Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'm sure it was very nice and fashionable, back then in history. Just like disco, bellbottom pants and the volswagen beetle. Lets leave it there.
Unhappily, they've all made successful comebacks, I regret to tell you.

06-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait, Spotmatic unfashionable? Come on, its the iconic SLR, the first image that pops to mind when someone says "film camera", the archetype, the platonic ideal of mechanic cameras!
If anything, I worry that if they make a modern version, it won't be all metal with genuine leatherette, but a weird plastic painted to look kind of similar.
06-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
A little bird - one who is rarely wrong about Pentax - told me the FF Pentax will be an exercise in retro-cool: styled like a Spotmatic, but with a K mount (therefore more like a KX) and sporting stop down / auto diaphragm M42 lens support with a dedicated K adapter. The standard lens will be a Ultra-Multi-Coated (U-M-C) Takumar 50/1.4 with an alternate choice of a FA K 24-105mm f/3.3-4.6 zoom.

The body features SR; the entire thing is made possible by Ricoh patented nano-electronics developed for proctological surgery. The sensor is 24MP sourced from Sony.

For modern tastes, the body comes with a removable grip/battery holder that extends the in-body battery life (approximately 40 shots per battery in-camera; 1000 shots with the grip).

The camera will be available in chrome and black; with a IIb version with a dedicated b&w sensor, a la Leica.

Availability early September.
would be nice except that the spotty auto diaphragm would interfere with the KAF2 mount power connectors. I could believe aperture coupling for K lenses but not M42 support. Sorry, the little bird is wrong
06-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Not where I live...

06-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wish Pentax would put out a teaser, or release some credible 'accidental' leaks somewhere about any new FF camera. People are going a bit crazy waiting for Pentax FF, if this thread is any guide. .
06-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
this fugly outdated contraption

'ems fighten' words round these parts...

Steve
06-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
...and with the exception of the beetle, the Spotmatic is from an earlier era, though bell bottoms were the style at the end of the Spotmatic production.

Steve
06-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #38
Site Supporter

For modern tastes, the body comes with a removable grip/battery holder that extends the in-body battery life (approximately 40 shots per battery in-camera; 1000 shots with the grip).
I presume you meant 400 shots rather than 40, right? :-)

Do you know if the grip will be a two-part grip, like the OM5? I would be strongly in favor of a proper grip rather than the flat front, but I don't think I'd want to make the camera any taller.

06-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Rangefinder fans got their Epson RD-1(s) and Fuji X100(s) digitals.
Will we ever see an affordable minimalist DSLR with classic film SLR-type controls?

Chris
06-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Rangefinder fans got their Epson RD-1(s) and Fuji X100(s) digitals.
Will we ever see an affordable minimalist DSLR with classic film SLR-type controls?

Chris
This has been my rant for some time. The RD-1 (built on existing Cosina technology at the time) is probably the best evidence that this is quite possible. The Cosina CT-1 platform (think Nikon FM10) might be a good place to start. With manual shutter cock and no AF or on-board flash(ala RD-1), I would expect that battery life would be good and weight would be low too.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-29-2013 at 10:43 AM.
06-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #41

Why on the earth i need a FF camera only with ring aperture control and manual focus? Excepting some landscapes you cant do too much things because you lose a lot of photos because of missing autofocus, aperture or shutter priority and a lot of other issues. A FF sensor mean by itself a lot of money...you can do more quality photos with a much more cheaper Q (btw, it is a really awesome camera)
06-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I don't know about Ricoh in the world of proctology, but Pentax is a major maker of colonoscopes (maybe second only to Olympus?)
That's why Hoya took over Pentax...

QuoteQuote:
In December 2006, Pentax started the process of merging with Hoya Corporation to form 'Hoya Pentax HD Corporation'.[5] Hoya's primary goal was to strengthen its medical-related business by taking advantage of Pentax's technologies and expertise in the field of endoscopes, intraocular lenses, surgical loupes, biocompatible ceramics, etc. It was speculated that Pentax's camera business could be sold off after the merger.
06-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I presume you meant 400 shots rather than 40, right? :-)
Nah, 40 because of the "Film Factor" -- they figure us retro-techno-geeks want the full analog of... well... analog photography

To that end, the camera has special "Film Modes" -- tri-x, Kodachrome, Fujichrome, etc. etc. Vintage film formulations from the 70s.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
would be nice except that the spotty auto diaphragm would interfere with the KAF2 mount power connectors. I could believe aperture coupling for K lenses but not M42 support. Sorry, the little bird is wrong
You would be right, but you neglect the Ricoh nanotechnology. This will be some high tech camera. I said a "special" M42 adapter. It has electrical contacts and a built-in aperture pusher motor. You lose SR with M42 lenses, unfortunately, as the sensor shifts forward to account for the 1.5 mm greater register distance.

Still this is the most retro-compatible SLR ever.
06-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mihnea Quote
Why on the earth i need a FF camera only with ring aperture control and manual focus?...you can do more quality photos with a much more cheaper Q (btw, it is a really awesome camera)
Apparently you don't if the Q serves your needs.

I shoot a lot with primitive gear (manual focus, no meter, and such) and almost never have issues with missed focus or poor exposure and I don't just shoot landscape. Now, it may simply be a matter of experience. I have been shooting that way for about 45 years, but I don't know that things were that different back-in-the-day.

Strangely enough, "pro" often means less rather than more.

Steve
06-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #45
Site Supporter

Still this is the most retro-compatible SLR ever.

ROFL!!!

Jussi, I hope you are having as much fun on this thread as I am!

Steve