Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's something that would make me sell all my current gear to fund the FF body.

05-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some insights into Fujifilm:

Fujifilm Yearly Financials | Sans Mirror ? mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Even despite the success of the X-series, Fuji's camera division is not financially successful. This is a relatively low margin, capital and labour intensive, fiercely competitive industry.
05-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Some insights into Fujifilm:

Fujifilm Yearly Financials | Sans Mirror ? mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Even despite the success of the X-series, Fuji's camera division is not financially successful. This is a relatively low margin, capital and labour intensive, fiercely competitive industry.
1. Thom is not the best source for anything.
2. The R&D costs of a new system have to be recovered before profits are seen. Fuji probably has 3+ years of R&D expenses for the X-mount.
3. Sales of MILC for 1st qtr of 2013 are lower than sales of 1st qtr 2012 because in the 1st qtr of 2012 the the NEX-7, XP1, GX1, & E-5 OMD all shipped. The new product cycle plays a huge role in sales. If Fuji is on a 2 year product cycle with the XP1 then you will see a spike in sales every two years and a drop every other year.

I don't know how taxes work in Japan, but in the USA you don't really want to show very much profit.
05-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't tend to buy into this notion: while it'd be doable, Pentax's strong suit is in being a *camera* maker, not an electronics company. They'd do better to set themselves apart with a great viewfinder, ergo, and mechanicals. They can also make their FF smaller because they aren't trying to make the whole shutter wag at 10fps with a beefy computer to handle the data so fast.

05-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I don't tend to buy into this notion: while it'd be doable, Pentax's strong suit is in being a *camera* maker, not an electronics company. They'd do better to set themselves apart with a great viewfinder, ergo, and mechanicals. They can also make their FF smaller because they aren't trying to make the whole shutter wag at 10fps with a beefy computer to handle the data so fast.
Wagging shutters... ..beefy CPU's.. sounds like a dog of a camera.

One can hope it doesn't go "woof" when out and about doing Street Shooting.
05-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Nothing is ever guaranteed.

A new curved sensor design would allow much better/cheaper lenses. My point was that because they have currently no current line-up of FF apart from the FA lenses, DFA 100 and the DA*200mm there is an opening for a possible new beginning and to not consider this would be foolish. But there's always someone who wants to shoot those things down by hanging on to the past.

Manufacturing a camera for the current owners of legacy lenses is not the way to maximize profits. The lenses are where the real profit is made by a company and they should consider a new market.
Brand this new camera a Pentax and it's "lunacy" and "betrayal". Brand it Ricoh and it would be genius. I wonder if they could sell a high quality adapter to correct for the curved sensor for legacy glass.
05-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Wagging shutters... ..beefy CPU's.. sounds like a dog of a camera.

One can hope it doesn't go "woof" when out and about doing Street Shooting.
Why not. Measurebators gripe about resolution figures they never even intend to see in hardcopy.

RML's Rule One Of Photography: Get The Shot.

The rest is light and texture and stuff. I just want the viewfinder. To work with.

Quite frankly, I'd rather they uncripple the K-mount so we can use M glass than worry what others say about 'is this glass good enough.'
I used to chunk around an old 6x7 to shoot weddings. Too damn big, not the most suitable mechanism for the purpose (speaking of big flappy mirrors) I didn't do this to 'compete' with anyone, ...I did this cause the results were *beauty.* K?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-04-2013 at 10:45 PM.
05-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Why not. Measurebators gripe about resolution figures they never even intend to see in hardcopy.

RML's Rule One Of Photography: Get The Shot.

The rest is light and texture and stuff. I just want the viewfinder. To work with.

Quite frankly, I'd rather they uncripple the K-mount so we can use M glass than worry what others say about 'is this glass good enough.'
I used to chunk around an old 6x7 to shoot weddings. Too damn big, not the most suitable mechanism for the purpose (speaking of big flappy mirrors) I didn't do this to 'compete' with anyone, ...I did this cause the results were *beauty.* K?
My post was meant to be a joke...