Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Pentax Full Frame DSLR?
Yes 15277.95%
No 4322.05%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #166
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I think it's groundhog's day...
LOL

Groundhog Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never heard of this before...

ElJamoquio: the problem is if i get FF i will need only FF lenses...If i get APS-C i can use a combination of both worlds anyway because they are K-mount unless of course the FF will come with another mount..In this case the FF is ruled out anyway..I did wanted a 2.8 constant but lenses like Sigma 17-50 2.8 or Tamorin 17-50 2.8 are APS-C only from what i know..I suppose the only FF compatible lenses are the limited series that are already too expensive for me..

05-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
LOL

Groundhog Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I never heard of this before...

ElJamoquio: the problem is if i get FF i will need only FF lenses...If i get APS-C i can use a combination of both worlds anyway because they are K-mount unless of course the FF will come with another mount..In this case the FF is ruled out anyway..I did wanted a 2.8 constant but lenses like Sigma 17-50 2.8 or Tamorin 17-50 2.8 are APS-C only from what i know..I suppose the only FF compatible lenses are the limited series that are already too expensive for me..
1) The Sigma and Tamron are APS-C only.

2) It is very likely that a Pentax FF would have a 'crop' mode to use older glass, and many of the DA lenses already cover FF. Things like the 35mm F/2.4, 40mm F/2.8 (XS is cheaper of course) and 50mm F/1.8 are inexpensive 'DA' lenses that will become very, very capable on FF.

3) Why do you want a F/2.8 on APS-C and also an F/2.8 on FF? You're comparing a far more capable lens on FF to a much less capable lens on APS-C. On the other hand there may never be a F/4 or F/4.5 FF zoom for Pentax, so who knows.
05-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
2) It is very likely that a Pentax FF would have a 'crop' mode to use older glass, and many of the DA lenses already cover FF. Things like the 35mm F/2.4, 40mm F/2.8 (XS is cheaper of course) and 50mm F/1.8 are inexpensive 'DA' lenses that will become very, very capable on FF.
Yes, an FF body essentially has a second APS-C camera inside of it and would presumably have a mode (like the competitors do) that would crop to the APS-C size. (Of course you could also just crop it yourself later.) So any APS-C glass that was not suitable for FF, you could use just as before with approximately the same or more MPs as you get now with a K-5, K-30, or K-01. (Assuming the FF mode would be at least 24MP.)
05-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's a bit speculative to assume that DA lenses will be 'allowed' to work as FF lenses on the FF body. An auto-crop mode is more likely IMO.

05-11-2013, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
I think it's a bit speculative to assume that DA lenses will be 'allowed' to work as FF lenses on the FF body. An auto-crop mode is more likely IMO.
Auto-crop can be turned off with Nikon, I'm sure we would have the option of turning it off on Pentax also.

In-camera crop modes are relatively cheap to implement and do make things easier. I didn't get why we'd want it at first ("why not just crop in post?") until I started using it - makes things easier in post, increases FPS while shooting and increases # shots on card.

Hopefully Pentax would implement 1.2x and 5:4 ratio crops in addition to aps-c (1.5x). 1.2x crop alone would make virtually every DA lens fully usable.

05-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #171
Pentaxian

Not a very big number for who will buy a Pentax FF on this poll.
05-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Maybe. Nikon lets you do either.

05-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #173
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Not a very big number for who will buy a Pentax FF on this poll
The poll has been closed for a while now.
Plus of course there's this poll which I set up, but patronage to it too has been limited, probably by exposure rather than lack of numbers. Either way, there is decent evidence that Pentaxians want a FF camera, and a dSLR one at that.
05-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #174
Forum Member

1) The Sigma and Tamron are APS-C only.

3) Why do you want a F/2.8 on APS-C and also an F/2.8 on FF? You're comparing a far more capable lens on FF to a much less capable lens on APS-C. On the other hand there may never be a F/4 or F/4.5 FF zoom for Pentax, so who knows.

2) never heard of crop mode...

3)Far more capable 2.8 = paying more , much more..For example the mighty 16-50 2.8 from Pentax have two big disatvatages for me: price and somehow weight...Even if i get the 16-50 lens for free i still have a hard time carring it around..It's not about laziness, it's about handling heavy system..I need the element of spontaneity not imposing.Heavy equipment needs more care..So my mental limit is a K-5 body + 560grams lens added combo ...Even here i still have problems but is still fine..
Only the lens is 1000euros//1300$ -- That's beyond what i want to pay..

