Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,377
Pentax FF vs. Others.

Will our K-3/K-1 physically be the same size or closer to the K-5? Why are Canon/Nikon lenses so large when they have the same AoV as Pentax? Film cameras were one thing...

04-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,944
Canikon lenses are big for two reasons: they're fast, and the have builtin at motors and oftentimes stabilization. If you get the right lenses, though, you can still end up with a fairly compact FF system. Idk what Pentax is planning, but the FF had better be appealing beside today's ffs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
The D600 isn't too big. I think Pentax can make it a little smaller, but if they do they might have to give up IS.
04-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,377
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Canikon lenses are big for two reasons: they're fast, and the have builtin at motors and oftentimes stabilization. If you get the right lenses, though, you can still end up with a fairly compact FF system. Idk what Pentax is planning, but the FF had better be appealing beside today's ffs.
Forgot about the internal stuff.

04-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,314
Yep, Pentax is, atm, a pretty compact system. Most of the lenses are small, especially the primes. This is because the cameras have in body stabilization (so the lenses don't need it) and most lenses have screw drive AF (which means the motor in the camera drives it, not a motor in the actual lens). It would make sense for Pentax to continue this trend, but on the other hand, if they make a FF it will be standing out from the other Pentax DSLRs already, so even if its huge it won't be a problem. But i kind of doubt it will be as big as the massive Nikon flagship, for example. Doubt it will even compete with that tier of DSLRs.
04-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,584
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Will our K-3/K-1 physically be the same size or closer to the K-5?
When fitted with grip, I hoping it will be nearer the K20D sort of size, because I've got big hands.
04-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,377
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yep, Pentax is, atm, a pretty compact system. Most of the lenses are small, especially the primes. This is because the cameras have in body stabilization (so the lenses don't need it) and most lenses have screw drive AF (which means the motor in the camera drives it, not a motor in the actual lens). It would make sense for Pentax to continue this trend, but on the other hand, if they make a FF it will be standing out from the other Pentax DSLRs already, so even if its huge it won't be a problem. But i kind of doubt it will be as big as the massive Nikon flagship, for example. Doubt it will even compete with that tier of DSLRs.
A few months ago, I held an F5 for the first time and it felt alright(I have big hands too). If the new camera were the size of the K-5 w/grip, that'd be cool and it would be one less accessory to buy(grip)
04-08-2013, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
When fitted with grip, I hoping it will be nearer the K20D sort of size, because I've got big hands.
I got tiny hands and can fit all fingers on the K-5 without a grip so I hope for the opposite!

04-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
Well with a grip I hope for the K-5 body, since that would make a great camera with lots off room for electronics and still tiny compared to D4/1Dx.
04-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,377
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I got tiny hands and can fit all fingers on the K-5 without a grip so I hope for the opposite!
That kind of talk isn't allowed here.
04-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
That kind of talk isn't allowed here.
Hahaha! Wow, I hope it wasn't a Freudian slip on my part because I wasn't aware of it at all.
04-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Lurch's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 577
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
When fitted with grip, I hoping it will be nearer the K20D sort of size, because I've got big hands.
+1
04-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,415
As long as it's smaller than my 6X7, I can adjust.
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
I don't have sausage fingers, but I felt the k20d was comfortable.
04-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
Hard to speculate since nothing in the pipeline has been made available for us to see.
But I can see Pentax bringing out the smallest FF to date, with the option of grip, like the K-5. I got used to the K-5 + grip after the K10D/K20D + grip, and both felt fine in my smaller hands.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
full-frame, pentax, pentax ff
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon Vs Canon FF - For Pentax users yusuf Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 01-15-2013 02:52 AM
Pentax vs others? Asudef Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 06-08-2012 09:39 AM
What FF does Pentax need to keep you vs the D800? pinholecam Pentax DSLR Discussion 146 04-08-2012 09:50 PM
Pentax 12-24mm vs Sigma 10-20 and others kuau Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-18-2008 05:05 AM
Rant: Pentax Lens -vs- others. Ed in GA Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 05-20-2008 09:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top