Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #1

K3 and lens support

Will lenses designed for K5 work on K3, since the K5 has a smaller sensor?

04-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's a K3?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by prblack.6206 Quote
I doubt if the FF camera will be called a K-3. When Pentax does come out with a FF the lenses should work but there will be the issue of vignetting when working with certain lenses. I don't think the limited primes will be prone to vignetting.

Here comes the part I am not sure of. How much more room would we have using APS-C lenses on the FF? I suspect we will get APS-H width (1.2 or 1.3 crops) with most of our Pentax lenses. I believe most if not all Sigma lenses will be fully compatible with full frames.
04-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Sigma DC is for the smaller sensor but DG will work. The DAs 40 and 70 have passed tests by forum members, I cannot recall the 15/21 but I believe they were less FF-friendly.
I know that Sonys auto-crop when a crop-sensor lens is attached, and you get precious little choice about it regardless of the lens' ability to image a larger circle. Pentax may do that, but do the DA lenses provide that info I wonder? Also Pentax should know how Alphaphiles grumbled at that limitation, which could influence things. We'll see, presumably...

04-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Pentax may do that, but do the DA lenses provide that info I wonder?
The camera is able to identify modern lenses, including all DA lenses, so an automatic crop mode should be possible if they bother implementing it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by prblack.6206 Quote
Just do mike I have done.
Sell all your Pentax lenses and replace them with Sigma / Tamron and CZ lenses that are full frame lenses. If Pentax than releases a FF you can still use them (and not like some people suggest use DA lanses because they more or less cover the frame). If Pentax doesn't release a FF you still have good lenses.
If Pentax thinks that absolutely no communication whatever is a good idea, they should just take the consequences and sell less lenses because people are not sure what the future will bring.

When I talk to fellow Pentaxians I hear that I am not the only one to go for 3rd party stuff instead of Pentax lenses.
04-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
Just do mike I have done.
Sell all your Pentax lenses and replace them with Sigma / Tamron and CZ lenses that are full frame lenses. If Pentax than releases a FF you can still use them (and not like some people suggest use DA lanses because they more or less cover the frame). If Pentax doesn't release a FF you still have good lenses.
If Pentax thinks that absolutely no communication whatever is a good idea, they should just take the consequences and sell less lenses because people are not sure what the future will bring.

When I talk to fellow Pentaxians I hear that I am not the only one to go for 3rd party stuff instead of Pentax lenses.
That trick won't work if the Pentax FF also comes with a completely new mount though.

People should keep in mind that there has been no official statement that any Pentax FF camera is truly comming.

04-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You make it sound as if there are no current Pentax FF lenses.
04-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You make it sound as if there are no current Pentax FF lenses.
Indeed, no new, modern, incorporating latest technology FF lenses.
I prefer to put my money in modern stuff instead of old-timers.

I always see (read) people boasting with their old Pentax limiteds, but they are old.
And nobody can convince me that old lenses, with an old design and an old AF system and an old coating are better than new designs. Technology advances at such a speed that the Pentax FF lenses will soon be reduced to collectors' items belonging in a museum.
04-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That trick won't work if the Pentax FF also comes with a completely new mount though.

People should keep in mind that there has been no official statement that any Pentax FF camera is truly comming.
I still don't see why Pentax would need to come with a new mount.
Why should they?

If they don't come with a FF, I can still use the 3rd party lenses on an APS-C.
If Pentax/Ricoh would have any respect for their enthusiast DSLR customer base, they would at least make a clear statement and we would know what to do.
The fact is if they do come with a FF, I would like to buy one but I will regret having bought DA* lenses.
04-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still don't see why Pentax would need to come with a new mount.
Why should they?
Who knows, not all marketing decisions are logical, nor are they all convenient for the customer. In fact, it's the other way round.

They could "need" a new mounttTo make extra profit on customers buying new FF lenses, instead of using ancient legacy glass? (Why don't modern Pentax cameras don't come with an aperture coupling anymore?)

If Pentax/Ricoh would have any respect for their enthusiast DSLR customer base, they would at least make a clear statement and we would know what to do.
First Kitazawa said they would take the mirrorless route, because that's the future. Both for the FF and the 645DII. Then they stated that they will continue as DSLR centric.

They also said they aren't interested in FF at all. APSC will be their only large sensor. Then suddenly they're interested in FF after all.

So yes, I agree fully with you on the clarity of their intentions.
04-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I prefer to put my money in modern stuff instead of old-timers.
Not sure if troll or just naive. The 'old' FA and DFAs perform well when test sites examine them. I guess you must have a lab of your own.
04-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA Limited lenses are still available to purchase new, and the fact that they are not called DFA lenses, optimised for digital cameras, is irrelevant. These are legendary lenses that work perfectly on Pentax dSLRs. Their only limitation is the absence of quick shift focusing.
04-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not sure if troll or just naive. The 'old' FA and DFAs perform well when test sites examine them. I guess you must have a lab of your own.
I guess people that, when they disagree call somebody a troll or naive, are the ones that are trolling.
And I don't know how to call people who claim that in the last decade lens makers didn't make any progress (while in every other industries improvements are vast).

But I know that it is difficult for fanboys to admit that the turbulent past years have caused Pentax to become a follower instead of a leader.
04-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

in the last decade lens makers didn't make any progress
Optical instruments and designs don't change as quickly as IT. There is no Moore's Law for optics. Some of the sharpest lens designs are from Zeiss and Leica and may have changed little in 80 years because they don't need to.

Technology advances have brought improvements to the electronics in lenses (eg the AF motors) and the coatings, but not that much else has fundamentally changed in Nikon, Canon etc lenses over the last decade or two. What you have been seeing recently from Sigma and Tamron is a great effort to improve the quality of their lens designs and manufacturing QC, but that 'progress' is not revolutionary.

Novelty and loudest marketing buzz doesn't always equal important progress.