Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Pentax Full Frame DSLR?
Yes 15277.95%
No 4322.05%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #166
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 61
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I think it's groundhog's day...
LOL

Groundhog Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never heard of this before...


ElJamoquio: the problem is if i get FF i will need only FF lenses...If i get APS-C i can use a combination of both worlds anyway because they are K-mount unless of course the FF will come with another mount..In this case the FF is ruled out anyway..I did wanted a 2.8 constant but lenses like Sigma 17-50 2.8 or Tamorin 17-50 2.8 are APS-C only from what i know..I suppose the only FF compatible lenses are the limited series that are already too expensive for me..

05-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #167
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
LOL

Groundhog Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never heard of this before...


ElJamoquio: the problem is if i get FF i will need only FF lenses...If i get APS-C i can use a combination of both worlds anyway because they are K-mount unless of course the FF will come with another mount..In this case the FF is ruled out anyway..I did wanted a 2.8 constant but lenses like Sigma 17-50 2.8 or Tamorin 17-50 2.8 are APS-C only from what i know..I suppose the only FF compatible lenses are the limited series that are already too expensive for me..
1) The Sigma and Tamron are APS-C only.

2) It is very likely that a Pentax FF would have a 'crop' mode to use older glass, and many of the DA lenses already cover FF. Things like the 35mm F/2.4, 40mm F/2.8 (XS is cheaper of course) and 50mm F/1.8 are inexpensive 'DA' lenses that will become very, very capable on FF.

3) Why do you want a F/2.8 on APS-C and also an F/2.8 on FF? You're comparing a far more capable lens on FF to a much less capable lens on APS-C. On the other hand there may never be a F/4 or F/4.5 FF zoom for Pentax, so who knows.
05-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #168
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
2) It is very likely that a Pentax FF would have a 'crop' mode to use older glass, and many of the DA lenses already cover FF. Things like the 35mm F/2.4, 40mm F/2.8 (XS is cheaper of course) and 50mm F/1.8 are inexpensive 'DA' lenses that will become very, very capable on FF.
Yes, an FF body essentially has a second APS-C camera inside of it and would presumably have a mode (like the competitors do) that would crop to the APS-C size. (Of course you could also just crop it yourself later.) So any APS-C glass that was not suitable for FF, you could use just as before with approximately the same or more MPs as you get now with a K-5, K-30, or K-01. (Assuming the FF mode would be at least 24MP.)
05-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #169
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
2) It is very likely that a Pentax FF would have a 'crop' mode to use older glass, and many of the DA lenses already cover FF. Things like the 35mm F/2.4, 40mm F/2.8 (XS is cheaper of course) and 50mm F/1.8 are inexpensive 'DA' lenses that will become very, very capable on FF.
I think it's a bit speculative to assume that DA lenses will be 'allowed' to work as FF lenses on the FF body. An auto-crop mode is more likely IMO.

05-11-2013, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
I think it's a bit speculative to assume that DA lenses will be 'allowed' to work as FF lenses on the FF body. An auto-crop mode is more likely IMO.
Auto-crop can be turned off with Nikon, I'm sure we would have the option of turning it off on Pentax also.

In-camera crop modes are relatively cheap to implement and do make things easier. I didn't get why we'd want it at first ("why not just crop in post?") until I started using it - makes things easier in post, increases FPS while shooting and increases # shots on card.

Hopefully Pentax would implement 1.2x and 5:4 ratio crops in addition to aps-c (1.5x). 1.2x crop alone would make virtually every DA lens fully usable.

.
05-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #171
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,930
Not a very big number for who will buy a Pentax FF on this poll.
05-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #172
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
I think it's a bit speculative to assume that DA lenses will be 'allowed' to work as FF lenses on the FF body. An auto-crop mode is more likely IMO.
Maybe. Nikon lets you do either.
05-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #173
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Not a very big number for who will buy a Pentax FF on this poll
The poll has been closed for a while now.
Plus of course there's this poll which I set up, but patronage to it too has been limited, probably by exposure rather than lack of numbers. Either way, there is decent evidence that Pentaxians want a FF camera, and a dSLR one at that.

05-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #174
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 61
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
1) The Sigma and Tamron are APS-C only.

2) It is very likely that a Pentax FF would have a 'crop' mode to use older glass, and many of the DA lenses already cover FF. Things like the 35mm F/2.4, 40mm F/2.8 (XS is cheaper of course) and 50mm F/1.8 are inexpensive 'DA' lenses that will become very, very capable on FF.

3) Why do you want a F/2.8 on APS-C and also an F/2.8 on FF? You're comparing a far more capable lens on FF to a much less capable lens on APS-C. On the other hand there may never be a F/4 or F/4.5 FF zoom for Pentax, so who knows.

2) never heard of crop mode...

3)Far more capable 2.8 = paying more , much more..For example the mighty 16-50 2.8 from Pentax have two big disatvatages for me: price and somehow weight...Even if i get the 16-50 lens for free i still have a hard time carring it around..It's not about laziness, it's about handling heavy system..I need the element of spontaneity not imposing.Heavy equipment needs more care..So my mental limit is a K-5 body + 560grams lens added combo ...Even here i still have problems but is still fine..
Only the lens is 1000euros//1300$ -- That's beyond what i want to pay..

