Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #31
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,118
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In that contexct, do you think Pentax learned anything positive from the K-01?
I'm terrified that they're not going to try it again, because of the reaction of their fans. I hope they will improve on it.

04-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #32
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 232
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In that contexct, do you think Pentax learned anything positive from the K-01?
Sony has.... from RX1 and thus the rumoured NEX FF...

Pentax unfortunately can only afford to recycle the 16 Mpx sensor in different bodies.
04-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #33
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,609
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In that contexct, do you think Pentax learned anything positive from the K-01?
I think they learned mostly about focus peaking, CD AF, use weaker AA filter than in the K-5, and making the camera as compact as possible. And to make a matching ultra thin XS lens. Even if the product wasn't a big success in terms of sales, it still was a nice bridge to develop and test technology. Because of the K-01, all their other cameras will have improved CD AF, focus peaking, etc.
I really hope they continue the line of mirrorless cameras and XS lenses.
04-21-2013, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think they learned mostly about focus peaking, CD AF, use weaker AA filter than in the K-5, and making the camera as compact as possible. And to make a matching ultra thin XS lens. Even if the product wasn't a big success in terms of sales, it still was a nice bridge to develop and test technology. Because of the K-01, all their other cameras will have improved CD AF, focus peaking, etc.
I really hope they continue the line of mirrorless cameras and XS lenses.
And i got flaked for stating back then somewhere that the K-01 was nothing but just an experimental product... We are but Pentax beta testers..

Next question is, what have they learnt from K30 and K5iiS so that they may offer their final APSC product? I'd say it's the hardware and software of both camera merged into 1, that's all... Maybe with a new sensor.. We can keep dreaming of a FF for another 2 years or 3...

05-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #35
Junior Member
geojazz's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 29
I would love to see a K5 or even a K20 sized body with a minimal built in battery grip (with separate controls and shutter release of course). One thing that has bugged me about the K7/K5 is that the connection on the bottom of the camera for a Tripod quick release plate isn't centered under the lens. This makes it difficult to find a good flash bracket. I would like to see the return to the K20 menu wheel selector as opposed to the K7/K5 buttons. Build the Camera with great K5 ergonomics and minimal menu diving with superior Pic Quality and Pentax will have a winner ..... I'll take TWO please!!!
05-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #36
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by geojazz Quote
I would love to see a K5 or even a K20 sized body with a minimal built in battery grip (with separate controls and shutter release of course). One thing that has bugged me about the K7/K5 is that the connection on the bottom of the camera for a Tripod quick release plate isn't centered under the lens. This makes it difficult to find a good flash bracket. I would like to see the return to the K20 menu wheel selector as opposed to the K7/K5 buttons. Build the Camera with great K5 ergonomics and minimal menu diving with superior Pic Quality and Pentax will have a winner ..... I'll take TWO please!!!
For the price of one K5iiS.. LoL!
05-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Will our K-3/K-1 physically be the same size or closer to the K-5? Why are Canon/Nikon lenses so large when they have the same AoV as Pentax? Film cameras were one thing...
Have any of you folks seen or held the Sony RX1? It is a FF camera that is the size of a compact. The RX1 lacks in-body image stabilization, but if it were a bit larger, say the size of a K-5, I would bet that IBIS could be included. Sony has shown the world how to make a truly small FF camera. I hope that Pentax will learn some lessons from them, and if they do, they can distinguish themselves from the established manufacturers of FF DSLRs.

Rob
05-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,813
I wouldn't want a camera that small. I want versatility, I want a proper DSLR like Pentax is known for.
I hope Pentax will never "learn" to make unbalanced cameras like the NEX series.

05-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #39
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wouldn't want a camera that small. I want versatility, I want a proper DSLR like Pentax is known for.
I hope Pentax will never "learn" to make unbalanced cameras like the NEX series.
You mean like the perfectly balanced NEX 7 with trinav? The NEX isn't supposed to be used with a 70-200/2.8 zoom. That doesn't mean it is unbalanced. DSLRs are going to be around for a long time, don't worry.
05-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,813
But a K-5 is decently balanced with lenses from small pancakes to those you're not supposed to be using with a NEX
05-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #41
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But a K-5 is decently balanced with lenses from small pancakes to those you're not supposed to be using with a NEX
There is a reason I sold my K-5 for the NEX. It's small enough to bring with me more places. A DSLR can be too bulky to carry around. For what I shoot, I don't need a DSLR, but everyone is different. A DSLR is better for some, mirrorless for others and some people have both.
05-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #42
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,813
Indeed, one size does not fits all.
Though, Pentax's size is somewhere between the paper thin MILCs and bulky Canikon DSLRs.
05-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #43
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,080
A modular FF/APS body. Interchangeable viewfinders including an electronic one making the camera a mirrorless (mirror flaps up permanently when using this finder). APS + 2 different FF modules (24 and 36mp ?).
05-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #44
Forum Member
Jan67's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 84
What ??
For whom ??

We call such monsters cat-dogs...
05-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #45
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,813
In theory it's a nice idea; but I doubt it can be implemented without some significant drawbacks; e.g. size, price, weather sealing issues.
I'd go for interchangeable viewfinders, LX-style, though. This is one component I wish they'll make as big as it needs to be.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
full-frame, pentax, pentax ff
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon Vs Canon FF - For Pentax users yusuf Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 01-15-2013 02:52 AM
Pentax vs others? Asudef Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 06-08-2012 09:39 AM
What FF does Pentax need to keep you vs the D800? pinholecam Pentax DSLR Discussion 146 04-08-2012 09:50 PM
Pentax 12-24mm vs Sigma 10-20 and others kuau Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-18-2008 05:05 AM
Rant: Pentax Lens -vs- others. Ed in GA Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 05-20-2008 09:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top