Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Will there ever be a Pentax Lens coffee cup???? Does Pentax even make a lens big enough for a good coffee cup?
I'd settle for a DA Limited espresso cup or shot glass.

04-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #17

I'd like a FF with the shutter speed dial old school.
04-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I'd like a FF with the shutter speed dial old school.
And aperture control returned to the lens.......
04-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And aperture control returned to the lens.......
I think it would be better to put it on the camera instead of the lens. A ring around the lens mount that could be configured to control aperture (but other things too).

But IMO an old school shutter speed dial would ruin Pentax excellent ergonomics, and with it Pentax would have to remove some of the best features on their cameras. And you have to let go of the grip every time you have to change shutter speed. It will probably not be possible to fit all shutter speed on the dial, so there has to be a second controller for setting long shutter speeds, and if you want to set shutter speed in 1/2 or 1/3 stops you probably have to use a third controller for that.

With a ring around the lens mount, and dual wheels as of today it would be possible to control aperture, shutter speed and ISO simultaneously.

05-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Pentax are in a unique situation re' FF. They could develop a new mount, a new curved sensor and a new range of FF lenses to go with that sensor. To miss the opportunity would be a big mistake.
05-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax are in a unique situation re' FF. They could develop a new mount, a new curved sensor and a new range of FF lenses to go with that sensor. To miss the opportunity would be a big mistake.
Curved sensor? Not in Ricoh's budget and the Pentax brand placement. If Pentax abandons k-mount it loses its customer base. A new mirror less mount does not guarantee sales at all, even if FF. It's not working too well even in APS-C for Canon EOS-M, and both Olympus and Sony are bleeding $$$.

Myth: new lens mounts do not = new sales opportunities. The Q has a pretty dismal sales record. My local store has never even stocked one.
05-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I would personally prefer a FF MILC rather than a DSLR, I don't think it this where Pentax can make money.

MILC sales are not that good :
http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/mirrorless-shipments-down.html
05-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
While I would personally prefer a FF MILC rather than a DSLR, I don't think it this where Pentax can make money.

Mirrorless Shipments Down Year-to-Year | Sans Mirror ? mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan
It seems the market is real down at the moment. When sales go down, shipments from factory's go down since inventory is not leaving shops. What I also see overhere is camerashops taking as less stock as possible. Overhere even a bigger sales shop takes only one 7D in the house, since it can order new stock and delivered to the shop 5 days a week.

05-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Curved sensor? Not in Ricoh's budget and the Pentax brand placement. If Pentax abandons k-mount it loses its customer base. A new mirror less mount does not guarantee sales at all, even if FF. It's not working too well even in APS-C for Canon EOS-M, and both Olympus and Sony are bleeding $$$.

Myth: new lens mounts do not = new sales opportunities. The Q has a pretty dismal sales record. My local store has never even stocked one.
Fuji is doing pretty well, and no where close to "bleeding $$$". Olympus is still recovering from a couple billion $$$ in corporate fraud and money laundering by its executives. All of their books have been falsified for the past few years. As far as camera sales go, Olympus has exceeded K-mount in sales and has been gaining 3rd party support while K-mount has lost 3rd party support. X-mount is doing very, very well.

Sony has been bleeding money in the DSLR (A-mount) sales. The E-mount has been a big hit for the company as far as sales go, and they have had repeated problems in meeting demand for the premium E-mount products like the CZ 24mm and the NEX-7 when it was first released.

Pentax has been loosing its customer base for years. They have been bought as sold twice in the last 10 years. A new mount doesn't mean that K-mount goes away. Pentax has had more mounts than Canon or Nikon. They have had the 110, 135, 6x4.5, 6x7 and now the Q.

There is an advantage to developing specialized products for the market. Fuji has done an amazing job of coming out of nowhere and developing a specialized tool for the market. Pentax could have done that. IT could have been Pentax that as winning awards and finding its way into the bags of professionals around the world. My local pro-store now stocks Fuji X-mount products...... No Pentax in sight.
05-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote

Mirrorless Shipments Down Year-to-Year | Sans Mirror ? mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan
First Qtr of last year (2012) saw the release of the OMD-E-5, Fuji X-Pro 1, and NEX-7. Three of the hottest selling cameras of any line. There have been not really new MILC to ship in the first Qtr of 2013 other than the Fuji XE1.
05-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

FF mirrorless that accepts K mount and perhaps shorter flange?
C'mon... Just do it already! Take a Sony Nex 6 (change to FF sensor), slap on an LX styled body, ship it out with a K mount adapter with every purchase, priced @ ~US$2000 and there we have it!
Couldn't be that hard right? What's taking you so long.....?
05-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I predict there will not be a new Mount.

At least not at the expense of existing Mounts.
05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #28
Pentaxian

A curved sensor means it won't work except with a new range of lenses, specifically designed for it. This is no opportunity for Pentax.

People, there are enough mounts on the market already. Why are you insisting on Pentax launching yet another one? I'm sure there is a MILC system out there, just perfect for your needs...
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Fuji is doing pretty well, and no where close to "bleeding $$$". Olympus is still recovering from a couple billion $$$ in corporate fraud and money laundering by its executives. All of their books have been falsified for the past few years. As far as camera sales go, Olympus has exceeded K-mount in sales and has been gaining 3rd party support while K-mount has lost 3rd party support. X-mount is doing very, very well.

Sony has been bleeding money in the DSLR (A-mount) sales. The E-mount has been a big hit for the company as far as sales go, and they have had repeated problems in meeting demand for the premium E-mount products like the CZ 24mm and the NEX-7 when it was first released.

Pentax has been loosing its customer base for years. They have been bought as sold twice in the last 10 years. A new mount doesn't mean that K-mount goes away. Pentax has had more mounts than Canon or Nikon. They have had the 110, 135, 6x4.5, 6x7 and now the Q.

There is an advantage to developing specialized products for the market. Fuji has done an amazing job of coming out of nowhere and developing a specialized tool for the market. Pentax could have done that. IT could have been Pentax that as winning awards and finding its way into the bags of professionals around the world. My local pro-store now stocks Fuji X-mount products...... No Pentax in sight.
Fuji camera is in the red, even with the BoJ's QE driving down the yen. Fuji has more value tied up in P&S than any other brand with more dedicated models at more price points. Products like the X series are very, very niche and only survive via internal cost shifting from a larger base.

Sony Imaging is also a money loser. Don't get me on about Sony which is behind only Dell and RIM in lost retail value over the last decade.

Just because there is lots if hobby hype does not mean profitability follows.
05-01-2013, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

Nothing is ever guaranteed.

A new curved sensor design would allow much better/cheaper lenses. My point was that because they have currently no current line-up of FF apart from the FA lenses, DFA 100 and the DA*200mm there is an opening for a possible new beginning and to not consider this would be foolish. But there's always someone who wants to shoot those things down by hanging on to the past.

Manufacturing a camera for the current owners of legacy lenses is not the way to maximize profits. The lenses are where the real profit is made by a company and they should consider a new market.