Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The body features SR; the entire thing is made possible by Ricoh patented nano-electronics developed for proctological surgery.

06-28-2013, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Who better to serve up a camera to a bunch of arseholes like us than a company also serving the protocological community!
06-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
Banned

A little bird - one who is rarely wrong about Pentax - told me the FF Pentax will be an exercise in retro-cool: styled like a Spotmatic, but with a K mount (therefore more like a KX) and sporting stop down / auto diaphragm M42 lens support with a dedicated K adapter. The standard lens will be a Ultra-Multi-Coated (U-M-C) Takumar 50/1.4 with an alternate choice of a FA K 24-105mm f/3.3-4.6 zoom.

The body features SR; the entire thing is made possible by Ricoh patented nano-electronics developed for proctological surgery. The sensor is 24MP sourced from Sony.

For modern tastes, the body comes with a removable grip/battery holder that extends the in-body battery life (approximately 40 shots per battery in-camera; 1000 shots with the grip).

The camera will be available in chrome and black; with a IIb version with a dedicated b&w sensor, a la Leica.

Availability early September.
Assuming this rumour has credibility (which I'm not questioning one way or another), could someone please humour my ignorance to the Spotmatic / M42 lens system and explain, in modern parlance, what this camera might mean in terms of the myriad 'wishlists' for a new professional Pentax offering?

As I said, I have little knowledge of Spotmatic or M42 lens systems, and certainly don't own any legacy kit, so that is of little or no interest to me. What else about this are people saying "Oh THAT'S exciting"?
06-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I heard Pentax/Ricoh had contracted with Cosina for the body due to their previous work on the M-42 Bessaflex TM and experience porting that general platform as the basis for the Epson RD-1.

Steve

(...seems easy enough to me...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-28-2013 at 11:46 PM.
06-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Assuming this rumour has credibility (which I'm not questioning one way or another), could someone please humour my ignorance to the Spotmatic / M42 lens system and explain, in modern parlance, what this camera might mean in terms of the myriad 'wishlists' for a new professional Pentax offering?
As I said, I have little knowledge of Spotmatic or M42 lens systems, and certainly don't own any legacy kit, so that is of little or no interest to me. What else about this are people saying "Oh THAT'S exciting"?
If true, this may be a significant rehearsal of the past; Pentax shows it's absolutely adamant about its legacy, not only its K-mount legacy, but also M42 legacy. That kind of persistency in the market, and being proud of it, is matched not by many, say Leica's values are similar.

So this isn't anything else but a firm and very imaginative reassurance that Pentax is serious about its past, and about its future too. The styling would be certainly different than anything out there and would turn heads. Pentax really needs something quite unusual, something that will fill people's minds with great memories and persistent values. I saw the MX-1 trying to reiterate the similar message. But to spread it farther, Pentax must utter it louder, so we need 'louder' body, 'louder' sensor and 'louder' lenses too.

This is in striking contrast with the world of Sony's NEX, or the m4/3 world, for example, where persistency and truer values are none.

In addition, reintroducing the name Takumar to its lens lineup can only mean one message — absolute best of the best, as it was before, and as it is now. It is almost Biblical.

Whatever it turns out to be, I admit, it is very imaginative and quite original. If rumour, the rumourmonger deserves a pint of ale.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-28-2013 at 08:01 PM.
06-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Whatever it turns out to be, I admit is very imaginative and original.
Well, Nesster (Jussi)...It looks like your small joke is well on its way to becoming Internet truth! Excellent!

Steve
06-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, Nesster (Jussi)...It looks like your small joke is well on its way to becoming Internet truth! Excellent!

Steve
Don't worry, we are having fun, that's all.
Even if Pentax officially comes out with one of these in hands, I still won't believe them.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-28-2013 at 11:35 PM.
06-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A little bird - one who is rarely wrong about Pentax - told me the FF Pentax will be an exercise in retro-cool: styled like a Spotmatic, but with a K mount (therefore more like a KX)
So that means it won't have a grip as per every DSLR.
06-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
So that means it won't have a grip as per every DSLR.
This is Spotmatic.

06-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

explain, in modern parlance, what this camera might mean in terms of the myriad 'wishlists' for a new professional Pentax offering?
It would meet my needs. The Spotmatic is basically a no-frills 35mm SLR that accepts excellent quality interchangeable lenses. It is robust and has an accurate shutter and built-in TTL metering system. If upgraded with a modern high speed shutter and flash hot shoe the form factor would be just about perfect along the same lines as the Epson R-D1.

I would be first in line to purchase...

Steve
06-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is Spotmatic.
Yes, I know. I'm curious as to what I wrote made you think I didn't.
06-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know about Ricoh in the world of proctology, but Pentax is a major maker of colonoscopes (maybe second only to Olympus?)
This is a cool rumour, but I wont be losing any sleep over it.
06-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #28
Pentaxian

But to spread it farther, Pentax must utter it louder, so we need 'louder' body, 'louder' sensor and 'louder' lenses too.
As in a sensor that gives lots of noise? Hm, I'd rather have a more 'silent' sensor.
06-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Well m42 is a screw mount (not bayonet) that used to be quite popular. It was used by many different brand. It is essentially a screw-on mechanism with a diameter of 42mm. Pentax used to use it in some of its iconic legendary SLR cameras. The good part is that the K-mount can take an m42 adapter very well (unlike some other brands), because they have the same register distance and the K-mount is just slightly larger than the m42. The problem with m42 is that it doesn't allow much automation, was never used in digital cameras, and next to no lenses are still being made for it (aside from maybe some Zenit and Arsat lenses). The other problem is that m42 cameras cannot take K-mount adapters. Well, they could, but it would be very complicated and the IQ would suffer.
So a modern digital camera with m42 sounds odd to say the least. But a modern camera with the Spotmatic name sounds like a good idea, since Spotmatic is such a legend. So a "Neo-Spotmatic" with K-mount and a good m42 adapter, and classic SLR look, sounds like an amazing product. It also sounds far-fetched, since it violates every rule of the modern camera industry and Pentax trends so far. But the OP is known for fairly reliable predictions in the past, I think?
06-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is Spotmatic.
If Pentax markets this fugly outdated contraption, I will dump all my Pentax equipment out of pure shame. I won't even sell it out of being afraid anyone notice me ever using Pentax.

I'm sure it was very nice and fashionable, back then in history. Just like disco, bellbottom pants and the volswagen beetle. Lets leave it there.