Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

No FF, but...

Well, we didn't get the Full Frame that so many Pentax pros have been begging for but. . . We did get a sweet "Crystal" bordeaux k-30! That's almost the same thing, right?
I think I'm finally over you Pentax. It was fun while it lasted.

04-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentee Quote
That's almost the same thing, right
You could try that approach with the other guys, good luck with that.
04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentee Quote
We did get a sweet "Crystal" bordeaux k-30!
Is that wine-resistant then?
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be fair Pentax never said they were realising a new camera in March...now the ever reliable interwebs guaranteed new cameras (5 was it?)...bit hard to blame Pentax for not delivering on the rumours?
Cheers
Dean

04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It happens all the time
04-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
To be fair Pentax never said they were realising a new camera in March...now the ever reliable interwebs guaranteed new cameras (5 was it?)...bit hard to blame Pentax for not delivering on the rumours?
Cheers
Dean
It's the fact that people keep having to make up stories about Pentax being serious, just to keep appearances. Whilst Pentax themselves just keep delivering toys or different colours. The userbase won't keep fooling themselves this way forever.
04-04-2013, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

If you consider a camera sporting a 16MP APS-C sensor, weather-sealed body made from polycarbonate over a stainless steel chassis, 100% pentaprism viewfinder, in-body stabilization, dual wheel control etc. etc. etc a "toy", just because it's offered in various colors beside the "classic" black...

04-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If you consider a camera sporting a 16MP APS-C sensor, weather-sealed body made from polycarbonate over a stainless steel chassis, 100% pentaprism viewfinder, in-body stabilization, dual wheel control etc. etc. etc a "toy", just because it's offered in various colors beside the "classic" black...
Yes, you're right, lets use the same 2010 camera and sensor forever, only varying the features and colours in tiny amounts.
04-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, you're right, lets use the same 2010 camera and sensor forever, only varying the features and colours in tiny amounts.
In the days of film it was the feature-set of the camera (and the camera system) that differentiated product lines, not the film. The same film was available to all manufacturers and so they had to differentiate themselves in what they did with the hardware. I realize that things have changed but, taking that scenario into account, you have to draw a line in the sand at some point in order to get the entire package right and maybe improve things in other areas. What if Pentax come out with yet another 16MP camera BUT it has incredible noise spec's that leave everything else for dead.. what would your reaction be? I know I'd love to have a camera where noise was not an issue and would prefer it to more and more MP's (I know I have a couple of D800's.. that's not really the point).
04-04-2013, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Is that wine-resistant then?
I think it should be whine-resistent
04-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The K-30 was announced in 2012, it's less than one year old.
But I suppose it's just a K-5, despite its lower price point, a new processor, new body, tweaked AF system and who knows what else was changed. Pentax should really look at Canon and how they manage to make each model truly different than the previous one
04-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
In the days of film it was the feature-set of the camera (and the camera system) that differentiated product lines, not the film. The same film was available to all manufacturers and so they had to differentiate themselves in what they did with the hardware. I realize that things have changed but, taking that scenario into account, you have to draw a line in the sand at some point in order to get the entire package right and maybe improve things in other areas. What if Pentax come out with yet another 16MP camera BUT it has incredible noise spec's that leave everything else for dead.. what would your reaction be? I know I'd love to have a camera where noise was not an issue and would prefer it to more and more MP's (I know I have a couple of D800's.. that's not really the point).
Good point, and 16mp DOES serve me well. However this was more about the format off course.

But yes, I would love a flagship 16mp Pentax with tethering. Or with up-to-date flash support and flashes. Or even just focus peaking. (Which Pentax chose to put in their lower end body, but not in their flagship?!?) But such improvements in features are of a very different league then 9 different new colours and a pinhole lens cap for the Q.

p.s. 1: I think the noise is handled by the Pentax iterations of the Sony 16mp is very good though. Although I would enjoy a focus on better low iso performance though. Like ISO25.

p.s. 2: In the film days, using media from 3rd party was indeed standard. In the same way using lenses from 3rd party manufacturers was very commong. Nowadays though, suggesting that Pentax needs more 3rd party lens support will start a PF riot! Indeed, things have changed a lot.
04-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

But yes, I would love a flagship 16mp Pentax with tethering. Or with up-to-date flash support and flashes. Or even just focus peaking. (Which Pentax chose to put in their lower end body, but not in their flagship?!?) But such improvements in features are of a very different league then 9 different new colours and a pinhole lens cap for the Q.

p.s. 1: I think the noise is handled by the Pentax iterations of the Sony 16mp is very good though. Although I would enjoy a focus on better low iso performance though. Like ISO25.
I agree. It seems that there is greater awareness that more MP is not such a big deal anymore - and it can be detrimental. As just one example, Nikon limited their D4 to 16mp

So Pentax: Stop with the colors already and redesign the flash hardware. I'd be happy if they just ditched PTTL entirely and went back to putting thrysiter(sp) sensors in the flashes. Improve the distance that remote flashes can work at, etc. It seems like there was a time when exposure level with film was all important. With digital, exposure level is not nearly as important due to the post processing that can be done. The one thing that PTTL was good at was getting people to shut their eyes. It isn't just Pentax, I see a lot of complaints about flashes on Sony forums as well. Sony has actually redesigned their odd little flash foot back to the standard flash receiver (with a small difference). Sony still doesn't have a flash out that can take advantage of their new flash foot, but if Sony can rethink flashes and get started over, than so can Pentax.

But its the "little" things that photographers consider important to everyday shooting that would appeal to me. Tethering - sure why not. Remote control using a smart phone - sure, why not. Focus peaking, sure, why not. 2 SD card slots - of course. Why don't manufacturers get this?
04-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Colors are a good idea IMO (for K-30 and below), and most likely not done by the same people who would redesign the flash protocols.
04-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I really like the yellow and wine red colours for the K-30 and I don't see why people are dissing Pentax for this offering. It's a pity they don't offer this for the K-5 series.

Regarding Hi ISO noise: Scaling the picture down somewhat (e.g. 2.5x) causes noise to be greatly reduced and I find that the D800E is particularly useful for this as you still get a decent resolution file. More MP creates options for scaling and cropping so it's not always just about using them all 1:1.