Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Mike Svitek Quotes

QuoteQuote:

Mike Svitek2 months ago

I'm testing one of the prototypes: 3 different configurations exist. The one I currently have has the same sensor as the D600/A99 ... There is another model which has the same sensor as the D4 (much more expensive as a final product)... so far I'm loving it. Too bad I have to keep it taped up whenever I have it outside though.
ISO goes to 102,400 and is clean up to 12,800 (I mean, perfectly clean) Burst is still 7fps. Body is heavier than my K-5 IIs but is the same size (just heavier because of the larger mirror/prism. SR works like a dream, and the new features they are trying to implement... wow! (Bugs still have to be worked out with some of them... most of them...)

QuoteQuote:

PhotoRumors Admin a month ago

Can you send me a picture of the camera?

Mike Svitek PhotoRumors 10 days ago

Not allowed... But I'll ask if I can. (I'll find a way around the NDA they had me sign.)
Meanwhile: It doesn't mention the lens at all, 24-120mm f/4 ED [IF] DC WR ... Focus is still slow, but actually pretty damn awesome piece of glass. Its not ultra-sharp at f/4, and it's still not completely sealed in like the Nikkor 70-200 where not even zooming the lens will change its length, but I like it... I'd prefer it to be lighter though, as it kind of makes the body front-heavy... Would also be nice to include a tripod. I'll post some photos taken with it, just don't be disappointed (I was... Still sticking with my FA limiteds for now)
And one last thing: Battery grip boosts FPS. Just found that out last night. Goes up to 9fps

QuoteQuote:

Mike Svitek david2 months ago

Regular DA lenses are all compatible with full-frame cameras. I use the 50-200mm f/4-5.6 on film SLRs and there is no major vignetting (unlike DX over FX) The corners and edges aren't perfectly sharp, but that's all.

QuoteQuote:

Testing the Pentax K-3 ... ISO25600 sample blew me away! pic.twitter.com/6N5if5lOQJ
QuoteQuote:

Testing out the new Pentax K-# HDSLR [ WINK WINK... NUDGE NUDGE ] with the Pentax 77mm Limited Prime lens ... 1/500s f/11 ISO25600 Custom WB
Contrast has been increased and image was cropped+downsized in DarkTable.

Now that all the formalities are out of the way... I love the tones, the dynamic range is amazing, and the resolution (while being too high for my taste) has its advantages when clearing up some noise. With the combo of the new sensor and processor, there is very little noise to clean up in the first place. It only starts showing up visibly at around ISO6400 (becoming obvious here at 25,600 and pretty bad at the extended range of 102,400) ... As I already stated, this camera sits between its competitors with the D800 and the D4 or the 5D Mrk.3 and the 1DX ... Somewhere between the two classes of each manufacturer.
Sadly, I have to give it back tomorrow... It was a fun ride while it lasted...Collapse this post

More photos from Mike Svitek
QuoteQuote:

Pentax confirmed that I'll get to test out their new 55-300mm WR ... So excited! I love the regular 55-300 so the WR version ought to be AWESOME!
QuoteQuote:

Weekend shooting list:
K-5 IIs + DA* 50-135mm f/2.8
K20D + BG2 Grip + DA* 16-50mm f/2.8
K-3 + DAX 24-120mm f/4
QuoteQuote:

+Petrov Vodkin Lens is grate, but not astounding. I like using the limited primes a lot more, but this lens is grate as an all-round lens (Equiv. of a 16-80mm in APS-C) ... its a grate lens though, sharp, well sealed... Reminds me of the 18-135mm.
The K-3 is slightly larger than the K20D to accommodate the larger mirror box. The dimentions only increased though, so its still the same layout, just grew slightly.

03-23-2013, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought the Pentax Forums site was a dedicated FF forum!

Godwin's Law (for Pentax): As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of an APS-C versus FF debate approaches 1.
03-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I'm confused (as usual? ) - Pentax like everyone in this game must have non-disclosures in place, and suddenly here's a blog with casual references to a FF-sensor body (with variants), a 55-300WR, and other items that would be dreams come true? Does Pentax love or hate this guy now?
03-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I thought the Pentax Forums site was a dedicated FF forum!

Godwin's Law (for Pentax): As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of an APS-C versus FF debate approaches 1.
LOL.. for film cameras.

03-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'm confused (as usual? ) - Pentax like everyone in this game must have non-disclosures in place, and suddenly here's a blog with casual references to a FF-sensor body (with variants), a 55-300WR, and other items that would be dreams come true? Does Pentax love or hate this guy now?
He says he signed one.

QuoteQuote:
Not allowed... But I'll ask if I can. (I'll find a way around the NDA they had me sign.)
03-23-2013, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Mike Svitek Quotes

Quote:

Mike Svitek • 2 months ago

I'm testing one of the prototypes: 3 different configurations exist. The one I currently have has the same sensor as the D600/A99 ... There is another model which has the same sensor as the D4 (much more expensive as a final product)... so far I'm loving it. Too bad I have to keep it taped up whenever I have it outside though.
ISO goes to 102,400 and is clean up to 12,800 (I mean, perfectly clean) Burst is still 7fps. Body is heavier than my K-5 IIs but is the same size (just heavier because of the larger mirror/prism. SR works like a dream, and the new features they are trying to implement... wow! (Bugs still have to be worked out with some of them... most of them...)

