Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
fuf
Forum Member

I hope it'll remain just a rumor

Ugh, I really hope they will focus on making a really usable FF DSLR with OVF first and then at some point make a mirrorless FF (if they want). Rumors like this scare me

04-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Its said that the Sony Nex FF will be able to use alpha lenses as well as the e-mount lenses - noone seems to know how they will achieve that.
In other words, people made up such rumors about Olympus, Sony and now Pentax; but they wouldn't care to think if such a hybrid mount is even possible.
04-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But mirrorless may mean Sony Alpha 99 style 'mirrorless', but an otherwise conventional DSLR design.
There are rumours Sony has given up SLT(again highly unlikely). Maybe Sony will go mirror less.
04-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Can't wait to hear all the full-frame people start whining that they want it in a DSLR and not in a mirrorless.
Surely they are photographers who only want FF in DSLR. There are photographers who replace their pro DSLR with mirrorless M4/3 due to the size factor. I am in the process of acquiring M4/3 as a back up to my K5. If the rumour about Pentax mirror less FF is true, then it is definitely worth waiting for.

However, Pentax FF is sounding more like a myth.....

04-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #20
Banned

Unfortunately dxomark.com hasn't been very kind to the Leica M9... The M9 is probably the worst performing FF in their database, even in low-light.
Don't see all that many Leica's at sporting events. This is one of those areas where dxo will never quite be accurate
04-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
I love to see one...

Will be the first mirror less FF with interchangable lenses!!
Sony NEX VG900 is the first mirror less FF with interchangable lenses.

Last edited by Blue; 04-30-2013 at 12:36 PM.
04-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Don't see all that many Leica's at sporting events. This is one of those areas where dxo will never quite be accurate
...if you take their overall score as gospel, for instance, you're misleading yourself.

However, DxO is very good at measuring camera sensors and I do take their measurements at face value, but not their 'calculated' conclusions for sensors, like overall score. Their lens measurements are basically worthless for me.

Back to Leica:

I've never seen a Leica in the field.

The sensor they use is poor in low light (sunsets, etc), poor in dynamic range, and poor in color depth. There's nothing that the Leica *camera* is 'good' at other than being light.

Sure, I could probably have a super-sharp setup for $20k that doesn't weigh a lot. But, honestly the Ricoh version probably competes with the Leica in terms of IQ even with the huge sensor size discrepancy. The Pentax cameras NOW are better than the Leica now, if Pentax offers a full-frame it will mop the floor with the Leica.
04-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
Lucky sod
Yes, I am lucky. The RX1 is undoubtedly the most enjoyable and addicting camera that I have ever owned. The construction is jewel-like, and the amazingly compact body beckons to be used. The output, to say the least, is phenomenal. I love my K-5 and FA Limited lenses, but the RX1 is most definitely on a higher plane. If Pentax could put the same (or updated) 24MP sensor in a FF camera, I would be interested. And now that I have experienced a mirroless camera, I am inclined to believe that they are the wave of the future. I actually enjoy composing with the rear LCD screen. Except when shooting in very bright light, I do not miss an eye level viewfinder. However, I do have an EVF for the RX1 on order, mainly for sunny conditions. Also, having a live histogram is invaluable for getting the correct exposure with the first shot. No more guessing and re-taking the same pics over and over.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.
04-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
If Pentax could put the same (or updated) 24MP sensor in a FF camera, I would be interested.
It is not impossible as Pentax K01 is a mirror less interchangable APS c. It is just a matter if Pentax wants to produce a FF mirror less, which is not easy given the limitations.
04-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Yes, I am lucky. The RX1 is undoubtedly the most enjoyable and addicting camera that I have ever owned. The construction is jewel-like, and the amazingly compact body beckons to be used. The output, to say the least, is phenomenal. I love my K-5 and FA Limited lenses, but the RX1 is most definitely on a higher plane. If Pentax could put the same (or updated) 24MP sensor in a FF camera, I would be interested. And now that I have experienced a mirroless camera, I am inclined to believe that they are the wave of the future. I actually enjoy composing with the rear LCD screen. Except when shooting in very bright light, I do not miss an eye level viewfinder. However, I do have an EVF for the RX1 on order, mainly for sunny conditions. Also, having a live histogram is invaluable for getting the correct exposure with the first shot. No more guessing and re-taking the same pics over and over.

Rob
Rob, thanks for speaking up about this. I always like the simplicity of my first Canon PS, but the sensor just wasn't up to the job. Then i got my Nex camera with an APS sensor and liked it. I can well believe that a FF sensor would be even grander in a PS chasis.

I think one advantage of shooting via an LCD screen is one is aware from their peripheral vision of people or vehicles that are about to cross the camera's frame. For street shooting, that is no small advantage. I know that on Pentax Forums, that many photographers consider any subsitution of a display for an optical view finder to be sort of sacrilegious. But its like anything else, there are pros and cons to either framing approach. When i'm using my K5, i enjoy using my optical viewfinder and the greater stability, when i'm using my Nex camera, there is greater freedom of framing and anticipating shots. One doesn't have to be better than another, they are just alternate approaches to framing.

I'm waiting for either Pentax or Sony to come out with a mirrorless FF but with an interchangeable lens. But i see the point of an RX1 as well - enjoy it!!!

phil
05-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know that on Pentax Forums, that many photographers consider any subsitution of a display for an optical view finder to be sort of sacrilegious.
They consider it sacrilegion only because such users are sitting on top of a mountain of K-mount glass. Their thought pattern: "No OVF --> no mirror --> obsolete mirrorbox --> shorter registry distances--> new mount --> OH NO! My lenses!!"

I'm waiting for either Pentax or Sony to come out with a mirrorless FF but with an interchangeable lens.
Same here. An FF ILC, preferably with an eyelevel EVF, would be a typically Pentaxy off-beat black-sheepish thing to do. I would love it.
05-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
An FF ILC, preferably with an eyelevel EVF, would be a typically Pentaxy off-beat black-sheepish thing to do. I would love it.
So a FF NEX-7 clone, but K-mount? I could live with that.
05-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So a FF NEX-7 clone, but K-mount? I could live with that.
I myself could easily live with using my K-mount glass with an adapter. AF teleconverters can transmit the screwdrive movement. So such an adapter should be able to do the same.

Last edited by Clavius; 05-01-2013 at 02:36 AM.
05-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Same here. An FF ILC, preferably with an eyelevel EVF, would be a typically Pentaxy off-beat black-sheepish thing to do. I would love it.
I would love it weather it is Sony (though i don't have Sony gear) or Pentax. Maybe there will be an adapter for my ZM lenses with Sony offering.

I love the concept of RX1 but my favourite FL is 50mm.
05-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #30
Banned

I agree, i'd like to see it also. I think its far more likely that the rumors are true about Sony producing a mirrorless Nex FF camera. Its said that the Sony Nex FF will be able to use alpha lenses as well as the e-mount lenses - noone seems to know how they will achieve that.

So Pentax FF will either face competition from Sony if its mirrorless or Cannikon if its a DSLR design.

I think that a Pentax mirrorless is even more unlikely than a Pentax FF DSLR. But Ricoh's impact is the joker card in this decision. Ricoh's camera engineers could contribute a lot of expertise to any Pentax mirrorless camera. What interesting photographic times we live in.
I use both Sony alpha lenses and e mount lenses on my Sony NEX-VG900 along with my Pentax K mount lenses in both full frame and APS-C mode.