Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-mount mirrorless....FF

Well I made a thread about it some time ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/189624-24-megapixel-fu...11-coming.html
Creating a Full Frame K-mount camera!

Not to many enthousiast people that time.

Is Leica coming with that same LiveView-only camera with M-mount?
Leica teases 'Mini M' for 11th June release: Digital Photography Review
Basicly the same idea, except a different mount because it is a different company.

05-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Leica's Mini M(e)?

It looks like someone at Leica thinks that diluting the M brand is a great idea. They will have the M, then the Mini M, Micro M and Nano M....
05-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
If it is a Leica with APSc and M mount,.... personally i will rather get a XE1 with adaptor to use my M mount lenses.

If it is a Leica FF with no RF but optional EVF, then it will be good news for Leica fan if it is priced around 3 to 4K. However, i am not certain how much Leica can simplify the mini to cut cost from M other than getting rid of RF mechanism?

As for pentax, i personally love to see a FF K mount but have little faith in it ever happen....

Last edited by Bestzoom; 05-25-2013 at 04:10 AM.
05-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Someone is going to make a mirrorless full frame ILC camera at some point. Maybe Leica wants to reclaim camera sales from the people using their lenses on NEX cameras.

05-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Leica's Mini M(e)?

It looks like someone at Leica thinks that diluting the M brand is a great idea. They will have the M, then the Mini M, Micro M and Nano M....
Well, you could say they did that a long time ago, when they brought out the re-badged Panasonics, but it seems to have done their reputation no real harm. There are those who disparage Leicas as being rich people's toys or being for camera snobs, but I don't think anyone would pass up their optics if they were offered at the right price. They have their following, but they're clearly not for everyone. We'll have to see what the Mini M is all about, to make a fair judgment about it.

However, the difference between a non-viewfinder Leica with an M-mount and a K-01 or other K-mount mirrorless, I think, largely comes down to the registration distance, namely 27.8 versus 45.46 mm. That 17.66 mm means the body can be that much thinner, and no matter what the virtues of the K-01 slimness isn't one of them and that's the aesthetic of today, whether we like it or not. Marc Newsome, for all his detractors, at least tried to make a virtue out of the body thickness - whether or not he succeeded is a matter of personal taste, but it's clear that not a lot of people thought so.

If Pentax want to make a "full frame" mirrorless that sells well, they will have to address the impression of size in some way, IMHO, and retaining the mirror box in the styling isn't going to remove that impression. A new mount is the only answer, although I believe it would have to be compatible with the K-mount through a bespoke adapter in order to be a success and draw on the existing range of lenses. The M-mount versions of the FA Limited lenses are proof that Pentax can successfully adapt existing optics to shorter registration distances, and a similar range of lenses dedicated to the new mount would have to be developed over time, if this course were to be followed.

Personally, I don't see this happening in the short-term, because of the additional work that would have to be done on the lens range, but I would think (or hope) that Pentax managers might have already done this sort of thinking, in determining their direction for a possible new sensor format line of cameras. Given that, they will have balanced the costs and timelines for lens development against market considerations, in coming to a decision.

However, Pentax does seem to be thinking "outside the square" when it comes to new products, so who knows? In spite of its (ongoing) detractors here, the Q has been judged a success (I don't think we'd have the Q10 if it wasn't) and the K-01 has probably been judged to have failed at its original price point, at least. In its niche, I would think from initial reactions that the GR will be a success, and perhaps that's a clue to the future Pentax form - a larger sensor in an existing range, rather than a radical departure from accepted forms. We'll see, and hopefully in the not-too-distant future. One thing is certain from the past couple of years' outcomes - they're not going to rush out a half-baked product just to satisfy the impatient desires of a few people here.
05-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Someone is going to make a mirrorless full frame ILC camera at some point. Maybe Leica wants to reclaim camera sales from the people using their lenses on NEX cameras.

mirrorless full frame ILC Sony NEX-VG900 with the Leica Summilux-M 50 ASPH lens, using an NEX-to-M adapter ring
05-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Of course, you are right, but that form factor doesn't work for everyone. I would consider it if the rumor mill weren't suggesting a more stills focused camera is coming next year.
05-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would like and Pentax FF milc... but they'd better make it with a darn good evf to, or hybrid rangefinder/evf... Fujifilm's implementation in the x-pro 1 is nice but from what i read it has its quirks. But still, its a nice idea for an enthusiast camera.

05-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think this Mini M will have any EVF.
05-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If it doesn't have built in EVF, I'm sure it at least have EVF as optional accessory.
05-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If it doesn't have built in EVF, I'm sure it at least have EVF as optional accessory.
Or they'll just expect you to use a, hotshoe mounted, optical finder paired to each lens.
05-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
IIRC, the X1 didn't have an optional EVF, but the X2 certainly does, and it appears to be the same one as the new M accepts. It is therefore a reasonable assumption that, if the Mini M doesn't have an inbuilt optical or electronic VF, that this one will fit it, as well.
05-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Sony is moving very rapidly in this direction. In my opinion the RX-1 was a "feeler" to test the waters and build a chassis for a later interchangeable lens camera, similar to how Fuji used the X100 to springboard their interchangeable lineup. For that matter the RX-1 is basically a NEX-ified X100, apart from lacking an OVF and being full frame it is a pretty similar concept.
05-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul MaudDib Quote
Sony is moving very rapidly in this direction. In my opinion the RX-1 was a "feeler" to test the waters and build a chassis for a later interchangeable lens camera, similar to how Fuji used the X100 to springboard their interchangeable lineup. For that matter the RX-1 is basically a NEX-ified X100, apart from lacking an OVF and being full frame it is a pretty similar concept.
The 35mm F2.0 Zeiss for the RX1 would only work on a fixed lens body. The rumor is of a full frame E mount NEX-9 for full frame E mount lenses in 2014.