Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
When it comes to image quality......

Pentax did make a statement that it is all about image quality. Don't know where or about, but I guess it was around the 645D.

Looking at the test from DxO:
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

It is very easy to make the statement that when Pentax want to bring image quality to a next level for K-mount the sensor has to grow. The Nikon D7100 24mp camera only gaint one point, so that is not the big winner.

Choices to make:

Sensor size:
  • The small step in this format would be a large APS-H sized sensor!
  • The big step would be a full frame sized sensor!

Pixelcount:
  • 1) Choosing real large pixels would make up for a fast sportscamera for working in real low light, (16mp on FF).
  • 2) Choosing large pixels (6micro) would give a lower pixelcount, but better performance in low light, (24mp on FF).
  • 3) Choosing the pixels from the K-5 would give more pixels and still a good performance in low light, (around 36mp on FF).
  • 4) Choosing a real hi pixelcount with small sensils (like in D7100) would give a huge amount off pixels, mainly for studiowork (57mp on FF).

Body choice:
  • A retro look camera (like LX) would apeal to a lot off people. A smaller camera probably does mean limited use for intensive shootings (like sports or so).
  • A K-5-styled camera would make a great camera (maybe a little bigger then K-5).
  • A K-5-styled camera with integrated grip, making room for electronics would make up for a real workhorse. More electronics does mean more functionality.
  • A mirrorless K-mount body would make for a great camera, but just attracting a small amount off users.
  • A large-sensor compact camera (no lens changing) would make a nice camera, but expensive and not targeted at a large usergroup. More options would be possible, since there could be a different type off lens for different targeted users.

Offcourse once Pentax has a sensor and the electronics around it it can be made in different forms (dslr/ilc/compact), but honestly I'm not expecting more then one camera in the first year.

I'm probably going to buy whatever camera that is coming, but I do have my prefferances:

My first choice would be:
An (large) APS-H sized sensor with large sensils (like in D600), so around 16mp (like in K-5 II) in a K-5-styled body.

What would you choose or ad?

04-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

APS-H talks are off topic in this section, I'd think, looking how it's named ("Pentax Full Frame").
Besides, how many times do you want us to explain why APS-H is a bad idea?
04-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
APS-H talks are off topic in this section, I'd think, looking how it's named ("Pentax Full Frame").
Lucky that there more choices or preferences to make.
04-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I can say is: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-industry/209882-next-...oh-pentax.html

04-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

@Ash .. LOL

I would like a true FF 24mp (not aps-h) in a body similar to the K-5, but special pewter or graphite color finish. (like the af k-3 )

If you get too high mp and you get lower ISO, less fps, more processing power required.. less battery life.
04-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K5-styled camera (no integrated grip) at 57MP would be sweetness, indeed.
04-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote

If you get too high mp and you get lower ISO, less fps, more processing power required.. less battery life.
Yes because everyone is so disappointed in the D800's image quality and performance /sarcasm

04-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Yes because everyone is so disappointed in the D800's image quality and performance /sarcasm
Well don't forget about enourmous files you get in RAW with a 36mp or 57mp sensor. This is for all your images, and that might even be disapointing from time to time.
04-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well don't forget about enourmous files you get in RAW with a 36mp or 57mp sensor. This is for all your images, and that might even be disapointing from time to time.
There are dozens and dozens of considerations when choosing what brand, format, etc. File size should be dead last, if at all, on anyone's
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, consistency is a virtue, of sorts...

As for being off-topic, all regular DSLR users (excepting those who buy the "best", just to take photos of the kids) know what is intended by the term "full frame" but it is a meaningless term, in itself. Consequently, Ron's quite entitled to use it to describe the APS-H format, if he wants to.

OK, maybe to avoid confusion he could refer to it as the "Glass Half Full Frame" or GHFF, given his optimistic nature. Others of a less sunny disposition could call it the GHEF.
04-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum.
04-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There are dozens and dozens of considerations when choosing what brand, format, etc. File size should be dead last, if at all, on anyone's
Well I used the 645D for 15 days last year. Coming home with those enourmous files was fun, but it slowed down my workprocess on the computer and did fill up my harddrive fast. No to worry about when all those files where there for work, but also some familysnapshots where among them and spending 80MB on a snapshot is a little too much. Going to a 57 megapixel 14-bit RAW would give files over 100MB large. That is pretty much.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, consistency is a virtue, of sorts...

OK, maybe to avoid confusion he could refer to it as the "Glass Half Full Frame" or GHFF, given his optimistic nature. Others of a less sunny disposition could call it the GHEF.
Me like!

Butt this is not about me wanting APS-H. The first statement I made was that when wanting better image quality (for a K-mount camera) the sensor has to grow over APS-C! So there are historicly two options. Both will deliver on that demand, with offcourse the full frame sensor winning on this game. Pentax could also choose for a different format sensor, like 4:5 or 4:3 and make a different kind off full frame sensor. Choosing full frame is going for the maximum possible sensor-size where aps-h (and other formats) would settle for something less (if your glass is Always half empty) wich still would winn over aps-c.
04-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #13

My ME Super lasted for 10 years, I only "upgraded" when it broke.... I'm quite happy with my K5 and don't really "need" a full frame Camera.
But if Pentax would like to sell me a new camera without waiting another eight years (ok, it might not last as long), the new camera would need to be significantly better. Considering how small the difference is even between K10 and K5, I'm pretty sure using the biggest sensor that fits in a k-mount camera is the logical way to get the best image quality convincing me to invest!
04-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I used the 645D for 15 days last year. Coming home with those enourmous files was fun, but it slowed down my workprocess on the computer and did fill up my harddrive fast. No to worry about when all those files where there for work, but also some familysnapshots where among them and spending 80MB on a snapshot is a little too much. Going to a 57 megapixel 14-bit RAW would give files over 100MB large. That is pretty much.
My K-5 14-bit files are 14-18 MB on average. The 57 MP files will be about 50-60 MB, not 100.
04-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It is not just the file size itself (storage requirements), it is the computer processing power and amount of RAM you need to do post on such images. That's not a small concern -- certainly wouldn't be last on my list. I'd like 36MP at FF and 24MP in crop mode. That is plenty MPs enough to make nice big prints...