Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Pentax Full Frame DSLR?
Yes 15277.95%
No 4322.05%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you to all who voted! I'm going to send an email to Pentax EVP Jim Malcolm and link this poll and Ash's poll to let him know the demand for a FF.

Edit: Email sent!

Last edited by Tesla; 04-14-2013 at 09:26 PM.
04-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #92
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the best with that mate. I appreciate your work. Been too busy myself to get into the project. But I'm thankful you've taken the time to do so yourself.
04-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #93
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I'm going to send an email to Pentax EVP Jim Malcolm
He needs a rocket up it, yes you know where I mean, as well as an email.
04-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
I'm trying to hold off a K30 purchase to see. It will probably be out of my price range +$1500 so I will prob end up getting a K30 anyway.
Heh... And i'm holding off ANY Pentax products purchases.. Tell him that too..

04-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #95
fuf
Forum Member

Yes, I will buy one when it is released. I just hope it will employ a large viewfinder and allow to use any other focusing points than just the center one for focus confirmation when using manual lenses.
04-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #96
pdo

Savings for fullframe..
04-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #97
Veteran Member

I have a nice tax refund on the way. Enough to buy a D800 or a D600 with one nice lens. I'd rather to give the money to Pentax. So, Pentax, if you're listening, give me some glimmer of hope before I buy into Nikon

04-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
I would like a Pentax FF but I voted no because I don't want to spend $2000 on a camera.

Actually I would be on the market for a Pentax equivalent of a used 5D or D700 released a few years ago. Unfortunately there is none.

So I bought a Pentax ME last week for 10 bucks.
I would also like one but I don't have the money, it's bulkier (relevant for hiking/biking) and I'm not sure I would see enough of an improvement in my personal photography to make it worth it.
04-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #99
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
's bulkier (relevant for hiking/biking) and I'm not sure I would see enough of an improvement in my personal photography to make it worth it.
Those are good reasons NOT to invest into a larger format, and even consider an APS-C mirrorless camera. If Pentax were to make one that was WR...
04-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
it's bulkier (relevant for hiking/biking)
That depends. The K-5 with a limited prime is quite small, but those who start from a 7-D and 17-55 would see a size reduction going to the 6-D and 24-105 f/4.

We can't really predict how much smaller the FF lens any APS-C lens would be on FF, or how much bigger (or smaller) the camera is going to be. In any case, though, everyone should realize FF isn't going to be bigger than APS-C for much longer - bigger cameras are not a requirement of FF, and most lenses between 24mm and 70mm (equivalent) are smaller on FF. Above 70mm you can crop on FF.
04-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
That depends. The K-5 with a limited prime is quite small, but those who start from a 7-D and 17-55 would see a size reduction going to the 6-D and 24-105 f/4.

We can't really predict how much smaller the FF lens any APS-C lens would be on FF, or how much bigger (or smaller) the camera is going to be. In any case, though, everyone should realize FF isn't going to be bigger than APS-C for much longer - bigger cameras are not a requirement of FF, and most lenses between 24mm and 70mm (equivalent) are smaller on FF. Above 70mm you can crop on FF.
OK, now I'm really curious... how does a lens that has to cover a larger sensor end up being the same size or smaller? And how does a camera with a larger mirror and sensor end up being the same size or smaller than one a smaller sensor , mirror, shutter etc.

It would stand to reason that using the same technology in both, an APS-c lens will always be a few mm smaller, as will the camera body. Some things, like the pentaprism, the sensor and the lenses will always have to be bigger.

At the very best the lenses will be the same, since any lens used on an FF can also be used on an APS-c. Same lens same weight. The 15 and 21 however can not be used on an FF, and I've yet to see. You could easily argue that since you have to use a 600mm lens to be the equivalent to a 400 on APS-c, FF lenses are much heavier for the same FoV.

I really don't understand what you're thinking.
04-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #102
Pentaxian

I don't know.

I have a K-5, K10D and K-m. The photo's they produce meet my high standards.

In the film days I used...in addition to 35mm....Pentax SLR/ Leica Rangefinder and medium format (Mamiya). ...I'm used to camera equipment from the film days that worked very well.

When I compare my ASP-C photo's vs the medium format and 35 mm film photo's...IMO....the digital ASP-C more than holds it's own.

I know a few Canikons that have traded in their ASP-C stuff for full framers from Nikon/Canon.

I've looked at some of their work and while some of it is really good....IMO...after a certain point.....lighting and photographer skill can be...more important factors in producing quality photo's then just using a full framer.

So would I get a full frame Pentax ? I still don't know.
04-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
lighting and photographer skill can be...more important factors in producing quality photo's then just using a full framer.
Of course - the photographer is about 50x more important than the camera.

Still, the camera is a tool, and the FF has another stop of range, more or less, and it's silly that Pentax doesn't want to compete.
04-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #104
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
silly that Pentax doesn't want to compete.
Aye, but they're are FF is coming, isn't it?

It's just when!
04-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #105
Pentaxian

Of course - the photographer is about 50x more important than the camera.

Still, the camera is a tool, and the FF has another stop of range, more or less, and it's silly that Pentax doesn't want to compete.
I'm surprised they don't have a FF yet, but introduced a medium format first. Although Pentax was a major player in medium format equipment back in the film days...6X7, 645.

I used a Pentax 6X7, with the 90mm F2.8 Leaf Shutter a fair amount back in the '80's Wonderful camera with those big usable negs.
Closed Thread