Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #31
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
We have had tons of FF rumours last years and all of them have been vain.

I want FF (dont start again arguing why, I have my own reasoning. Period.)

Can anyone give me an good reason not jump to Nikon? it seems that we will not have FF Pentax at near future?

Despite 15 Pentax FF lens I have, I will bite the bullet and buy Nikon D800 very soon and start selling all Pentax stuff.
Read this : Hello Sony. Goodbye Nikon. The Story of why I am Switching from Nikon to Sony.

07-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have had tons of FF rumours last years and all of them have been vain.

I want FF (dont start again arguing why, I have my own reasoning. Period.)

Can anyone give me an good reason not jump to Nikon? it seems that we will not have FF Pentax at near future?

Despite 15 Pentax FF lens I have, I will bite the bullet and buy Nikon D800 very soon and start selling all Pentax stuff.
Honestly, no. If you need FF you should go to D800, it is an excellent camera and will serve your needs well. Pentax may at some point come out with a FF but after all the hype and expectations no matter what they come out with it will not live up to what everyone wants. So if you need FF for whatever reason, make the move and enjoy it. Many others have already done so.
07-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will never get rid of my Pentax gear, but a D800E, grip, extra batteries and a fast Nikon lens are currently sitting in my B&H shopping cart. I am sooooo close to pulling the trigger on all that goodness. How much does Pentax stand to lose in the coming weeks? $5,612.85.

So when Pentax keeps thinking about market and the games they continue to play, just how many Qs/K-01/MX-1 cameras will they have to sell to make back what I am going to spend with Nikon?

How many years will it take for those same people who buy the lesser tools/toys, to WANT to spend $5K+ on Pentax gear?

Sadly Pentax, asking me to buy into the 645D system, (while I *do* have a 645 film system), is too great a jump from my wonderful K5 cameras.

Pentax is not listening to folks like me, but I have to get equipment that can take me to the next level.

Oh well.
07-05-2013, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Pentax is not listening to folks like me, but I have to get equipment that can take me to the next level.
Yes you do, we all do, especially if any part of our income is based on photography. I think we may have to all realize that the 'Pentax' we have in our heads and hearts is no more than that, just our dreams. Ricoh will have their own plan and dreams and theirs may not be the same as ours. We would all like to see the Pentax of Spotmatic days but sadly I don't think that view is shared by corporate.

They may come out with a FF camera, honestly I think that is inevitable, but it might be years down the road (and possibly in pink), but when they do it will be because it made sense to them, not to us. The professional portion of the market is quite small and no matter what we think unless they feel they can make money at it they are not (and should not) jump into that portion of the market.

I'm not sure I need or want a FF camera, but I do wish the 'plan' would become clear so I could make decisions on lens purchases.

07-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
.......it might be years down the road (and possibly in pink)........
LOL!!
07-05-2013, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes you do, we all do, especially if any part of our income is based on photography. I think we may have to all realize that the 'Pentax' we have in our heads and hearts is no more than that, just our dreams. Ricoh will have their own plan and dreams and theirs may not be the same as ours. We would all like to see the Pentax of Spotmatic days but sadly I don't think that view is shared by corporate.

They may come out with a FF camera, honestly I think that is inevitable, but it might be years down the road (and possibly in pink), but when they do it will be because it made sense to them, not to us. The professional portion of the market is quite small and no matter what we think unless they feel they can make money at it they are not (and should not) jump into that portion of the market.

I'm not sure I need or want a FF camera, but I do wish the 'plan' would become clear so I could make decisions on lens purchases.
Agree 100%.

I suppose somewhere I have a fantasy that someone in Pentaxialand, is secretly reading what I say on the internet, and when they come across my recent musings/postings they sit back and say "Wow!!!!! If Lauren is saying these things, Oh Lauren, sweet Lauren, our BIGGEST fan and customer, then we must be doing something wrong! She's right...we need to listen to her and change our ways!"

Then I wake up.

07-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
"Wow!!!!! If Lauren is saying these things, Oh Lauren, sweet Lauren, our BIGGEST fan and customer, then we must be doing something wrong! She's right...we need to listen to her and change our ways!"
I'll have two of what ever your on.

