Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I really like the yellow and wine red colours for the K-30 and I don't see why people are dissing Pentax for this offering.
I like that they make them in other colors. I like the K-5 interface, too, they don't have to change a thing about that as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's a bit silly that all Pentax K-mount cameras use the same sensor from 2010, though. I know the takeover left almost nothing in the cupboard.... but at the same time I understand when customers are frustrated that Pentax hasn't brought out anything technically (far) superior* to the K-5 for the past three years.

*OK, K-5IIs people... give me hell.

04-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I think it's a bit silly that all Pentax K-mount cameras use the same sensor from 2010, though. I know the takeover left almost nothing in the cupboard.... but at the same time I understand when customers are frustrated that Pentax hasn't brought out anything technically (far) superior* to the K-5 for the past three years.

*OK, K-5IIs people... give me hell.
You are 100% correct here, in my honest opinion. It's like Volkswagen offering ALL of their models, from their tiny Lupo to their big Touareg, with one and the same 1.6ltr engine. That would suck, no matter how excellent that engine is.

Ok, Pentax is a small company, we can't and don't expect miracles. But SOME variation would have been very nice.
04-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Is it silly to continue using the best APS-C sensor on the market? Really?
04-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Different people want/need different things. YOU might think the Sony 16MP APS-C sensor is the very best there currently is, but someone else might think the Sigma Foveon (just a random example) is much better. To revert back to the car-analogy, some might think the petrol Engine of the Touareg is the very best, but I would find diesel to suit my needs much better. A bit of a waste to keep those customers out of your store, don't you think?

On the other (lower) end of the spectrum, shouldn't there be a much lower tier DSLR with cheaper sensor in the Pentax lineup too? (A K300?) Pentax probably would make much more money on that category then any of their middle and higher tier product lines. (Not to mention getting them hooked on Pentax and seeing those customers back when they upgrade.)

04-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Pentax are a Ricoh company so they are no longer a *small* company, whatever that may actually mean. It would seem that they now have the resources to activate all their old lenses albeit in an updated form and on a full frame camera and the only thing I can think of that is preventing that is the global financial climate and the need for some more time.
04-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Different people want/need different things. YOU might think the Sony 16MP APS-C sensor is the very best there currently is, but someone else might think the Sigma Foveon (just a random example) is much better. To revert back to the car-analogy, some might think the petrol Engine of the Touareg is the very best, but I would find diesel to suit my needs much better. A bit of a waste to keep those customers out of your store, don't you think?

On the other (lower) end of the spectrum, shouldn't there be a much lower tier DSLR with cheaper sensor in the Pentax lineup too? (A K300?) Pentax probably would make much more money on that category then any of their middle and higher tier product lines. (Not to mention getting them hooked on Pentax and seeing those customers back when they upgrade.)
Analogies are dangerous, and rarely relevant
Yes, I believe the Sony 16MP is the best APS-C sensor currently on the market, and the 24MP sensors (Sony and Toshiba), while very good, are not better IMO.
Foveon has some very significant advantages, but also drawbacks (one of them being that it's only available in Sigma cameras).

Yes, I think a cheaper DSLR (but not necessarily with a cheaper sensor) would be a good idea.
04-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes, I think a cheaper DSLR (but not necessarily with a cheaper sensor) would be a good idea.
One of the advantages of having a lower tier range of DSLRs is that it can lock in users that will want to upgrade... But why would they upgrade if the sensor in their lower tier DSLR is the exact same as the ones in both the middle tier and flagship model? Just for the features? Pay for the exact same sensor again, only three times as much, just for the features? That's like buying the EXACT same car as the one you already have, just because you want one with electric windows. (Yes, I do think the analogy applies.)

04-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

My camera shop charged me $300 for an "undercoating". They said it would prevent rust.
04-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

According to DXO, a midlevel Nikon APS-C has a better sensor than Pentax's flagship...which also happens to be an APS-C
04-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
Pentaxian

That's debatable; DXOMark is a synthetic benchmark, and even then the "Nikon" sensors only "wins" because they're 24MP.
The Sony 16MP is a mature product, and pretty much faultless. I don't see - for example - many talks about banding or crosstalk...
04-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm seriously considering a Sigma DP2 Merril right now. The on line tests are extra-ordinary, right up in D800 level, and I've pretty much written the D800e and KIIs off because of false colour. There are also false colour issues with the 24 MP APS-c cameras. As of right now, I'm guessing a DP2 Merrill will give me as close to D800 IQ as I could ever want, for less than the cost of a 31 ltd. And since the 31 was really the only lens I was interested in seeing as an FF lens. I'm wondering. It's pretty well accepted that Pentax tried a 24 MP sensor and couldn't get Pentax IQ out of it, I wonder where else they have to go.

From my comparison, the DP2 leaves the D600 behind. It's finicky and has all kinds of issues, but I can use the K-5 in less than optimum situations. It's a much lighter option than carrying an FF.
04-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm seriously considering a Sigma DP2 Merril right now.
The DP2 as a combo has outstanding sharpness and resolution, but without any data on it from the likes of DxOMark etc, I worry about it's [limited?] dynamic range and colour depth etc relative to other cameras. Might make a difference to stuff like landscape and post-processing.
04-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I find it funny that when the Sony 16 MP sensor was at the top of DxOMark, people wouldn't stop pointing out that fact. Now that the sensor on a mid-level Nikon is beating it, all of a sudden DxOMark isn't that relevant anymore. Suddenly, it's a "synthetic" measure. Essentially what Cannon shooters have been saying for years, while us Pentaxians chuckled smugly.
04-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Pentax will be announcing their 24MP APS-C within the next 6 months... and DxOMark will still do a great job measuring sensors.
04-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I find it funny that when the Sony 16 MP sensor was at the top of DxOMark, people wouldn't stop pointing out that fact. Now that the sensor on a mid-level Nikon is beating it, all of a sudden DxOMark isn't that relevant anymore. Suddenly, it's a "synthetic" measure. Essentially what Cannon shooters have been saying for years, while us Pentaxians chuckled smugly.
For cameras within a couple points of each other, DxO mark was never relevant. My own feeling was that for there to be real difference cameras needed to be separated by 10 points on the DxO mark scale. The K-5 triumvirate still has more than 10 DxO points on 99% of the world's cameras , and is still functionally tied with the mid level Nikons you claim are ahead of them. The same as I didn't say Pentax were better than D7000s, it would be wrong to say D5200s or 7100s are better based on a small difference, and when they don't lead in every category. Tht Dynamci Range thing may be worth more to you than minor differences in ISO rating and colour doth. I fact, the differences between them are so minor, any claims of superiority either way could be dismissed as irrelevant.