For example i wouldn't buy a Nikon D600 because weight of the body and here i am not discussing brand preference..So

Weight (inc. batteries) 850 g (1.87 lb / 29.98 oz) ... 760g without batteries

K-5
Weight No battery: 670 g (1.4 lb)
With battery: 750 g (1.6 lb)

It may not seem like much but for my skinny hands it makes a difference...When i jumped from K-x to K-5 i felt it...But the WR really is desirable for spontaneity...

Of course this thing with weight is my personal specific problem...It is somehow my standard ..You guys have other physical bodies and you have other standards...Your hands may handle easily 1kg body only ...
05-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #175
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,420
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Not a very big number for who will buy a Pentax FF on this poll.
Most of the people who are shooting Pentax don't need a FF body, so you can't expect a large number of people to respond "yes". People who need a FF body have already left Pentax for better systems.

Pentax wont release a FF body with the existing users as the target customers. If Pentax releases a FF body it will be to target the people who have left Pentax for another brand that offers FF support or to offer that move up option.

Pentax is a stepping stone brand. People buy into the brand and develop their skills and then move on to a system that offers more specialized options. Pentax is closing the gap with support technologies like AF. If they could fill a few lens gaps they could have an excellent professional system.
05-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #176
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,930
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Most of the people who are shooting Pentax don't need a FF body, so you can't expect a large number of people to respond "yes". People who need a FF body have already left Pentax for better systems.

Pentax wont release a FF body with the existing users as the target customers. If Pentax releases a FF body it will be to target the people who have left Pentax for another brand that offers FF support or to offer that move up option.

Pentax is a stepping stone brand. People buy into the brand and develop their skills and then move on to a system that offers more specialized options. Pentax is closing the gap with support technologies like AF. If they could fill a few lens gaps they could have an excellent professional system.
I was thinking more along the lines that there seems to be more threads asking for FF than users willing to purchase one.
05-12-2013, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #177
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
2) never heard of crop mode...

3)Far more capable 2.8 = paying more , much more..For example the mighty 16-50 2.8 from Pentax have two big disatvatages for me: price and somehow weight...Even if i get the 16-50 lens for free i still have a hard time carring it around..It's not about laziness, it's about handling heavy system..I need the element of spontaneity not imposing.Heavy equipment needs more care..So my mental limit is a K-5 body + 560grams lens added combo ...Even here i still have problems but is still fine..
Only the lens is 1000euros//1300$ -- That's beyond what i want to pay..

For example i wouldn't buy a Nikon D600 because weight of the body and here i am not discussing brand preference..So

Weight (inc. batteries) 850 g (1.87 lb / 29.98 oz) ... 760g without batteries

K-5
Weight • No battery: 670 g (1.4 lb)
• With battery: 750 g (1.6 lb)

It may not seem like much but for my skinny hands it makes a difference...When i jumped from K-x to K-5 i felt it...But the WR really is desirable for spontaneity...

Of course this thing with weight is my personal specific problem...It is somehow my standard ..You guys have other physical bodies and you have other standards...Your hands may handle easily 1kg body only ...
In general, equivalent lenses on FF are lighter than on APS-C. Do some actual comparisons with a few lenses, you might find that a 40mm F/2.8 XS on a FF camera would be lighter than a 28mm F/1.8 on APS-C... so much so that, depending on your lens choice, the FF combination may be lighter than the APS-C combination.

Dr. Camera: APS-C lenses aren't smaller, aren't lighter, and aren't cheaper.
05-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #178
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 61
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
In general, equivalent lenses on FF are lighter than on APS-C. Do some actual comparisons with a few lenses, you might find that a 40mm F/2.8 XS on a FF camera would be lighter than a 28mm F/1.8 on APS-C... so much so that, depending on your lens choice, the FF combination may be lighter than the APS-C combination.

Dr. Camera: APS-C lenses aren't smaller, aren't lighter, and aren't cheaper.
That was kind of enlightment...Thx for posting..After this calculations if Pentax will release an FF i will do the homework more throughly...
With or without FF i still want a Pentax camera really even if Nikon already have FF ...
05-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #179
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,786
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
In general, equivalent lenses on FF are lighter than on APS-C. Do some actual comparisons with a few lenses, you might find that a 40mm F/2.8 XS on a FF camera would be lighter than a 28mm F/1.8 on APS-C... so much so that, depending on your lens choice, the FF combination may be lighter than the APS-C combination.

Dr. Camera: APS-C lenses aren't smaller, aren't lighter, and aren't cheaper.
Explain to me how a 24 MP 400 mm lens on APS-c is lighter than you'd need for the 600 mm lens you'd need to be the equivalent on a 24 MP FF.
05-12-2013, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #180
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Would you mind taking the time to elaborate on how this would apply to telephoto lenses? I have my doubts. Thanks in advance!
Fixed that for you.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
frame, full-frame, pentax, pentax full frame
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you buy a Pentax phone? junyo Pentax News and Rumors 68 06-03-2013 10:46 AM
Pentax full frame fisheye for the 645D...would you buy one? slackercruster Pentax Medium Format 7 06-19-2012 07:01 AM
Would you buy a Pentax Fisheye P&S? andy_g Pentax Compact Cameras 18 11-30-2011 12:44 PM
What would you buy? A Full Frame Pentax or an EVIL Pentax? johnmflores Pentax DSLR Discussion 104 07-29-2010 07:55 PM
Would you buy a FF Pentax? bymy141 Pentax DSLR Discussion 52 04-14-2008 09:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top