Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #151
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,824
Look at how smooth that bokeh is, great shot Ron.

08-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #152
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,613
That's an awesome photo, Ron.
08-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #153
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
As someone who has used Medium Format exclusively since the early nineties (Until 2011 when I bought my first DSLR, a Pentax K-5) I fully disagree. 1. Action. I can and have taken action photos with Medium Format film cameras,
That's great. I have 3 MF film cameras I shoot reagularly too and have since the late 80's. I tip my hat off to you sir for being able to capture spontaneous action as fast as a say a high end DSLR especially when using telephoto, handheld, with shallow DOF. I really wasn't thinking of setup action shots kind of thing.
08-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #154
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
well ofcourse you can:
You can shoot that with a manual film camera. You have all the time in the world to set the camera up and the diver is on a fixed plane ( going up/down and you only need shutter speed) and you are on a tripod at a fixed location. The shot is great but not really a very challenging action shot for any camera, no?

08-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #155
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
Guys, what I'm saying is more like the following shot. This shot is with a Pentax 67 and 300mm lens. This shot is a piece of cake for a modern sports camera. But I set this up aided by electronics I was testing. I had time to meter, focus and everything. But if you had to pick up your MF film/digital camera, aim and shoot the shot at a moments notice it would be more luck than certainty that you'd capture the shot, I feel.






Delta 3200

08-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #156
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You can shoot that with a manual film camera. You have all the time in the world to set the camera up and the diver is on a fixed plane ( going up/down and you only need shutter speed) and you are on a tripod at a fixed location. The shot is great but not really a very challenging action shot for any camera, no?
Offcourse there are more challenging tasks.

I once used the 645 FA*300mm/f4 lens with adapter on my K-5. So that is more difficult, since you somehow have one hand short to do everything. Wide open, manual focus on a girl biking by:



Same lens, but on 645D

(I read that catpictures and bikinigirls are equaly popular)
08-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #157
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 123
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Guys, what I'm saying is more like the following shot. This shot is with a Pentax 67 and 300mm lens. This shot is a piece of cake for a modern sports camera. But I set this up aided by electronics I was testing. I had time to meter, focus and everything. But if you had to pick up your MF film/digital camera, aim and shoot the shot at a moments notice it would be more luck than certainty that you'd capture the shot, I feel.






Delta 3200

Nice shot.
08-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #158
bvg
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chinchilla, Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 265
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
(I read that catpictures and bikinigirls are equaly popular)
But was not sure, biking or bikini

08-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #159
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,824
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Offcourse there are more challenging tasks.

I once used the 645 FA*300mm/f4 lens with adapter on my K-5. So that is more difficult, since you somehow have one hand short to do everything. Wide open, manual focus on a girl biking by:



Same lens, but on 645D

(I read that catpictures and bikinigirls are equaly popular)
A sure sign that the median age ot the population has gotten to be really high. And while that may be true, I'm sure it's not true across every demographic. The fact that in my house one of us like bikini girls and the other likes dog pictures makes them equally popular, but not universally popular in either instance.

Last edited by normhead; 08-21-2013 at 08:37 AM.
08-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #160
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A sure sign that the median age ot the population has gotten to be really high. And while that may be true, I'm sure it's not true across every demographic. The fact that in my house one of us like bikini girls and the other likes dog pictures makes them equally popular, but not universally ocular in either instance.
Since we moved on to the bikinigirls in this thread:



Fien Callens has just recently become Belgian Champion Beachvolleyball.

Offcourse with a FF camera you could controll the DOF much more then with a simple K-5 Silver Limited Edition..
08-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #161
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,760
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Guys, what I'm saying is more like the following shot. This shot is with a Pentax 67 and 300mm lens. This shot is a piece of cake for a modern sports camera. But I set this up aided by electronics I was testing. I had time to meter, focus and everything. But if you had to pick up your MF film/digital camera, aim and shoot the shot at a moments notice it would be more luck than certainty that you'd capture the shot, I feel.






Delta 3200

Very nice shot Tuco. If only the pup could have been captured with all four paws in the air . . . . . .
08-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #162
Moderator
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,760
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Offcourse with a FF camera you could controll the DOF much more then with a simple K-5 Silver Limited Edition..
And we all know it is all about how deep you can get.
08-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #163
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,103
QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
Nice shot.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Very nice shot Tuco. If only the pup could have been captured with all four paws in the air . . . . . .
Thanks. The shot was taken with a remote wireless IR beam switch I made for manual film cameras.
08-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #164
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Very nice shots!

Reading the last several posts, it would seem to me that action was never shot pre auto everything cameras... or if it was, one had to be a) lucky b) know what he's doing or c) both. Of course this is balderdash, I mean, Kodak invented you push the button and we do the rest... surely people have managed...

LOL. Just for fun, some pics from an era when 120 was lumped in with all the other minature formats...













Heck, you could even use a Canon




Eh, you get the idea…
08-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #165
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
The Ricoh GR has snap mode.

Before that no one could take good photos. It was impossible.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
flickr, frame, full-frame, k-5, pentax, photographer
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony Mirrorless Full Frame coming Winder Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 12-21-2012 11:05 PM
K30, K5n, K3 and maybe full-frame at Photokina... frankfanrui Pentax News and Rumors 638 09-06-2012 07:08 AM
24 megapixel Full Frame K-11 coming? RonHendriks1966 Pentax News and Rumors 80 06-19-2012 05:24 PM
There's GOTTA be a full frame coming... Cambo Photographic Industry and Professionals 40 03-05-2012 08:22 AM
Sony full-frame camera coming, 500mm F4 lens finally announced jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 2 02-09-2012 07:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top