Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #46

This would be a great lens (similar to 120-300 2.8 from sigma) but only with FF coverage. In a world with a 6d selling under 2000$ and a lot of "cheap" pro grade lenses there is no other chance...

06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
1. True Full Frame 36x24, 16-24mp sensor (to allow for faster buffer/image transfer)
2. High RAW color depth and Dynamic range of 14.4 EV or better
3. Fabled automatic "crop" for DA Lenses (1.4 crop factor to produce a 25x18, 18Mpx RAW file)
21: USB3
22: Uses same battery as K5
23: AA batteries with optional battery grip

I admit... I started dreaming pretty high here.... its kind of a combination of LX, K5, D4, D800, 5DMKIII
Item 22 failed. battery drained already!
06-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by mihnea Quote
I think a high quality image, conventional camera, is the answer. I love my K-5II (i love the customised green button, the TAv mode, the raw fx button,that awesome DR and the specific workflow with this camera) and im very sorry i have to use sometimes my...canon (shh). Lets face it... K-5IIs has a better IQ than any canon made ever so just a larger sensor is more than enough for anything (and dual slot pleeese ). I dont know how many times i use those 39 cross type af points, but i used a lot the -3ev sensors from k-5ii. What we need is a larger sensonsor, in a k-5 like body and real pro zoom lenses. A K5ii with larger sensor and 12-24, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 could make Pentax brand the unbeatable choise for any professional.

And 1/8000 for...what? If i need 1/8000 i probably use a 1.4 lens wide open, for a facebokeh portrait...and i use a variable ND filter because 1/8000 is still too low. I can live with a 1/1000 camera...
My main fear is that people want a Pro level camera, but want to pay an entry level price. I hope that anyone who is serious is willing to pay for what they get - if your not willing to pay a pro level price, then you are probably not really needing a pro level camera, if your only willing to pay K5 - K5 II and K5 IIS prices then you are pretty much getting everything you could possibly need (not referring to you here mihnea - I love the K5, its a game changer in my eyes) but people need to get over this low price high end camera bit, if you are not willing to pay for a high end piece of kit then a high end piece of kit is not what you are going to get - I do agree though, if this sensor fits in a K5 (or even K5 with as monobody) then BOOM - I am IN.
06-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pabloHassan Quote
My main fear is that people want a Pro level camera, but want to pay an entry level price. I hope that anyone who is serious is willing to pay for what they get - if your not willing to pay a pro level price...
Due to yields an FF sensor is at least 2.45x more expensive than APS-C. Add in the costs for buffes and pipe circuitry and best case is 4-6x APS-C. Wastage for an FF sensor adds considerably more risk.

I've said it elsewhere but it bears repeating that the cost of the FF sensor + supporting circuitry is = to a K-500 kit alone.

Once you cross that threshold and put it in a body with pentaprism, odds are your customers are now higher-end anyway, so they will want (demand) all the pro features. Take some out, and suddenly 20% of your market dries up. Oops, prices have to go up again as a result.

FF looks to be well above $1,600 for quite awhile (5+ years now given current product cycles).

Also putting pressure on is the used market for pro bodies. D700's go for about $1,000 to $1,600 depending on shutter count. It's extremely hard to compete with that.

I am pretty sure that Pentax is looking at ways into the FF market, but it's not going to be cheap for loyalists. And there's not much one can do to innovate the DSLR format. Once you're into a mirror and a pentaprism with K-mount, that's 90% of the design. The DSLR is a very mature, sunk cost, formulaic market already.

06-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #50

New Image Sensor Tech Captures Better Photos By Ditching Silicon | Gizmodo Australia

This would be amazing
06-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #51
Banned

Photos: Gallery
wow!!
06-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #52
Veteran Member

This would be amazing
Alas, from the article:

QuoteQuote:
there’s no commercial method for manufacturing the new sensors just yet.
So we may have to wait a while for these '29 stops of dynamic range' sensors to find their way into actual consumer products.

06-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #53
Site Supporter

On the sensor, I'd like to see it at 30-36mp, and ISO 25-204,800. That's my only contribution, and that with alot of the other things listed would make me think really hard about buying one, especially if in the K5 form factor.
06-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
On the sensor, I'd like to see it at 30-36mp, and ISO 25-204,800
Are you serious?

EDIT: What for?
06-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #55

My main fear is that people want a Pro level camera, but want to pay an entry level price. I hope that anyone who is serious is willing to pay for what they get - if your not willing to pay a pro level price, then you are probably not really needing a pro level camera, if your only willing to pay K5 - K5 II and K5 IIS prices then you are pretty much getting everything you could possibly need (not referring to you here mihnea - I love the K5, its a game changer in my eyes) but people need to get over this low price high end camera bit, if you are not willing to pay for a high end piece of kit then a high end piece of kit is not what you are going to get - I do agree though, if this sensor fits in a K5 (or even K5 with as monobody) then BOOM - I am IN.
I think the 6d (price) level camera is what people need. I just want a ff sensor, with decent 6400iso (like any other ff in the last 5 years), a pro 70-200 2.8 and 16-35 2.8 for anything in this world, 2 card slots...i dont know why but the card is filling up exactly at the showstopper in a fashion show, maybe is just me...and the image quality, build quality and workflow of pentax, nor overpriced or underpriced. A smalbody,l 20mpx, 5fps, 11af (but sensitive) is what a lot of professionals need. Maybe in the future they can make a 1d style camera for some sport photographers...but not everyone is so unlucky so they need 14fps with mirror up to take the best picture (what a... )
06-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Are you serious?

EDIT: What for?
Both landscapes in very bright conditions (sometimes in the desert and at the beach) and shooting in fairly low light conventions at anime conventions. Can't use the flash during the masquerade. That's why on ISO. On the MP so I can crop like mad if needed.
06-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Landscape in bright conditions: CPL + ND filters
Extremely low light: K-5 @ ISO 12800 and push wisely in PP
For the K-5 sensitivity is hardware changed inthe ISO 100-1600 range. After that, it is all in camera software...
MP just to crop? just get closer or zoom in, MP counts when printing. YouŽd have to deal with huge files just in case you want to crop
06-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #58
Site Supporter

I have 8tb storage on my main computer, file size doesn't concern me. I can't always zoom or get closer. I also only take one pic at a time, so no machine gunning it for me. CPL + ND isn't always good in some conditions for me. I've scratched a lens changing filters out in the desert. The super high ISO overhead would give me less noise while retaining sharpness, plus I also am on a paranormal investigation team here, and lighting sucks doing some of those. Also, too bad they can't make one with only bulb and manual mode (maybe add one user mode), no video or auto modes needed for me. I want the absolute most from it. Also, no AA filter on mine please.
06-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #59

Oh yeah...i thing im going wrong. Everyone of us need 10-1,000,000 iso on a 60mpx sensor, 20fps (24 mirror up), 71 cross points....just to be sure you can make a photo in any conditions...at the end of the day, this means to be a professional.
06-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mihnea Quote
Oh yeah...i thing im going wrong. Everyone of us need 10-1,000,000 iso on a 60mpx sensor, 20fps (24 mirror up), 71 cross points....just to be sure you can make a photo in any conditions...at the end of the day, this means to be a professional.
Oh, and add Google glass functionality too!! Imagine having it tethered to it and leaving it switched on all the way and just waving the camera anywhere while saying "Take pic!"..

And voice command: "F8, take picture!" Or "zone focus @ 2m... Take picture!"

Howzat? LoL!