Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax mirrorless FF?

Another rumour?

The (impossible?) Pentax FF mirrorless camera rumor! | Mirrorless Rumors

Personally i don't think it will happen....but will be really excited if there is one!

04-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
That would be genius!!!

Personally i don't think it will happen....but will be really excited if there is one!
The lower you set the bar, the least likely you are to be disappointed. Sad that we have to apply that rule to Pentax.
04-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
I love to see one...

Will be the first mirror less FF with interchangable lenses!!
04-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I doubt it's true, but it would be the best move that the company has made in more than twenty years. Just so long as the K-01 design remains a "special model" consigned to history. You'd still get a lot of whingeing though:
  • No optical viewfinder
  • Crippled mount
  • 24Mpx rather than 36Mpx (or 36Mpx rather than 24Mpx)
  • Not suitable for shooting Formula 1 / high school football / birds in flight / whatever other imagined deficiency the particular whinger sees
  • Etc.

04-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Will be the first mirror less FF with interchangable lenses!!
Umm, Leica M9?

But mirrorless may mean Sony Alpha 99 style 'mirrorless', but an otherwise conventional DSLR design.
04-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Umm, Leica M9?
Yes, the M9 sure is in the same league as Pentax...?!?
04-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
I doubt it's true, but it would be the best move that the company has made in more than twenty years. Just so long as the K-01 design remains a "special model" consigned to history. You'd still get a lot of whingeing though:
  • No optical viewfinder
  • Crippled mount
  • 24Mpx rather than 36Mpx (or 36Mpx rather than 24Mpx)
  • Not suitable for shooting Formula 1 / high school football / birds in flight / whatever other imagined deficiency the particular whinger sees
  • Etc.
I own a Sony RX1 with a 24MP FF sensor, and I can assure you that 24MP is quite a lot and represents a significant IQ bump from the K-5's 16MP sensor. Not many people need 36MP of resolution, and it does come at a price. But you are right. There will be cries for 36MP.

Rob

04-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Umm, Leica M9?

But mirrorless may mean Sony Alpha 99 style 'mirrorless', but an otherwise conventional DSLR design.
M9 most certainly does have a mirror. How do you think you see the focusing patch in the viewfinder? It's not a reflex mirror (which I think just means "leaning backwards" not "moving out of the way" as in "twin lens reflex" where the mirror is fixed) but the Leica M is still a very different beast from what the rest of the world thinks of as "mirrorless".

SLTs use a reflex mirror as well. I wish Sony would use the term pellicle rather than "SLT". "Single lens translucent". What? The lens is translucent? Lets light through? Unlike any other lens? You may compose your shot using data read from the sensor with the A99, but it's not only inaccurate to call the A99 mirrorless, it also goes against the common understanding of the term when applied to digital cameras.
04-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I own a Sony RX1 with a 24MP FF sensor.

Rob
Lucky sod
04-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well.. wow. A hybrid mount that takes current K mount and also newer shorter flange lenses (new XS??).. sounds super interesting. And full frame. Can't wait to hear all the full-frame people start whining that they want it in a DSLR and not in a mirrorless.
04-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
SLTs use a reflex mirror as well. I wish Sony would use the term pellicle rather than "SLT".
That term might recall the Canon Pellix - which used a pellicle mirror in about 1966. Might not be the image of new technology that Sony likes to push. So they insist it isn't "pellicle."
04-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Banned

Well maybe in basic the same thing that Olympus is thinking about to connect micro4/3th to the old system 4/3th.
04-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, the M9 sure is in the same league as Pentax...?!?
I doubt the M9 is anywhere near any Pentax offering, seeing as the Pentax FF would be even better than the K-5 in all likelihood... it'll probably use the D600 sensor.
04-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I doubt the M9 is anywhere near any Pentax offering
Unfortunately dxomark.com hasn't been very kind to the Leica M9... The M9 is probably the worst performing FF in their database, even in low-light.

04-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Another rumour?

The (impossible?) Pentax FF mirrorless camera rumor! | Mirrorless Rumors

I agree, i'd like to see it also. I think its far more likely that the rumors are true about Sony producing a mirrorless Nex FF camera. Its said that the Sony Nex FF will be able to use alpha lenses as well as the e-mount lenses - noone seems to know how they will achieve that.

So Pentax FF will either face competition from Sony if its mirrorless or Cannikon if its a DSLR design.

I think that a Pentax mirrorless is even more unlikely than a Pentax FF DSLR. But Ricoh's impact is the joker card in this decision. Ricoh's camera engineers could contribute a lot of expertise to any Pentax mirrorless camera. What interesting photographic times we live in.