07-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and say "Wow!!!!! If Lauren is saying these things, Oh Lauren, sweet Lauren, our BIGGEST fan and customer, then we must be doing something wrong! She's right...we need to listen to her and change our ways!"
ROFLMAO! Thank you, I needed I good laugh today.
07-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ROFLMAO! Thank you, I needed I good laugh today.
LOL.. Right?
07-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'll have two of what ever your on.
LOL. A girl can dream? Right?

It's the waking up part that always gets me!

07-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Wasn't there a rumour that that rumour was merely a rumour?
The rumour was merely rumour'd to be a rumour'd rumour. thats the rumour anyway. Allegedly.
07-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Lauren, but lately, Pentax has been all about me. Me, me, me. To my great surprise, they released two bodies that were nearly perfect for my needs (even tho' I didn't realize it in the case of the Brick), and even revised the K-30 when I said the shape of the grip hurt my hand. Why, they even listened when I wished they would do a Special Edition K-01 just to annoy people (sorry, I have a passive-aggressive streak ).

Seriously though, in the couple years that I've been following the whole FF thing, Pentax has gone from "we have no plans" to "we're looking at it" to "we're working on it". That's a pretty big change. Ever since they admitted they were working on it, the only estimates I've seen were 4th quarter 2013 at the absolute earliest, which didn't seem unreasonable considering Pentax usually takes 12-18 months for incremental improvements, and this is more of a new product line - and we surely wouldn't be satisfied if it only had a bigger sensor with Pentax' existing AF and video tech.

Meanwhile, with every press release and new product that isn't a FF, every wild rumor from someone's cousin's boyfriend's roommate, there are howls of betrayal - even though it's not even 4th quarter 2013 and the signs are still that Pentax is working on it. I'm reminded of a Sunday School trip where one of the kids kept upping her game from "are we there yet?" to "you said it would take ten minutes" to "you said it would take two minutes" (it took three hours, and everyone said so from the start) (She was lucky it was a church group. ).

For the folks that need FF NOW, Pentax just doesn't have it. If you need it in six months, they might have it. Twelve months, I'll go so far as to say "probably". But it won't be good enough, because we keep wanting more, faster.

But I'll ask them to hurry.
07-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #43

So, conclusion is just as I thought it to be: we will not have Pentax FF within an year in shop shelf's. We maybe have some kind of mock-up next big photo fair,what ever it is, and actual release ~next spring, and maybe some of us have been able to buy one ~summer 2014. And that obviously is the best case scenario.... ;-)

Well, I continue counting my coins, and when there is plenty of them, go to local Nikon dealer. I am not coming any younger and waiting for years after years is no option for me anymore, sorry.
07-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, conclusion is just as I thought it to be: we will not have Pentax FF within an year in shop shelf's. We maybe have some kind of mock-up next big photo fair,what ever it is, and actual release ~next spring, and maybe some of us have been able to buy one ~summer 2014. And that obviously is the best case scenario.... ;-)

Well, I continue counting my coins, and when there is plenty of them, go to local Nikon dealer. I am not coming any younger and waiting for years after years is no option for me anymore, sorry.
Like you, I've been waiting for a long time for this much-anticipated but still-mythical Pentax beast. Unlike you, I've not had to save my coins, but I haven't moved to another brand, because I looked and didn't like what I saw or felt. I think I'm pretty fit for my age, but I find that lugging my K-5 and a modest set of lenses (DA16-50, DA50-135, FA31, DA15) around is quite enough for me. No D800 or 5D for me – I respect my spine and joints too much. Of course, if I was studio-bound, it might be a different story, but then I'd probably be looking at a MF setup. The physical size and ergonomics of the Canon and Nikon FFs is a major put-off for me. Jogiba's reference is one you might seriously look at and consider.
07-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm... I'm a little more optimistic than that timeline - I think "probably" to "definitely" by next summer. I don't think we'll hear anything but "we're working on it" or see a mock-up before launch. When Pentax/Ricoh have shown mock-ups, it's generally been "this is something we are thinking about doing", rather than show their hand on a new product. I mean, if a non-functioning mock-up would get people to hold off buying a Canikony, they could display anything - a K10D body with a decal for a sensor woudl do - but that would be deceptive.

I will say I handled a D700 while playing tourist last fall, and I wasn't impressed. Maybe the owner had it set up badly, but in low light (which, for me, is the most important performance area), my lowly K-r took better shots.