Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #31
Banned

No company would ever come out with full frame DSLR without video mode and a square sensor is not what you want for that. Get the GH2 and shoot in 1:1 square mode.

05-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I crop a good many photos to square as well. It catches the eye among the standard ratios.

Having shot quite a bit of 6x6 on a TLR, it really does not bother me in the least to crop every photo. It is what your sensor is doing with the image anyway. When shooting indoors with flash, having the flash always at one orientation was a godsend. It also makes using a finder from above easier.

135 was constantly cropped as well if you made prints to fit standard frames.

I'd be all for it except for the cost of a sensor. When a 36x36 (or even 24x24) sensor becomes affordable, then let's talk.
05-10-2013, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually have toyed with the idea of a square sensor, where the image is meant to be cropped. The camera would come with good editing software to quickly crop to any aspect ratio, and deal with vignetting, and lens distortion. I would call it "Pentax Raw" or something, and have the camera programming be open source, similar to apps on smart phones. People could write apps for filtering, focus algorithms, CROPPING, etc. Of course this would never happen... it is just a fun idea...