Quote:

PhotoRumors Admin a month ago

Can you send me a picture of the camera?

Mike Svitek PhotoRumors • 10 days ago

Meanwhile: It doesn't mention the lens at all, 24-120mm f/4 ED [IF] DC WR ... Focus is still slow, but actually pretty damn awesome piece of glass. Its not ultra-sharp at f/4, and it's still not completely sealed in like the Nikkor 70-200 where not even zooming the lens will change its length, but I like it... I'd prefer it to be lighter though, as it kind of makes the body front-heavy... Would also be nice to include a tripod. I'll post some photos taken with it, just don't be disappointed (I was... Still sticking with my FA limiteds for now)
And one last thing: Battery grip boosts FPS. Just found that out last night. Goes up to 9fps

Quote:

Mike Svitek david • 2 months ago

Regular DA lenses are all compatible with full-frame cameras. I use the 50-200mm f/4-5.6 on film SLRs and there is no major vignetting (unlike DX over FX) The corners and edges aren't perfectly sharp, but that's all.

Quote:

Testing the Pentax K-3 ... ISO25600 sample blew me away! pic.twitter.com/6N5if5lOQJ
Quote:

Testing out the new Pentax K-# HDSLR [ WINK WINK... NUDGE NUDGE ] with the Pentax 77mm Limited Prime lens ... 1/500s f/11 ISO25600 Custom WB
Contrast has been increased and image was cropped+downsized in DarkTable.

Now that all the formalities are out of the way... I love the tones, the dynamic range is amazing, and the resolution (while being too high for my taste) has its advantages when clearing up some noise. With the combo of the new sensor and processor, there is very little noise to clean up in the first place. It only starts showing up visibly at around ISO6400 (becoming obvious here at 25,600 and pretty bad at the extended range of 102,400) ... As I already stated, this camera sits between its competitors with the D800 and the D4 or the 5D Mrk.3 and the 1DX ... Somewhere between the two classes of each manufacturer.
Sadly, I have to give it back tomorrow... It was a fun ride while it lasted...Collapse this post

More photos from Mike Svitek
Quote:

Pentax confirmed that I'll get to test out their new 55-300mm WR ... So excited! I love the regular 55-300 so the WR version ought to be AWESOME!
Quote:

Weekend shooting list:
K-5 IIs + DA* 50-135mm f/2.8
K20D + BG2 Grip + DA* 16-50mm f/2.8
K-3 + DAX 24-120mm f/4
Quote:

+Petrov Vodkin Lens is grate, but not astounding. I like using the limited primes a lot more, but this lens is grate as an all-round lens (Equiv. of a 16-80mm in APS-C) ... its a grate lens though, sharp, well sealed... Reminds me of the 18-135mm.
The K-3 is slightly larger than the K20D to accommodate the larger mirror box. The dimentions only increased though, so its still the same layout, just grew slightly.
This sounds like the least convincing attempt at faking a product test I've ever seen. He says regular DA lenses are all compatible with the FF sensor. Have fun trying that on with the 16-50 :P

No doubt the inevitable FF will be awesome when it arrives.
03-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Note that if it is not fake, it is a prototype, not a pre-production model. Final specifications does not seem to be frozen, as he mention another model with another sensor, and features they try to implement... Official release may take some time...

03-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
DAX 24-120mm f/4
I'm putting in my pre-order now! A very useful event zoom, potentially.

Looks like a direct competitor for the Canon 24-105 EF f/4L or the Nikon AF-S 24-120mm f/4G. Hopefully it will be reasonably decent optically too.
03-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

This doesn't mean that anything FF is remotely on its way to market... At the very least it's just one of several prototypes given to a select few to gain feedback on several designs/configurations, which is a sensible move for any manufacturer and has probably happened several times over the last few years already...
03-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Full frame is inevitable. The cost of a full frame sensor has come down to be cheap enough that the cost 2 yrs ago of a flagship APS-C is now the same cost as the entry level FF now (more or less).

I would suggest the K-30 class is going to be the aps-c's highest level from now and future cameras above that level will be FF.
03-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Do we get a blurry photo of the Mode dial next? How about a shadowy outline of the body?
I was thinking more along the lines of fuzzy spy shots of a 500mm FF super tele in "Lego" livery.

Steve
03-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was thinking more along the lines of fuzzy spy shots of a 500mm FF super tele in "Lego" livery.

Steve
I had one of those once - but it was the Model A version. All the colors I wanted, as long as they were black.
03-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
This sounds like the least convincing attempt at faking a product test I've ever seen. He says regular DA lenses are all compatible with the FF sensor. Have fun trying that on with the 16-50 :P

No doubt the inevitable FF will be awesome when it arrives.
he says compatible. tells me there is a crop mode.
03-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm almost sure he is a troll.
He now edited the post, but the post said "i wish it had the D4 sensor", and now he says there is a prototype with the D4 sensor...meh.
03-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #30
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A troll with an NDA signed over a camera he's testing for Ricoh? It's such a mixed bag, but if it is the K-3 he's testing we'll have to wait and see when it will be announced. AFAIK, apart from the 645D II, there are no other cameras Pentax has in store for us for a while, and that would mean no APS-C successor to the K-5 II.
Closed Thread