Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I am the smallest SLR in the world!

With ongoing discussions between the 'small hands' and the 'big hands' in some threads about the size of the K5 and the best size for the expected FF (K3), it's time for some facts.

1) A Canikon type camera with an integrated grip is big (not to say huge). It serves the 'big hands' group.
2) A small camera is good for the 'small hands' group.
3) A small camera with an optional grip serves both the 'small hands' and the 'big hands' because you can make a small camera bigger.
4) A small camera with a mounted grip is not very small but it is acceptable for 'small hands'.

Conclusion: A small camera with an optional grip serves the largest group of people.

Professional cameras are growing bigger and bigger because they need large amounts of power and batteries are costing a lot of room. Saying that the K5 is small actually compares it to those mastodons, but when you look at my photo it's already quite large. So, Pentax can prove it is a top-notch manufacturer when it can keep the FF small.

It's not difficult to make a prediction about the new FF (K3) based on these arguments: it is a small camera with an optional grip because that's the most attractive option from a commercial point of view. At the same time Pentax can say: "We are making the smallest professional DSLR in the world".

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 08-18-2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Image link changed.
04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think the FF will be about the size of the K-5, but I don't think the up coming K-3 will be FF. I think it will be APS-C and the FF will come out later in the year or early next year. We'll know soon!
04-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
A small camera with an optional grip serves both the 'small hands' and the 'big hands' because you can make a small camera bigger.
That sounds like a plan, I did exactly that with my K20D's.
04-11-2013, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With ongoing discussions between the 'small hands' and the 'big hands' in some threads about the size of the K5 and the best size for the expected FF (K3), it's time for some facts.

1) A Canikon type camera with an integrated grip is big (not to say huge). It serves the 'big hands' group.
2) A small camera is good for the 'small hands' group.
3) A small camera with an optional grip serves both the 'small hands' and the 'big hands' because you can make a small camera bigger.
4) A small camera with a mounted grip is not very small but it is acceptable for 'small hands'.

Conclusion: A small camera with an optional grip serves the largest group of people.

Professional cameras are growing bigger and bigger because they need large amounts of power and batteries are costing a lot of room. Saying that the K5 is small actually compares it to those mastodons, but when you look at my photo it's already quite large. So, Pentax can prove it is a top-notch manufacturer when it can keep the FF small.

It's not difficult to make a prediction about the new FF (K3) based on these arguments: it is a small camera with an optional grip because that's the most attractive option from a commercial point of view. At the same time Pentax can say: "We are making the smallest professional DSLR in the world".
Well, I think it all really depends on how they may go about it: Add-on grips tend to make bigger cameras like a Nikon d300/d700 really quite monstrous: (Personally I like a camera with a bit of heft, but too much is too much. I've got long fingers, so it's a pretty rare camera rig that's actually too big for me to hold. ) I actually like the size of the K20d+grip (just a bit bigger than the K-5, I understand.) ) but would probably just have to do without the extra battery power if I had like a D700. Those with grips appear substantially huger than even the integrated full frame pro bodies.

Anyway, I figure it depends how much extra space they need around the sensor for things like the SR system and the like: if they have to make the camera body itself taller to fit stuff in there, they may as well use an integrated grip in order to save overall size and weight while keeping it all strong/rigid and sealed and all: ( the battery compartments could be placed somewhat in front of those sensor works. ) Also they'd get more ability to add controls or perhaps a bigger LCD, etc.

Basically, going the integrated route would be one logical thing they could do to make room for the bigger sensor and processors and such: by doing away with the two layers of housing and all that mounting hardware. They'd gain a lot of space and design flexibility and trim some weight without making the whole package bigger. There's really only so much they can do to make an add-on battery grip any smaller or more cleverly arranged than they are already.

Which is a long-winded way of saying I think Pentax will be making a decision based on if they can make their FF system a similar size to a K-5+grip or smaller: the way I'm visualizing, they could be able to make an attractively-small integrated package that might not be much more bulky than one with a single battery. (basically by putting the batteries in vertically in front of most of the works. If they wanted to use a new size of battery, they could be really clever indeed, (like long, skinnyish batteries, for instance, one going up into the horizontal grip and one inside the vertical, things like that. )

Guess we may see. One thing we can be pretty assured of is that the Pentax will be smaller than the equivalent designs from the other guys. One thing Pentax is just consistently best at is ergonomics. And just don't tend to make things bigger than they need to: since they're almost surely not trying to make a blistering papparazzi camera there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't need to be as big as the Canons and Nikons. Pentax's market really isn't the guys leaning on the shutter at 1/8000 a second and 10 FPS for a whole football play or something, after all. I'm just hoping they aren't shy about making the *viewfinder* as big as they may like.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-11-2013 at 04:09 PM.
04-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm just hoping they aren't shy about making the *viewfinder* as big as they may like.
Exactly my thoughts. Rather than "We are making the smallest professional DSLR in the world", I would like them to say, "We are making the DSLR with the finest viewfinder". After all, that's the only argument that still counts for DSLRs to exist.
04-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Exactly my thoughts. Rather than "We are making the smallest professional DSLR in the world", I would like them to say, "We are making the DSLR with the finest viewfinder". After all, that's the only argument that still counts for DSLRs to exist.
Wholeheartedly agree.

L.E. I'm wearing glasses, so eyepoint is very important.

Last edited by Kunzite; 04-12-2013 at 05:36 AM.
04-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

We are making the DSLR with the finest viewfinder
While we're doing that, could we also have interchangeability like the LX's had.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-12-2013 at 12:39 PM.
04-12-2013, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
While we're doing that, could we also have interchangeability like the LX's had.
I'm actually un-convinced of the utility of that *now.* (And I thought I was the near-Luddite here. ) If you want something like an odd-angled view or a sports-finder, these things are better-achieved by an LCD than a big and heavy interchangeable optical finder system. I'd rather they spent the effort bolting down absolute focusing screen precision and doing the rest by just reading right off the sensor. Instead of all the precision optics and latches (What's now the expensive part) all they'd need to do for any style finder you want is put in a 'video out' plug.

(The fact is, even those big multi-prism 'action finders' are a lot of heavy and expensive prism glass trying to spread out the same amount of light: digital cameras already have an imaging sensor far more capable built in. By definition. I like to look at the actual light, too, but for special applications, there is new tech that can be shaped like *anything* anyone imagines. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-12-2013 at 01:05 PM.
04-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

odd-angled view or a sports-finder, these things are better-achieved by an LCD
Maybe your right, hadn't considered that, I'm just old, forgive me.
04-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Maybe your right, hadn't considered that, I'm just old, forgive me.
Hey, it's me. I tote a Canon F-1N and SSC lenses around *daily.*

(I really should get hold of an old KX, if not an LX in good tune, and a couple old Pentax lenses, but I carry the extra weight because I'm really attached to the familiar in some ways. Also I don't have an 85 for Pentax. An FA77 would lighten my load a lot. )
04-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

Hey, it's me
But they did look so cool as well as being functional.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/lens-clubs/167350d1365504449-club-goldenlx.jpg

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-12-2013 at 01:28 PM.
04-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
Forum Member

yes, like the one in the Olympus E5
04-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I agree 100%. And yet Pentax haven't made an entry level DSLR with a grip option since the K200D. If they had, I would have been very tempted to upgrade, but the K5 series are still too expensive and I don't want to downgrade to a camera to which I can't add a grip.