon has, it's still not that much of an advantage. It's more like compensation for the slower glass.
1 stop? I can very consistently get perfectly sharp shots (checked at 100%) at 200mm 1/50s, which is 2.6 stops going by the 1/f rule for a 300mm equivalent AOV, and I would hardly consider my hands to be rock steady.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.
02-08-2013, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #417
Pentaxian

This is very good news indeed! But just out of curiosity: What are those features that Pentax has and other brands don't? I own both Canon 5DMKIIand Pentax K5, I don't seem to notice missing any features when I'm shooting with my Canon body. Don't say WR, because anyone can DIY some WR in the form an old filter and plastic baggy in >2 minutes and >$0,50.

Generally, I use the Canon the most because of its superior useability which is caused by the speedy and silent AF. And the ability to mount my FF Pentax glass and use it on its appropriate format, which my Pentax can't even do.

Professionally, I use my NEX the most because of it's highly accurate viewfinder and resulting added level of control. Oh, and it's ability to mount my M-mount glass. It's an ergonomic disaster though.

I keep the K5 around out of nostalgia. And because selling items at only ~15% of the price for I bought it myself is not very interesting.
Wow!
You seemed to be that big fan rallying against a Pentax MILC and EVF just a year ago and now you've switch to Pentax bashing based off a 5DII.

I'll list you the reasons :
1. Poorly thought out Canon interface (both buttons and soft menus)
2. APS-C sensor that is behind since 500D and now still in 7D and 650D
3. Need to pay a lot for more to free up the generational crippling (ie. entry means - less buttons; knocky feeling/sounding plastic body; 5DII still using 5D like AF; 5DIII crippled focusing screen); The stock screen is the worst one for MF ever (needs a EG-S; EE-S to get it to be real good)
4. Pentax lenses trade off some speed for size. Canon lenses are big. (not everything is about fastest aperture)
5. Knocky plastic fantastics from Canon - yes, get the job done, but poor build, wide distribution of lens performance (figures to keep yields up/ costs down); poorer T-stop
6. Poorer DR on 5D/5DII compared to even a K30.

Yes, there are things going for it.
Some nice lenses (and every brand has some)
FF body that takes a myriad of other lenses.
But, I won't come in here blowing the big trumpet that is far better than Pentax.

(coming from a user who uses a number of systems/formats including Canon)
02-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #418
Veteran Member

I have been following this thread with great interest. I bought into FF with a Nikon D3 some years ago, but I rarely carried it far because of its weight and bulk. Now I have a D800, which though smaller and lighter, is still heavy, particularly when carried about with a few lenses. I had been a long-time Pentax user, but replaced my *ist D with a Nikon D200, and sort of lost track with Pentax for a while. I returned to the fold when the K-7 came out, which offered greater portability - and I still had quite a few K mount lenses. I absolutely love my K-5 and have recently added the DA* 60-250, DA* 300, DA 15mm Limited and FA 31mm Limited to my stable of lenses. The upshot of all this is, if and when Pentax bring out a FF DSLR, I suspect I will be an early adopter and, if its IQ is as good as I suspect it will be, I shall have not a lot of further use for my D800.
02-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #419
Veteran Member

Cynog Ap Brychan, I think quite a few fellow photographers over the last years have found out like you that there are better options to carry around than FF DSLRs. However, while an APS-C camera is smaller and especially some prime lenses can be small and light-weight, I'm not sure even that is portable enough. Many have ended up carrying m43 gear and only using DSLRs when they really, really, really need to.
02-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #420
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
The upshot of all this is, if and when Pentax bring out a FF DSLR, I suspect I will be an early adopter and, if its IQ is as good as I suspect it will be, I shall have not a lot of further use for my D800.
On what do you base your assumption that the Pentax FF DSLR will have better IQ then the D800? We don't have any details whatsoever.