Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax FF vs. Others.

Will our K-3/K-1 physically be the same size or closer to the K-5? Why are Canon/Nikon lenses so large when they have the same AoV as Pentax? Film cameras were one thing...

04-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canikon lenses are big for two reasons: they're fast, and the have builtin at motors and oftentimes stabilization. If you get the right lenses, though, you can still end up with a fairly compact FF system. Idk what Pentax is planning, but the FF had better be appealing beside today's ffs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The D600 isn't too big. I think Pentax can make it a little smaller, but if they do they might have to give up IS.
04-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Canikon lenses are big for two reasons: they're fast, and the have builtin at motors and oftentimes stabilization. If you get the right lenses, though, you can still end up with a fairly compact FF system. Idk what Pentax is planning, but the FF had better be appealing beside today's ffs.
Forgot about the internal stuff.

04-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yep, Pentax is, atm, a pretty compact system. Most of the lenses are small, especially the primes. This is because the cameras have in body stabilization (so the lenses don't need it) and most lenses have screw drive AF (which means the motor in the camera drives it, not a motor in the actual lens). It would make sense for Pentax to continue this trend, but on the other hand, if they make a FF it will be standing out from the other Pentax DSLRs already, so even if its huge it won't be a problem. But i kind of doubt it will be as big as the massive Nikon flagship, for example. Doubt it will even compete with that tier of DSLRs.
04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Will our K-3/K-1 physically be the same size or closer to the K-5?
When fitted with grip, I hoping it will be nearer the K20D sort of size, because I've got big hands.
04-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yep, Pentax is, atm, a pretty compact system. Most of the lenses are small, especially the primes. This is because the cameras have in body stabilization (so the lenses don't need it) and most lenses have screw drive AF (which means the motor in the camera drives it, not a motor in the actual lens). It would make sense for Pentax to continue this trend, but on the other hand, if they make a FF it will be standing out from the other Pentax DSLRs already, so even if its huge it won't be a problem. But i kind of doubt it will be as big as the massive Nikon flagship, for example. Doubt it will even compete with that tier of DSLRs.
A few months ago, I held an F5 for the first time and it felt alright(I have big hands too). If the new camera were the size of the K-5 w/grip, that'd be cool and it would be one less accessory to buy(grip)
04-08-2013, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
When fitted with grip, I hoping it will be nearer the K20D sort of size, because I've got big hands.
I got tiny hands and can fit all fingers on the K-5 without a grip so I hope for the opposite!

04-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Well with a grip I hope for the K-5 body, since that would make a great camera with lots off room for electronics and still tiny compared to D4/1Dx.
04-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I got tiny hands and can fit all fingers on the K-5 without a grip so I hope for the opposite!
That kind of talk isn't allowed here.
04-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
That kind of talk isn't allowed here.
Hahaha! Wow, I hope it wasn't a Freudian slip on my part because I wasn't aware of it at all.
04-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
+1
04-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

As long as it's smaller than my 6X7, I can adjust.
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't have sausage fingers, but I felt the k20d was comfortable.
04-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to speculate since nothing in the pipeline has been made available for us to see.
But I can see Pentax bringing out the smallest FF to date, with the option of grip, like the K-5. I got used to the K-5 + grip after the K10D/K20D + grip, and both felt fine in my smaller hands.