06-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sony lousing money in every division except in gaming and insurance

06-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #107
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Actually they lost money after taxes, and the camera division blows. Probably they won't be making cameras in 10 years, if they are still around as a hardware vendor...

Sony’s earnings no longer look terrible — still expects $1.4B profit for fiscal 2012 | VentureBeat
There is a better chance of the moon crashing into earth in the next 10 years than Sony not being a hardware vendor in 10 years.
06-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Like with the pentax 6x7 camera?
Sure; but it also happened on the LX camera.
06-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like with the pentax 6x7 camera?
Or the LX? (Credit - Asahiflex)

06-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Sure; but it also happened on the LX camera.
I'm not into 135film camera's so didn't knew.
But why would you want it, with the 6x7 one had and the other didn't had metering and you could use it sort of at the waist level wthout a VF if i'm correct but since metering is standard these day i;m missing the point.
06-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or the LX? (Credit - Asahiflex)
Double post
06-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
There is a better chance of the moon crashing into earth in the next 10 years than Sony not being a hardware vendor in 10 years.
Sales increased by 6.9 percent, mostly due to better sales in its mobile and motion picture segments. While most of Sony’s business saw reduced sales, the mobile segment grew 94.4 percent and its movie segment grew 30 percent. But for Sony to truly turn its ship around, it will need to do something about falling sales in cameras, TVs, and games. (The latter will likely be fixed with the launch of the PlayStation 4, which could hit later this year.)

Mobile - notoriously fickle and rapidly changing technology
Movies (Sony Pictures - Columbia) - George Lucas and Steven Spielberg predict a complete implosion of the Hollywood business model in the next 5 years since profit is dependent on DVD sales, which haven't recovered from the financial crisis.

06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But why would you want it, with the 6x7 one had and the other didn't had metering and you could use it sort of at the waist level wthout a VF if i'm correct but since metering is standard these day i;m missing the point.
LX had interchangeable specialized viewfinders that were suited to macro, waist-level, sports/action, ground-level, magni, and regular prism VF's with and without a flash shoe and with and without extra adjustable diopter ranges.
06-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The only reason they are even afloat is they started selling off real estate last year.

Sony sells Tokyo building for $1.2 billion, year's second office sale | Reuters

Eventually they will run out of things to sell off and won't actually exist, except as a legal entity collecting media royalties, until they have to sell off the last of the IP to pay the lawyers.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Pentax and why the FF is taking so long to show up. Probably they are tight lipped with news since they didn't want to cannibalize k-50 sales.
06-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #115

Actually I take that back; the price bracketing doesn't make sense, there should be a k-3 in between there. Perhaps they are trying to release them in market order; k500 & k50, then k-3, then FF, then 645Dii
06-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #116
Veteran Member

I'm not into 135film camera's so didn't knew.
The LX metered even without the viewfinder.

I'd like a waist level viewfinder. I'd also like a really larger, dimmer viewfinder than most would find acceptable, and I'm willing to pay for it.
06-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Thanks for your answers, got it now
06-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
LX had interchangeable specialized viewfinders that were suited to macro, waist-level, sports/action, ground-level, magni, and regular prism VF's with and without a flash shoe and with and without extra adjustable diopter ranges.
I don't think that is still viable nowadays. With AF being so common now, the VF has only few functions: composing and mimicing the end result as closely as possible. Quickly and easily being outperformed by the LCD screen. Making the VF head for the way out.

The LX solution would be easier/better implementated with through Electronic viewfinders. Some very high resolution. And some lower, but very fast and bright. Some with more, some with less features. Specialized for macro, or studio-work. Big/small, etc...

I think the EVF could actually be the saviour of the VF.

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Actually I take that back; the price bracketing doesn't make sense, there should be a k-3 in between there. Perhaps they are trying to release them in market order; k500 & k50, then k-3, then FF, then 645Dii
Same here, but suddenly the exciting announcements stopped. (Yes, I'm very impatient.)
06-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Speaking of EVF, why not make an APS-C camera with a built in focal reducer where the mirror box used to be? All the legacy lenses will have the proper field of view, they'll sharpen up, and become 1 stop faster. It'd also have the extra advantage of keeping the sensor sealed from dust.

Focal reducers are getting rave reviews for the NEX system, and everybody seems really happy with Sigma's 18-35mm f1.8 (which is probably just a 24-50mm f2.8 with a focal reducer of some kind.)

Last edited by konraDarnok; 06-18-2013 at 04:20 AM.
06-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Speaking of EVF, why not make an APS-C camera with a built in focal reducer where the mirror box used to be? All the legacy lenses will have the proper field of view, they'll sharpen up, and become 1 stop faster. It'd also have the extra advantage of keeping the sensor sealed from dust.

Focal reducers are getting rave reviews for the NEX system, and everybody seems really happy with Sigma's 18-35mm f1.8 (which is probably just a 24-50mm f2.8 with a focal reducer of some kind.)
Then APS-C lenses might have to be used with TC to cover the whole sensor (or get the original FOV they are designed for).

If using focal reducer then IMO they work best as adapters as you then can choose from several mounts and also use the camera without focal reducer.