Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Pentax Full Frame DSLR?
Yes 15277.95%
No 4322.05%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no, I don't really have a need of using full frame to begin with, but if it is a robust design full frame mirrorless, I would say yes.
The only good thing when Pentax release a full frame DSLR for me is, it should make APS-C body such as K5II cheaper, and It would be a good excuse to get another one if it cheap enough by then.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 04-05-2013 at 12:33 AM.
04-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd wait for a while when dust settles and then buy it, for sure. I'd love to have it as compact as possible. I hope that they bring modern 20 mm lens or fast 24mm lens to go with it thank you. (I'd like to have fast weathersealed wide prime even in APS-C, like DA*20 or 24)
Oukhay, enough of daydreams, back to work!
04-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably not in the short term.
04-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Without knowing cost, functionality, features, lens availability, etc. I don't know how anyone would know.
Well, none of us knows for sure, but many of us probably assume certain things when we reply to such a question. In my case, I assume a better-than-average build, a superior version of a sensor that others already use, good ergonomics, equal or better than current Pentax AF performance and a superior viewfinder to most other offerings in the price range. Give me that and a competitive value proposition and I'll be willing to buy fairly early. I was lucky with my K-5 in buying early and avoiding sensor stain, so I may be a little more hesitant next time, but not by much, I suspect.

Edit: one assumption I forgot to state: it isn't a monster like the Canon or Nikon offerings.

04-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Yes without doubt I'd have a couple, on the proviso that my glass still fits and it has a decent enough spec.
04-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #21

I would buy one, but not when it's released. Luckily I don't necessarily need one so I can wait a bit longer. Until then I'm OK with Canon 5D and adapters for my FF hunger. But things can change of course.
04-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I use my D800 for landscape and portraits, and my K-5 for macro, telephoto work and everything else. So I have absolutely no need - none, whatsoever - no sir, no how - for a full frame Pentax.

Of course I'd buy one!!!!! Just don't stand in my way in the camera shop!

04-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I would love full frame for proper wide angles with legacy lenses. At some point, if no Pentax is forthcoming, I will have to get either a Nikon (as I have several Nikon lenses and will get metering and auto aperture with them) or Canon (I have no Canon lenses, but can kludge-adapt many other mounts). As it is, though the K-30 is very tempting, I don't really see an immediate need to add to my K100 + NEC C3 in APS-C.
04-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Without knowing cost, functionality, features, lens availability, etc. I don't know how anyone would know.
Exactly my thoughts. The question is too simplistic.
04-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #25
Pentaxian

With the addition of the Sigma 8-16 to my lens collection, probably no. With APS-c @ 2700 lw/ph well over the 2000 lw/ph you need to print a 20 inch image at 100 dpi. Before I bought the 8-16, I was thinking FF and 31. With the 8-16 being so sharp and with better CA control than comparable FF lenses, I'm now waiting for a 24 MP APS-c body. The only thing that might tempt me at this point would be a 48 MP FF body for less than $2500. This is not helped by the fact that the FA 31 is the widest lens currently available in an FA configuration. When you look at the Nikon 14-24 you have to admit, that's pretty much insane.

I'm an outdoor shooter. I like my long lenses and I carry my gear long distances. I'll leave FF for the studio and guys who never walk more than 50 feet from their cars. For me, it's lose /lose. More weight and size, less performance per pound.

I'm not sure what the 72% of voters above means. I'm guessing probably that non FF enthusiasts are completely burned out on threads about FF. A more accurate assessment would be how many Pentax owners actually own FF cameras. That is undoubtedly quite a bit smaller. Of the 40,000 registered users, I bet less than 500 own FF gear. But they are a very loud 500. Some can say well there isn't a Pentax one to buy. That's crazy. If I really wanted FF, I'd have a Nikon with aforementioned 14-24 and a Sigma 28-70. I'd have to spend at least as much to go FF on Pentax, except that there is no lens like the Nikon 14-24 for Pentax.

SO that still leaves me looking at Nikon if I go FF, even if Pentax were to release one. The quality of lens available is more important than the brand name on the camera, at least in my opinion.
04-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say probably yes. As long as the cost is around 2500 dollars (or below) and it has decent functionality. Most of the primes I own are full frame compatible. I would need a couple of zooms, a normal zoom and a 70-200 f2.8 equivalent, but otherwise, it wouldn't require a big investment from the glass side (that's probably enough, looking at at least a couple thousand dollar glass investment there). That said, I wouldn't really expect to see a major change in my photos with full frame -- probably continue as good (or as bad) as they have been all along...
04-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not interested in FF of any brand, shape or form and at any cost. I love the reach of APS-C with its cropfactor (and I have the Sigma 8-16mm at the bottom-end to keep me a happy wide-angle shooter), I am perfectly happy with the occasional large-size print (50x75cms) with the 16Mp and IQ of even my legacy K-5 and I appreciate the slighly larger DOF that keeps my images focussed even if I squeeze off a quick shot.

I also love the reasonable and acceptable prices of quality glass for APS-C, the moderate investment involved in body upgrades, the compact form factor and better battery life, the handling & looks.

I am planning to splurge on a K-5 IIs later this year after I get my vacation money payments but even that will not really cost me an arm and a leg and I get to keep my K-5 as a second body too.

So a full-frame Pentax? Nope, don't wake me up for it!
04-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The poll is flawed.

I can't seem to find the "Maybe" button.

There are so many things that would influence my (and most likely other peoples) decision, like cost, features and reviews that I can't give a yes or no answer.
04-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Whatever you have heard, it's a lie. you don't have more money when you are older LOL
Because when you are older your children (and often your ex-wife) have your money.

Based on need (NO), want (Oooh, Shiney, WANT! - sir Bismuth - PROBABLY) and expectation of the spec.'S (I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE.).

Recent experience with impulse purchase of the K-01 on release, and nearly the entire Q "ecology" on deal tells me I probably would buy it eventually.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-05-2013 at 02:25 PM.
04-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Because when you are older your children (and often your ex-wife) have your money.

Based on need (NO), want (Oooh, Shiney, WANT! - sir Bismuth - PROBABLY) and expectation of the spec.'S (i HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE.).

Recent experience with impulse purchase of the K-01 on release and nearly the enire Q "ecology" on deal tells me I probably would buy it eventually.
Ya, that's what bothers me, what if I had a moment of weakness?
Closed Thread