Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Pentax Full Frame DSLR?
Yes 15277.95%
No 4322.05%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #301
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ask them and get back to us. You could just as easily ask, why do so many professional photographers use APS-c? The fact is, there are reasons to use both systems. It's all a matter of which system works for you.
That was my point...if you go back and read what I wrote originally, i was disagreeing with this statement from Ash:

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash:
The only pragmatic advantage IMO of a 24x36 sensor by Pentax would be larger format printing with higher resolution, but only if paired with high end glass like the FA Limiteds.
I was merely stating that there was indeed another advantage to FF besides larger printing. I never said it was cheaper, smaller, or any other parameter.

07-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #302
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Hmmm, I don't know if I can agree with this ^^. What particular FAJ zoom vs what particular FA Limited I guess would be the question, and then what application?

I've found that even unsung lenses can start to look great and feel more 'useful' on FF, at least for my uses. I'd make a bet that a good percentage of FA 31ltd fans would start to prefer a simple F/FA 50 1.7 on a 24 or 36 or 54MP FF sensor to the 31ltd on any aps-c. (and that 31ltd on FF - hoo boy! )

I don't how much FA J glass you have used, but the zooms I used were pretty poor. And while primes are nice, zooms are where most of the sales are for any format.
07-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #303
Pentaxian

Guys, you're forgetting about bragging rights earned by equipment such as FF cameras, ƒ1.2 lenses, etc...
07-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #304
Veteran Member

Most of my lenses are FF lenses already except for the 10-17, 18-55, and 55-300.

It really depends on what the price, features, and image quality are.

I don't really see a need for me to have FF at the moment. The 10-17 is great for super wide.. and if I need wider, stitching together works just fine.

07-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Guys, you're forgetting about bragging rights earned by equipment such as FF cameras, 1.2 lenses, etc...
I still want a ~50mm f1.2 lens. Even if it has to be converted to K-mount I would be fine with it.
07-09-2013, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
I do not understand this. A 12Mp image is a 12Mp image. Be it from a full frame or a point-and-shoot. They should print equally well.
All pixels are not created equal.
07-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #307
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Size matters.
07-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #308
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mentioned 'pragmatic' advantage. There are endless non-pragmatic advantages to FF cameras.

Ash.

07-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I mentioned 'pragmatic' advantage. There are endless non-pragmatic advantages to FF cameras.

Ash.
Thank goodness you're here to let us know what is pragmatic to us...
I see you have a K-5IIs which is a good amount more expensive than a K-5 yet has very little advantage. I wonder how pragmatic that purchase was. You could've bought a K-30 for even cheaper, they all 3 share the same sensor yet the K-5iis is is double cost of the K-30. But I am sure there is double the pragmatic advantage too.

Last edited by cali92rs; 07-09-2013 at 09:13 PM.
07-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #310
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've already said the K-5 IIs was plenty camera for me personally, and I don't need to justify why I decided to buy it, even with the obvious pragmatic improvement it has over the K-5 classic (see the K-5 IIs - OMG thread). So thanks for your patronising analysis of my opinion (and after all, that's all it is, a non-authoritative opinion). Have a good day, sir.

Ash.

Last edited by Ash; 07-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.
07-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Sensor pixels are not equal but once converted into an image a 12Mp is 12Mp. They both print at the same quality. Of course during actual capture the photographer must consider sensor size (i.e. choice of aperture) but at the point where this has become an image it does not matter (each pixel in an image are of the same size).
07-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #312
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I've already said the K-5 IIs was plenty camera for me personally, and I don't need to justify why I decided to buy it, even with the obvious pragmatic improvement it has over the K-5 classic (see the K-5 IIs - OMG thread). So thanks for your patronising analysis of my opinion (and after all, that's all it is, a non-authoritative opinion). Have a good day, sir.

Ash.

Patronizing or not, he effectively turned your argument against you.
07-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #313
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
Sensor pixels are not equal but once converted inwill not happto an image a 12Mp is 12Mp. They both print at the same quality. Of course during actual capture the photographer must consider sensor size (i.e. choice of aperture) but at the point where this has become an image it does not matter (each pixel in an image are of the same size).
This is way to simplified, and in real use you usually get IQ advantage on larger sensor camera. Or would you say that you in all conditions can get the same IQ from a 12MP Pentax Q as a 12MP Nikon D700?

Small sensor camera don't usually have low enough ISO so they get same noise free images as on larger sensor cameras at base ISO.
Lenses on small sensor camera don't usually have large enough apertures to let the same amount of light to the sensor as lenses on larger sensor cameras.
07-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Thank goodness you're here to let us know what is pragmatic to us...
I see you have a K-5IIs which is a good amount more expensive than a K-5 yet has very little advantage. I wonder how pragmatic that purchase was. You could've bought a K-30 for even cheaper, they all 3 share the same sensor yet the K-5iis is is double cost of the K-30. But I am sure there is double the pragmatic advantage too.
Is the difference between K-5 and K5IIs really so pragmatic? 8% resolution/IQ improvement to ALL your lenses for so little extra money. I've spent more on replacing a single lens for less IQ improvement.

But of course, this argument goes for the FF too... No that's not true, I have to buy new lenses for that!
07-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
This is way to simplified, and in real use you usually get IQ advantage on larger sensor camera. Or would you say that you in all conditions can get the same IQ from a 12MP Pentax Q as a 12MP Nikon D700?

Small sensor camera don't usually have low enough ISO so they get same noise free images as on larger sensor cameras at base ISO.
Lenses on small sensor camera don't usually have large enough apertures to let the same amount of light to the sensor as lenses on larger sensor cameras.
In good light, yes. I doubt if you can identify which image is which.

Re aperture size, you forget that it's a ratio. f5.6 is the same for any format. It let's exactly the same amount of light. Doh?
Closed Thread