Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF camera without FF lens?

Would a camera company take a chance and release a new FF camera without any native FF lens support?

Before you post all the old lenses that are FF compatible, yes I know, I have many of them. But this is a new age with new technology and sensors that are ever more particular about the glass in front of them.

But if you get past the point of having the same name on the glass as on the body what about this:
Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Personally I think that is a pretty impressive FF lineup that anyone should be proud to shoot with. And at a fairly reasonable price.

If you want to go a step further add in a re-vamped DFA 31, 43 and 77 plus DFA 50 macro and DFA 100 macro. What else would we need?

What do you think? Does Pentax have the guts to break the 'rules'?

04-17-2013, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
FF camera without FF lens?
I'm the other way round, FF lenses without FF camera.

I live in hope.
04-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'm the other way round, FF lenses without FF camera.
Considering the price curve on used F and FA lenses, I think a lot of people are stocking up on FF lenses.
04-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Would a camera company take a chance and release a new FF camera without any native FF lens support?
No, a camera is useless without a lens.
I'm not sure how would that apply to Pentax, though... native K-mount "FF" lenses won't just disappear (and a Pentax FF will be launched together with new lenses).

04-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If they wish, they can lunch a FF camera along with 24-105 f/4 (something similar). 55 f1.4 is already there.

Pentax shall provide a future road map for FF lens (24-70 / 70-200 f2.8 and some DFA primes as you mentioned). But I think, it is a remote possibility..

K3 is going to be 24 MP crop!! I Guess .. though I wish it should be a FF

Last edited by Dynamo; 04-18-2013 at 12:01 AM.
04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Banned

Well if Sigma would add the 120-300mm/f2.8 lens to that bunch then you do have some nice lenses to buy with that camera.
04-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There are rumors of collaboration with Tamron, and I'm sure there will be lenses if a camera is launched.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm sure there will be lenses if a camera is launched
If you don't mind Sigma gray we already have a full lineup: 12mm to 200mm in modern, ready to go glass.
04-17-2013, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are rumors of collaboration with Tamron, and I'm sure there will be lenses if a camera is launched.
Yesterday I posted a half-baked idea that Ricoh could purchase Sigma - it is a family-owned business and the founder/patriarch passed away last year. Responses were dismissive for obvious reasons, but maybe there's something to think about.
04-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The 31 Ltd is still one of the most amazing lenses ever produced. It would be great to have an FF body to see what it can really do. It's still good enough to perform a the next level..( 24 MP or 36 MP FF sensors.)
04-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What do you mean by "old FF" lenses? The A series and older, or even the FA lenses?
Because there are still a bunch of FF lenses in production. FA 35mm, FA 50mm, DFA 50mm macro, DFA 100mm macro, FA 31mm ltd, FA 43mm ltd, FA 77mm ltd.. Now sure, they are missing wider than 30mm and anything longer than 100mm, but Pentax has a history of great lenses, I'm sure updating their designs to digital (improved coatings, new hood, improved focus mechanism, quick shift) won't be very hard. Some of the current DA designs have also been shown to work on FF and could easily be turned into DFA. I wouldn't worry about it. I also think that if Pentax releases a FF, they will probably add at least two FF zoom lenses and possibly a couple primes. And the third party lenses that OP mentioned fill in all the gaps.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-17-2013 at 10:12 AM.
04-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What do you mean by "old FF" lenses? The A series and older, or even the FA lenses?
Because there are still a bunch of FF lenses in production. FA 35mm, FA 50mm, DFA 50mm macro, DFA 100mm macro, FA 31mm ltd, FA 43mm ltd, FA 77mm ltd.. Now sure, they are missing wider than 30mm and anything longer than 100mm, but Pentax has a history of great lenses, I'm sure updating their designs to digital (improved coatings, new hood, improved focus mechanism, quick shift) won't be very hard. Some of the current DA designs have also been shown to work on FF and could easily be turned into DFA. I wouldn't worry about it. I also think that if Pentax releases a FF, they will probably add at least two FF zoom lenses and possibly a couple primes. And the third party lenses that OP mentioned fill in all the gaps.
The FA 35/2 and FA 50/1.4 are not on the lens roadmap. As for the DAs becoming D FAs...Pentax has hinted that SR won't work with the DAs & FF. At this point any new FF glass will just be a Tamron with Pentax coatings...
04-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The FA 35/2 and FA 50/1.4 are not on the lens roadmap.
I think they are still in production and sold as new. They are missing in brochures, but so are the FA limiteds.
And about the SR.. I've heard comments that even full frame lenses won't fit a full frame sensor with SR, but I've also read measurements that the SR movement is so small that they definitely would fit. So I don't quite know who to believe. Also, lets not forget that Pentax can try making a new type of SR that doesn't need as much space. But if you are right, that would be a major blow against Pentax FF. Even if you can just disable the SR for lenses with an image circle that is too small.

Edit: Amazon right now sells "Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL Lens with Case and Hood" for $354.44. Pretty cool. The lens looks super hot with that hood on. I want a knockoff of that hood for my DA 35mm.
Ha, I just looked at how much that FA 35mm costs on a European webstore.. After an 8% discount its 700,11 euro As much as the DA* 55mm f1.4, jeeze..

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-17-2013 at 11:03 AM.
04-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think they are still in production and sold as new. They are missing in brochures, but so are the FA limiteds.
And about the SR.. I've heard comments that even full frame lenses won't fit a full frame sensor with SR, but I've also read measurements that the SR movement is so small that they definitely would fit. So I don't quite know who to believe. Also, lets not forget that Pentax can try making a new type of SR that doesn't need as much space. But if you are right, that would be a major blow against Pentax FF. Even if you can just disable the SR for lenses with an image circle that is too small.

Edit: Amazon sells "Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL Lens with Case and Hood" for $354.44. Pretty cool.
The DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL (Ver 1) is still sold as new. That doesn't mean it's still in production...Same for the DA 14 & DA 16-45. It is not currently possible to buy the 18-270 or the 560 from Pentax USA...

The FA 35 on Amazon seems to be old stock. It is the only lens that seller has other than the DA 50-200 (non-wr)...nice selection of Pentax binoculars though.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-17-2013 at 11:10 AM.
04-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some FF dSLRs will detect the lens used and "auto crop" the image to APS size for non FF lenses. That gives a useful transition to people with a collection of DA style lenses, and could allow time for Pentax to develop FF lenses.