Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone heard of the latest FF rumor on Pentax Discuss Mail List?

so.... been like two days and I haven't see the news posted here, anyone heard of the latest FF rumor on Pentax Discuss Mail List?

I will re-post it here:

----- Beginning of quote ------------
"Usually well-informed French magazine R?ponses Photo has a short piece
on the K-50 and the K-500. But the really interesting bit of information
comes at the very end of the article:

"We would have hoped for some more audacity. But let's wait a little, as
it might well be that the end of the year will have a nice surprise in
store for us, in the semi-pro range, somewhere between the K-5II and the
645D..."

Ralf"

----- end of quote ------

06-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
it might well be that the end of the year will have a nice surprise
Not exactly the most definite news report I have ever seen. There may be a few Pentaxians somewhere who have not thought we might, possibly, depending on various things see a camera somewhat above the k-5II sometime by the end of 2013 or possibly 2014.

Still, a good rumor is a good rumor and I'm sure this one will be worth several thousand posts.
06-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not exactly the most definite news report I have ever seen. There may be a few Pentaxians somewhere who have not thought we might, possibly, depending on various things see a camera somewhat above the k-5II sometime by the end of 2013 or possibly 2014.

Still, a good rumor is a good rumor and I'm sure this one will be worth several thousand posts.
Sounds like they're talking about a new APS-C flagship.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
in the semi-pro range, somewhere between the K-5II and the 645D..."
"semi-pro" would indicate APS-C probably. But "between k-5II and the 645D" could also indicate FF. But I'm not sure if that quote is idle speculation, wishful thinking or a hint intended to start rumors.

At this point I find that I no longer really care. I have all the APS-C lenses I want or need and an assortment of FF lenses. I have looked and really do not find any Pentax FF lenses in the database that I would even want to purchase. If Pentax does come out with a FF and if I feel it is good enough to warrant moving to it then I'll need 24-70 zoom to go with my current FF primes. But there isn't one out there I want at this time so I'll just wait.

I would like the 31 and 77mm limiteds, but without quickshift I think I will wait and see if Pentax updates them. A 31mm limited with WR and quickshift would definitely trigger a renewal of LBA.

06-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
"semi-pro" would indicate APS-C probably. But "between k-5II and the 645D" could also indicate FF. But I'm not sure if that quote is idle speculation, wishful thinking or a hint intended to start rumors.

At this point I find that I no longer really care. I have all the APS-C lenses I want or need and an assortment of FF lenses. I have looked and really do not find any Pentax FF lenses in the database that I would even want to purchase. If Pentax does come out with a FF and if I feel it is good enough to warrant moving to it then I'll need 24-70 zoom to go with my current FF primes. But there isn't one out there I want at this time so I'll just wait.
For those who want FF camera from PENTAX, like me, is important ...:-) since I will have to decide if I should continue to "invest" in APS-C lenses (e.g. deciding if I should get the Sigma 18-35mm, Sigma 35mm f1.4, no interesting lenses from PENTX, sadly), or save the money for FF cameras and lenses (moving away from PENTAX or wait).

Not a single lens purchase since last year's Oct (I think), and every time I saw a lens in the marketplace that I want, I would think "I will wait and see what else PENTAX bring"...
06-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like they're talking about a new APS-C flagship.
Indeed, that's no FF rumor - just another misunderstanding.

There are reliable rumors about what should happen in the next months, I wouldn't believe anything else.
06-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It's only a matter of time before Pentax brings out a 24 MP APS-c that rivals the D600 in IQ. IF someone said the above to me, that would be the first thing I'd think.

06-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Regardless of what Pentax plans I'm not buying any APS-C lenses. I got the kit lens with my K-5, and added the 35 2.4 just to see how it compared to my SMC-M 35 2.0. I found no advantage to the new lens, and since I have all the old manual Pentax lenses I need, and shoot film Pentax more than digital, so buying APS-C makes no sense to me. I have bought a number of new lenses - but all for the 24x36 format to use with my Leica M9 and film Leicas. (identical use on both is a BIG plus for me)
If Pentax does come out with a FF digital it will replace my K-5 - but I don't plan new lenses in any case.
06-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's only a matter of time before Pentax brings out a 24 MP APS-c that rivals the D600 in IQ. IF someone said the above to me, that would be the first thing I'd think.
And differs in some respects from the D7100.
06-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Indeed, that's no FF rumor - just another misunderstanding.
That is no misunderstanding, that is a rumour.
There is no misunderstanding about something unexisting, unconfirmed, unspecified, vague.
06-30-2013, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Your post is a misunderstanding, as well. The "source" wasn't talking about a FF camera.
If the weather girl says it might be raining tomorrow, and someone takes that as "Pentax will announce a FF camera shortly", IMO it doesn't count as a FF rumour
06-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Your post is a misunderstanding, as well. The "source" wasn't talking about a FF camera.
I wasn't talking about FF either. Just about "unconfirmed, speculated something“.

However, I know it's hard to release ourselves from anything FF related on Pentax forums.
We should be called Pentax FForums.
06-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
We should be called Pentax FForums.
We have an entire sub-forum for that!

Relax - all will be clear in good time. If you really look at all the releases this year and at the features on the releases, Ricoh and Pentax engineers together are building on the base engineering they've inherited.
06-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We have an entire sub-forum for that!

Relax - all will be clear in good time. If you really look at all the releases this year and at the features on the releases, Ricoh and Pentax engineers together are building on the base engineering they've inherited.
|
|
I'm aware of that. If I were to acquire a company like Pentax, I'd establish a steady, 10 year development plan myself.
I hope the end of 2013 will mark the end of the largest gap filled with silence.
06-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I hope the end of 2013 will mark the end of the largest gap filled with silence.
In space, no one can hear you scream...

Apparently, Pentax can't hear the screaming going on here, so the above suggests they're in space. Hence, Pentax has been taken over by Aliens. Perhaps they're the Borg, and are attempting to assimilate us. That answers a few questions, and should satisfy any conspiracy theorists here (an oxymoron, I know: nothing will ever satisfy a conspiracy theorist).