For example i wouldn't buy a Nikon D600 because weight of the body and here i am not discussing brand preference..So

Weight (inc. batteries) 850 g (1.87 lb / 29.98 oz) ... 760g without batteries

K-5
Weight • No battery: 670 g (1.4 lb)
• With battery: 750 g (1.6 lb)

It may not seem like much but for my skinny hands it makes a difference...When i jumped from K-x to K-5 i felt it...But the WR really is desirable for spontaneity...

Of course this thing with weight is my personal specific problem...It is somehow my standard ..You guys have other physical bodies and you have other standards...Your hands may handle easily 1kg body only ...
05-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Not a very big number for who will buy a Pentax FF on this poll.
Most of the people who are shooting Pentax don't need a FF body, so you can't expect a large number of people to respond "yes". People who need a FF body have already left Pentax for better systems.

Pentax wont release a FF body with the existing users as the target customers. If Pentax releases a FF body it will be to target the people who have left Pentax for another brand that offers FF support or to offer that move up option.

Pentax is a stepping stone brand. People buy into the brand and develop their skills and then move on to a system that offers more specialized options. Pentax is closing the gap with support technologies like AF. If they could fill a few lens gaps they could have an excellent professional system.
05-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Most of the people who are shooting Pentax don't need a FF body, so you can't expect a large number of people to respond "yes". People who need a FF body have already left Pentax for better systems.

Pentax wont release a FF body with the existing users as the target customers. If Pentax releases a FF body it will be to target the people who have left Pentax for another brand that offers FF support or to offer that move up option.

Pentax is a stepping stone brand. People buy into the brand and develop their skills and then move on to a system that offers more specialized options. Pentax is closing the gap with support technologies like AF. If they could fill a few lens gaps they could have an excellent professional system.
I was thinking more along the lines that there seems to be more threads asking for FF than users willing to purchase one.
05-12-2013, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by badsykes Quote
2) never heard of crop mode...

3)Far more capable 2.8 = paying more , much more..For example the mighty 16-50 2.8 from Pentax have two big disatvatages for me: price and somehow weight...Even if i get the 16-50 lens for free i still have a hard time carring it around..It's not about laziness, it's about handling heavy system..I need the element of spontaneity not imposing.Heavy equipment needs more care..So my mental limit is a K-5 body + 560grams lens added combo ...Even here i still have problems but is still fine..
Only the lens is 1000euros//1300$ -- That's beyond what i want to pay..

For example i wouldn't buy a Nikon D600 because weight of the body and here i am not discussing brand preference..So

Weight (inc. batteries) 850 g (1.87 lb / 29.98 oz) ... 760g without batteries

K-5
Weight • No battery: 670 g (1.4 lb)
• With battery: 750 g (1.6 lb)

It may not seem like much but for my skinny hands it makes a difference...When i jumped from K-x to K-5 i felt it...But the WR really is desirable for spontaneity...

Of course this thing with weight is my personal specific problem...It is somehow my standard ..You guys have other physical bodies and you have other standards...Your hands may handle easily 1kg body only ...
In general, equivalent lenses on FF are lighter than on APS-C. Do some actual comparisons with a few lenses, you might find that a 40mm F/2.8 XS on a FF camera would be lighter than a 28mm F/1.8 on APS-C... so much so that, depending on your lens choice, the FF combination may be lighter than the APS-C combination.

Dr. Camera: APS-C lenses aren't smaller, aren't lighter, and aren't cheaper.
05-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #178
Forum Member

In general, equivalent lenses on FF are lighter than on APS-C. Do some actual comparisons with a few lenses, you might find that a 40mm F/2.8 XS on a FF camera would be lighter than a 28mm F/1.8 on APS-C... so much so that, depending on your lens choice, the FF combination may be lighter than the APS-C combination.

That was kind of enlightment...Thx for posting..After this calculations if Pentax will release an FF i will do the homework more throughly...
With or without FF i still want a Pentax camera really even if Nikon already have FF ...
05-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #179
Pentaxian

Explain to me how a 24 MP 400 mm lens on APS-c is lighter than you'd need for the 600 mm lens you'd need to be the equivalent on a 24 MP FF.
05-12-2013, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Would you mind taking the time to elaborate on how this would apply to telephoto lenses? I have my doubts. Thanks in advance!
Fixed that for you.
Closed Thread