Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sooo...does this mean that Ritz will be featuring Pentax again nationwide?
AFAIK, Ritz is dead...at least in the US. I think it finally did Chap. 7 bankruptcy...

03-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I live int he Washington DC area and do not know if there is a camera dealer with a comprehensive Pentax display like the one shown above. If somebody knows of one in the Washington DC area - please let me know.
Does Ace Photo in Ashburn, Virginia have one?
I've bought stuff from them on-line.
03-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is a nice line-up off Pentax gear.
03-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
So I heard that a store in Portland had Pentax gear (Camera World) so I wanted to get a look at what they were stocking and whether they carried any used lenses. The salesperson who was helping me (he has a k20d) said that he recently saw a Pentax lens in a newly styled box that said something like "full frame compatible." Unfortunately he didn't remember seeing what lens this was on. They had lots of lenses and bodies in stock, but the only one that was full frame compatible that I could see was the DFA 100 wr macro. I have that lens, but I don't recall it saying anything on the box about compatibility with something that doesn't exist yet. And I can't imagine this label would be on any of the other lenses they have in stock (see picture below). Has anyone else seen or heard of this?

To me, if true, this sounds like Pentax is laying the groundwork for differentiating their lenses so people know what lens is compatible with what format. But maybe he saw this on a Tamron box - I don't know, but he seemed like a bright guy.

Anyways, just wanted to throw this out there and throw some fuel on the fire as if any more flare ups were needed

Here's a picture of the lenses and bodies they had:
While it is nice to see a display of Pentax gear, those lens prices are insane.

03-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Insane, but cheaper than Oz. Add $50 to $100 to get an idea of cheapest Oz prices.
03-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
AFAIK, Ritz is dead...at least in the US. I think it finally did Chap. 7 bankruptcy...
I updated my post. I don't know the status of Ritz, but I do know that Camera World changed ownership from Ritz several months ago.

Steve
03-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #22

bah.... this almost made me cry, eevn though i can't affor the most cheap lens from pentax, there just isn't a store in my country that carries pentax material so i can go there and kindly ask to test it on my k20d, the only store that has pentax material is Media Markt (german company i believe) and they had the k5 (and this was in christmas) and kit lens, nothing else...

i was like "i have my lens here, can i try?"

the guy at the store was like, nope, there's no batery in the camera and i can't put one it...
but at least i got to hold a k5, i never had done that before!

there's not oficial pentax here in portugal, nearest place is in spain.
03-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Insane, but cheaper than Oz. Add $50 to $100 to get an idea of cheapest Oz prices.
Don't forget that any sales tax will be added to those prices while Oz prices already include it.

03-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Don't forget that any sales tax will be added to those prices while Oz prices already include it.
No sales tax in the state of Oregon. WYSIWYG
03-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
While it is nice to see a display of Pentax gear, those lens prices are insane.
I think those prices are the "Minimum Advertized Pricing" that their dealers have to agree to. They did say that they would try to match the pricing from major authorized online vendors - when I'm ready for my next lens purchase, I think I'll put this to the test and see how competitive they want to be. Just not sure what I want next...
03-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for posting this photo of the display at Camera World. I too had heard that they were stocking Pentax and I am blown away by how well they are stocking Pentax!

Steve
Yeah, I was expecting a few bodies and some lenses, but this was amazing! The sales guy was saying he thought that Pentax may be sending a q10 display with a 100 different colors... At the very least, it would get some attention for Pentax.

I didn't see any limiteds though which I think is where Pentax really shines and differentiates itself from Canon and Nikon. Maybe with enough support, that will change.
03-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I hope Pentax makes a comeback for strong 3rd! Sigma hasn't count them out yet.
03-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote
bah.... this almost made me cry, eevn though i can't affor the most cheap lens from pentax, there just isn't a store in my country that carries pentax material so i can go there and kindly ask to test it on my k20d, the only store that has pentax material is Media Markt (german company i believe) and they had the k5 (and this was in christmas) and kit lens, nothing else...

i was like "i have my lens here, can i try?"

the guy at the store was like, nope, there's no batery in the camera and i can't put one it...
but at least i got to hold a k5, i never had done that before!

there's not oficial pentax here in portugal, nearest place is in spain.
I know that feel, bro. I live in Chile! Nearest store I think is in US, Mexico or the moon.
03-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

The UK basically doesn't have camera stores anymore. There are a handful on independents in London and the chain LCE but basically nowhere that stocks extensive ranges of any brand - Gray's of Westminster for Nikon and SRS for Pentax being perhaps the two exceptions.
03-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Warpig Quote
I know that feel, bro. I live in Chile! Nearest store I think is in US, Mexico or the moon.

damn, and these guys talk about how hard it is to use pentax...!